Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

20 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

There's a feeling from some fans that if a press/media article doesn't provide "quotes" then it is somehow less believable.

Just like with politics, football journalists get briefed. We get told stuff to use as long as it's not attributed to the person/people. 

For example, remember all those pieces during Puel's tenure, explaining what was going on, all the problems? There wasn't quotes. But the stories were true.

Hope that helps.

PS I don't think there's much in this story right now

It's amazing how often you come across this - "This story contains no quotes and doesn't name any sources, so it must be rubbish". Literally no understanding whatsoever of how off-the-record stories work.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, KFS said:

All I know is when Brendan decides to leave, I want some up and coming management superstar like a Klopp or Pep type.

when Brendan decides to leave, I want some up and coming management superstar like a Rodgers type.

54 minutes ago, shen said:

He's already at a club of equivalent stature in RBL, so my guess is he will take a step up from there, not a sideways one.

53 minutes ago, Stadt said:

As much as I dislike Leipzig, we would be a sideways move for him. He's destined for Dortmund or Bayern

You're both probably correct, but hypothetically speaking and Rodgers left, that's who I'd want us to go for. If you don't ask, you don't get. A cheeky approach wouldn't hurt.

2 hours ago, ktfox59 said:

You never know how good things were, till they have gone. That obviously the feeling the Celtic board, as the sit several zillion points behind Rangers and see also little old mediocre us sitting ing 3rd in one of the most powerful leagues in the world.

I remember when we recruited him, losts of lcfc posters were telling us about how negstive he is. 1  route boring football, and used every loss as a way to confirm this. Get him out. We only finished 5th when it should have been.CL place, forgetting horrendous injuries to key players, then the covid break. I truly believe if that break hadnt come we would have been top four. He deservrs the utmost of respect for what he has done this season. Playing kids in europe cups. 2nd 11s . No manager could do what he has with the budget and injuries. I would say he is way above already the best manager we have ever had. Yes the best. As i daid to start. You never know what you had till they have gone.

Yeah, I've been a fan of Rodgers since i saw a program about him at Swansea, he'd been to study coaching in Spain and Holland and said everyone at the club was important from the kit man to the tea lady. I remember telling my Liverpool mate he'd bring sucess to Liverpool when he went there, if they gave him time to implement his methods.and felt a bit jealous tbh. Couldn't believe it when he came here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ktfox59 said:

You never know how good things were, till they have gone. That obviously the feeling the Celtic board, as the sit several zillion points behind Rangers and see also little old mediocre us sitting ing 3rd in one of the most powerful leagues in the world.

I remember when we recruited him, losts of lcfc posters were telling us about how negstive he is. 1  route boring football, and used every loss as a way to confirm this. Get him out. We only finished 5th when it should have been.CL place, forgetting horrendous injuries to key players, then the covid break. I truly believe if that break hadnt come we would have been top four. He deservrs the utmost of respect for what he has done this season. Playing kids in europe cups. 2nd 11s . No manager could do what he has with the budget and injuries. I would say he is way above already the best manager we have ever had. Yes the best. As i daid to start. You never know what you had till they have gone.

To be honest the match threads after a defeat are full of folk head banging about this.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Corky said:

For however poor and toxic it was with Puel, Rodgers wouldn't have taken the job when Shakespeare left. We needed a go-between.

We've clearly upgraded massively, Puel was never a long-term thing but we brought in players during his time that have allowed us to attract top coaches.

He's gone and nobody wants him back. Every single one of us would choose Rodgers any day.

...not sure the club saw Puel as a short term manager!!!

Had he the rapport with the players and they had bought into his ideas, his tenure would have perhaps continued to the end of his contract. Why would you be looking into appointing another manager when all we were looking for was stability at the time.

40 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

The bundesliga is where we should look if/when Brendan does go. Klopp, Pep, hassenhuttl and now tuchel all have been there. 

If Brendan left Hasenhuttl would be a good shout actually. Think he’s a brilliant manager. X 

• Like 2

BR isnt leaving. He's just got the training centre he's been quoted as saying in interviews is one of the main reasons he joined us. With the facilities we've now got and the potential for player development for Rodgers, is anyone seriously thinking he's off anytime soon? 

Edited by UHDrive
Typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...not sure the club saw Puel as a short term manager!!!

Had he the rapport with the players and they had bought into his ideas, his tenure would have perhaps continued to the end of his contract. Why would you be looking into appointing another manager when all we were looking for was stability at the time.

The whole process was thrown out due to Ranieri's second season. The ideal scenario was for Ranieri to give us a couple of comfortable years after the title win and drift off into the sunset leaving us a settled Premier League team. Clearly that went by the wayside and the Shakespeare experiment looked forced rather than natural.

We therefore had to find somebody at short notice to drag us out of the poor form we were in and get us stabilised. Let's not forget that at the time the options were limited- reputationally we were poor having been seen as the villains who binned a league winning manager ruthlessly and the squad needed tweaking. There was no Maddison, no Ricardo, no Soyuncu, no Tielemans. Barnes was still raw. The senior players supposedly led the place and weren't easy to work with.

