Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

20 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

That penalty will be what he’s remembered for unfortunately 

The irony that Maddison will be remembered for that penalty whilst Tielemans will be forever remembered for that FA Cup winning goal.

Both players deserve to be remember fondly overall, but on this season many think Madders deserves more recognition, but it will be Tielemans that will get it in the long term

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lionator said:

A top quality player shouldn’t be outwitted at a penalty. A top quality player puts it in the top corner and leaves the keeper with no chance, they don’t put themselves in a 50/50 position. 

I think a top quality player doesn’t make a top quality penalty taker though. I feel that your assuming to be a top player you need to be a top penalty taker, and that’s just not the case. Unfortunately, we do not have a top quality penalty taker and haven’t had one for as long as I can remember, we have to go back to MON era before we can say we were dangerous from any set piece (that’s probably a tad unfair on Paul Gallagher who was decent) 

for the life of me I can’t remember the full backs name who used to play for Burnley, he never missed a penalty in his career and was a top quality penalty taker, problem is he was a bang average full back and that’s why he played for Burnley. 

4 minutes ago, CountesthorpeFox1 said:

I think a top quality player doesn’t make a top quality penalty taker though. I feel that your assuming to be a top player you need to be a top penalty taker, and that’s just not the case. Unfortunately, we do not have a top quality penalty taker and haven’t had one for as long as I can remember, we have to go back to MON era before we can say we were dangerous from any set piece (that’s probably a tad unfair on Paul Gallagher who was decent) 

for the life of me I can’t remember the full backs name who used to play for Burnley, he never missed a penalty in his career and was a top quality penalty taker, problem is he was a bang average full back and that’s why he played for Burnley. 

...Messi and CR7 take them!!!

Tielemans has a very good conversion rate along with Nacho, Maddison is the least successful penalty taker of the four. 

If you are going to be that predictable then the odds go with the Keeper who has done his homework. 

Going by your take on this, Amartey should be our penalty taker.

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

...Messi and CR7 take them!!!

Tielemans has a very good conversion rate along with Nacho, Maddison is the least successful penalty taker of the four. 

If you are going to be that predictable then the odds go with the Keeper who has done his homework. 

Going by your take on this, Amartey should be our penalty taker.

Both Messi and Ronaldo have missed them!! Doesn’t make them bad players. 

I'm not sure how my take suggests Amartey take them? I’m also not saying Maddison should be taking them over Nacho or Tielmans, I said earlier Tielmans bottled taking it. Nacho wasn’t on the pitch. 

My take is our best penalty taker should take them, I just don’t know who that is as I don’t see them practice them. My take is Maddison shouldn’t be slated for missing a penalty, I’m not defending him against criticism, I’m defending him for people saying down the middle was stupid etc. You have 3 options when taking a penalty. Left, right or centre. Going central gives the keeper the best chance of a save but also minimises the risk of missing the target. If he gone right and dragged it wide but Pickford stayed still people would be moaning at him for that. A penalty is not as straight forward as a goal, albeit the odds are heavily swayed in your favour 

1 hour ago, CountesthorpeFox1 said:

Don’t buy that about the penalty, he missed a penalty. Wasn’t an awful pen, Pickford just outwitted him. 

we were still winning that game of football at the time, the team mentality from missing the penalty was weak, not just Maddison’s. 

I’m not saying he could have been better in the final run in but he won’t be able to be replaced in terms of quality whichever division we are i. At the end of the day.

If Madders had have just had a peep at Pickfords water bottle, it was there, in black and white FFS, Maddison down the middle!!

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

A top quality player shouldn’t be outwitted at a penalty. A top quality player puts it in the top corner and leaves the keeper with no chance, they don’t put themselves in a 50/50 position. 

I’ve seen the best players miss penalties - it’s not fifa. (However see my end point below)

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

Powder puff straight down the middle and exactly where Pickford knew it was going. Pickford didn’t need to outwit him, because Maddison was about as dumb as you could be taking that. 

Don’t buy that about the penalty, he missed a penalty. Wasn’t an awful pen, Pickford just outwitted him. 

wasn’t an awful penalty - it was right in the centre of the goal five half feet off the ground - struck ok too. No keeper who dives saves that, even with a trailing leg. BUT - it was a big risk to stick it down the middle after putting 2 of your 3 previous pens down the middle. 

you have to earn the right to stick a pen down the middle and that’s based on having struck a few to the left and a few to the right. Madders hadn’t reached that stage in his pen taking career.  I would ask if anyone in the coaching side of the club had discussed pens with him and this side of it. Just as Everton had done their homework on our takers, had we done any homework on Pickford and how they may prepare for us in the event of us getting a pen.  fail to prepare = prepare to fail! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tuna said:

One last performance Madders - pretend it's the final game before the World Cup final and you're desperate to get in that squad!