Puel had finished 8th and reached a cup final (which he should've won) and could offer temporary respite whilst we looked longer term. Of course, had he been a better man manager and a suitable fit he may've stayed longer but his tenure of seeing in younger players and getting us to mid-table allowed the club breathing space to look for the next appointment and it seems Rodgers was lined up long before he arrived. Rodgers inherited a much better set-up than Puel and has delivered more with it, thankfully.

5 minutes ago, Corky said:

The whole process was thrown out due to Ranieri's second season. The ideal scenario was for Ranieri to give us a couple of comfortable years after the title win and drift off into the sunset leaving us a settled Premier League team. Clearly that went by the wayside and the Shakespeare experiment looked forced rather than natural.

We therefore had to find somebody at short notice to drag us out of the poor form we were in and get us stabilised. Let's not forget that at the time the options were limited- reputationally we were poor having been seen as the villains who binned a league winning manager ruthlessly and the squad need tweaking. There was no Maddison, no Ricardo, no Soyuncu, no Tielemans. Barnes was still raw. The senior players supposedly led the place and weren't easy to work with.

Puel had finished 8th and reached a cup final (which he should've won) and could offer temporary respite whilst we looked longer term. Of course, had he been a better man manager and a suitable fit he may've stayed longer but his tenure of seeing in younger players and getting us to mid-table allowed the club breathing space to look for the next appointment and it seems Rodgers was lined up long before he arrived. Rodgers inherited a much better set-up than Puel and has delivered more with it, thankfully.

....I agree that Puel was acquired at short notice as Shakespeare's  ability was being called into question!!!

But I do not agree that Puel was seen as a stop gap before we could find a manager we could entrust with a 5 year contract and all the backing that he needs.

I am not aware that Rodgers had already being lined up for the role and just as right now he is being linked with the Chelsea vacancy and I suspect that too will be perceived as him being previously lined up for the Chelsea job. There is always speculation in regards availability of managers to fill a potential managerial role and names are constantly being put forward by journalist and supporters alike, the mere fact that one of these speculative figures is given the role does not mean that any previous agreements were already in place.

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....I agree that Puel was acquired at short notice as Shakespeare's  ability was being called into question!!!

But I do not agree that Puel was seen as a stop gap before we could find a manager we could entrust with a 5 year contract and all the backing that he needs.

I am not aware that Rodgers had already being lined up for the role and just as right now he is being linked with the Chelsea vacancy and I suspect that too will be perceived as him being previously lined up for the Chelsea job. There is always speculation in regards availability of managers to fill a potential managerial role and names are constantly being put forward by journalist and supporters alike, the mere fact that one of these speculative figures is given the role does not mean that any previous agreements were already in place.

Puel and Rodgers were initially given a similar length of contract, Rodgers signed his new deal 10 months in. They were both given a three year deal give or take a few months with the appointment dates. Maybe not a stop gap but certainly not someone who would stick around for a long time. We seem to give each manager the same type of initial deal, let's not forget Shakespeare was given three years to begin with. It's probably as much to do with giving yourself some protection should they do well and are approached by other teams.

When I say lined up, I mean that he was the first choice and they were probably making plans to move for him during Puel's first year. I think they wanted to wait until the summer after he actually joined before going to get Rodgers but the loss of form and toxic atmosphere hastened it all.

Rodgers seems like a manager they want to build everything up whereas Puel was someone to do the original transitioning.

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

Puel and Rodgers were initially given a similar length of contract, Rodgers signed his new deal 10 months in. They were both given a three year deal give or take a few months with the appointment dates. Maybe not a stop gap but certainly not someone who would stick around for a long time. We seem to give each manager the same type of initial deal, let's not forget Shakespeare was given three years to begin with. It's probably as much to do with giving yourself some protection should they do well and are approached by other teams.

When I say lined up, I mean that he was the first choice and they were probably making plans to move for him during Puel's first year. I think they wanted to wait until the summer after he actually joined before going to get Rodgers but the loss of form and toxic atmosphere hastened it all.

Rodgers seems like a manager they want to build everything up whereas Puel was someone to do the original transitioning.

....I am not going to argue this matter as I am not privy to the goings on at the club or their train of thought!!!

There is a very large amount of Foxestalk posters who believed Puel should have been the long term manager and the toxicity of the forum had something like a 50/50 split

regarding him staying or going. I suspect a lot of people on here, viewed his suitability of tenure differently

5 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

The same senior players who Rodgers has found it very easy to work with, who bought into his vision straight away, has got fabulous results with, making him the best performing manager (results wise) in our history?

The players were not the big problem during Puel's tenure.

Had he worked with them rather than pursuing his own flawed and stubborn ways, he could easily have found some success.

That's what really frustrated me - he had no flexibility, he wanted to move on all the immortals, he could have made few simple tweaks to keep players on board but his way of working alienated him from players, the backroom team and other club staff. The way certain people (players and otherwise) were treated by him was an utter disgrace and it leaves a bitter taste.

I wanted him (as with every manager) to be successful because that means the team I support is doing well.

Only had himself to blame for his own downfall.

And when he did subsequent interviews he said he "wouldn't change anything" about how he did things with us, that tells you plenty about his mentality.

Did you mean to say..

Mentalitieeeeeeeeeeeeee?