This is the funny thing isn't it.

When he was playing well, deserving of a call up, he never got called up.

Now, playing awful, not being arsed, not putting a shift in and been checked out for months, not deserving a call up and he get's a call up. :crylaugh: 

Beggers belief and sums up everything that is wrong with England's selection policy. The cynic in me suggests Southgate/England/The FA know he'll be a a 'top' club come the end of the season therefore he becomes an automatic pick by default.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CountesthorpeFox1 said:

we were still winning that game of football at the time, the team mentality from missing the penalty was weak, not just Maddison’s. 

I’m not saying he could have been better in the final run in but he won’t be able to be replaced in terms of quality whichever division we are i. At the end of the day.

Pickford/Everton done their due diligence that Maddison was likely to hit it down the middle from his previous career penalties taken.

Perhaps if Leicester had done the same and told Maddison the same information about himself that Pickford/Everton knew he would have slotted it in one of the corners and we go 3-1 up and the butterfly effect makes the situation look very different than it does today. I blame the club for not informing Maddison of what Everton knew rather than blame Maddison

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Pickford/Everton done their due diligence that Maddison was likely to hit it down the middle from his previous career penalties taken.

Perhaps if Leicester had done the same and told Maddison the same information about himself that Pickford/Everton knew he would have slotted it in one of the corners and we go 3-1 up and the butterfly effect makes the situation look very different than it does today. I blame the club for not informing Maddison of what Everton knew rather than blame Maddison

Maddison trained with Pickford for the whole World Cup. He knows what he is like and he knows how he goes about penalties. Pickford used all his experience and Maddison used none of his. He was exceptionally cocky and found wanting. 

It’s behind us now.  A great performance today would be the perfect send off. 

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

And perhaps they did tell him that, and Maddison, knowing that Pickford knew he often went down the middle, thought Pickford would think he'd go to one side, so went down the middle...

We don't know. Penalties are a kicker and a keeper trying to second-guess each other. Sometimes the kicker wins, sometimes the keeper. There's no point us over-analysing it. And hardly anyone scores all their penalties, so I'm not going to go all-in on anyone for missing any given penalty. At least they had the balls to take it.

Me, I'd just kick it hard to one side or the other, so even if the keeper saves it I don't look like a total arse for trying something fancy that fell flat.

Not that I'd have the balls to take one anyway!

2 hours ago, CountesthorpeFox1 said:

Both Messi and Ronaldo have missed them!! Doesn’t make them bad players. 

I'm not sure how my take suggests Amartey take them? I’m also not saying Maddison should be taking them over Nacho or Tielmans, I said earlier Tielmans bottled taking it. Nacho wasn’t on the pitch. 

My take is our best penalty taker should take them, I just don’t know who that is as I don’t see them practice them. My take is Maddison shouldn’t be slated for missing a penalty, I’m not defending him against criticism, I’m defending him for people saying down the middle was stupid etc. You have 3 options when taking a penalty. Left, right or centre. Going central gives the keeper the best chance of a save but also minimises the risk of missing the target. If he gone right and dragged it wide but Pickford stayed still people would be moaning at him for that. A penalty is not as straight forward as a goal, albeit the odds are heavily swayed in your favour 

...someone has previously posted the success percentage of those  four, and if I recall, Nacho is number 1, number two is Tielemans, number 3 is Vardy and least successful is Maddison!!!

23 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...someone has previously posted the success percentage of those  four, and if I recall, Nacho is number 1, number two is Tielemans, number 3 is Vardy and least successful is Maddison!!!

I probably mentally blocked the stats out, I’m sure they don’t make for pleasant reading 

He's the mirror image of Rogers, but as a player. A flat track bully. Excellent when the goings good. On the front foot, against lesser outfits. But when the going gets tough. Too often disappears and fails to impose himself. 

He's a talented lad. But not as good as the hype. And will not have the stomach for a championship scrap. 

• Like 4

What was he doing with his kid in the line up before kick off.

Massive game today and he's waving at his Mrs in the crowd like a competition winner.  Bizarre.

To be fair. He did play well today. But still a bit odd.

3 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

He's the mirror image of Rogers, but as a player. A flat track bully. Excellent when the goings good. On the front foot, against lesser outfits. But when the going gets tough. Too often disappears and fails to impose himself. 

He's a talented lad. But not as good as the hype. And will not have the stomach for a championship scrap. 

He doesn't need to. He's not gonna be in the championship anytime soon lmao.