Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Post Brexit Foreign Player Signings

Guest Kopfkino
3 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Although initially painful, restrictions on transfers in terms of overseas players would be great for the English game imo, not only would more English players be forced to get more games which would help the national team but it would also help narrow the gap between the top clubs and the rest. No longer would they be able to simply fill their sides up with foreign players, spending an obscene amount of money to speed away from the chasing pack. Man City being the worst example of that.

I'd love to see a 6+5 rule introduced across Europe as I think it would A: level the playing field a good bit and B: see some authenticity and national identity return to football but I can't see it happening, the franchise type clubs would simply set their lawyers on it and say it restricts trade and goes against the free market or something like that.

How would it narrow the gap? The big clubs will be able to sign more of the players that do meet the criteria than the lesser clubs. It makes it harder for the smaller clubs to sign a Kante, Mane, Van Dijk etc and leaves them fishing around the Championship more, doesn't scream good for closing the gap.

27 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

England’s problems for years has far less to do with foreign players playing in the Premier League and more to do with the lack of English players willing to move abroad themselves.

We appear to develop players who want to sit in their comfort zone, rather than going to play in Spain, Italy or Germany. 
Look at any successful team internationally they have players playing in all major European leagues and experienced players in many different environments.

I'm not sure it's about them happy to sit in their comfort zone any more than them already being in perhaps the best league.

1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

How would it narrow the gap? The big clubs will be able to sign more of the players that do meet the criteria than the lesser clubs. It makes it harder for the smaller clubs to sign a Kante, Mane, Van Dijk etc and leaves them fishing around the Championship more, doesn't scream good for closing the gap.

Look at the Leicester side the last few years. 

Vardy

Barnes

Maddison

Chilwell

Evans

Using the the 6+5 rule in my OP that would stand up to pretty much all the other sides in the EPL’s home nations players. 

If teams like Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal were forced to similarly play 5 or 6 home nations players every week, guys like Shaw, Stones, etc, etc it would undoubtedly bring Leicester closer to them. These clubs are propped up by the fact they can go out and spend millions on top foreign talent at any moment. If they were forced to field home grown players it would of course narrow the gap  as there would be more focus on coaching and youth development in developing home nations players than simply going out and throwing money at foreign players all the time.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

All the more reason we need to be throwing a shit load of money and focus on our academy.

Tbf you are already doing that with your training ground. The best way to invest in your academy is via infrastructure and top coaches which you seem to be on point with already. Identifying good young players is easy, developing them and turning them into first team players is the hard part.

23 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Tbf you are already doing that with your training ground. The best way to invest in your academy is via infrastructure and top coaches which you seem to be on point with already. Identifying good young players is easy, developing them and turning them into first team players is the hard part.

Top coaches and our academy isn't something that I'd associate one another with.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Top coaches and our academy isn't something that I'd associate one another with.  

Yet. I haven't given up hope. That's a lot of money to spend to not get a return on investment.

2 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

It would for a while but English clubs would soon re-aclimitise. English clubs dominated Europe long before there even was an EPL. Anything to bring the rawness and the authenticity of the game back is a good thing imo. If money and generating as much of it as possible is the sole driver then of course it wouldn’t be a good thing.

It's very different now though, this is just another metric that will hurt the outsiders while the 'big 6' get the pick of the talent.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's very different now though, this is just another metric that will hurt the outsiders while the 'big 6' get the pick of the talent.

They get the pick of the talent at the moment already tbf, nothing will change in that respect. If the top 6 were interested in guys like Castagne, Fofana for example they would have went there, as bitter a pill as it may be to swallow.

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

I don't see why any pro footballer can't get a working visa for at least as long as their contract is. They're gonna be earning plenty of money and putting it back into the country.

It's not really about visas it's about the FA trying to protect the English game, a lot of which is subjective so there will always be arguments over where to draw the line. A bit like VAR and the Offside rulings.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, davieG said:

It's not really about visas it's about the FA trying to protect the English game, a lot of which is subjective so there will always be arguments over where to draw the line. A bit like VAR and the Offside rulings.

Oh right, so it's nothing to do with brexit then, just a coincidence. I probably should have read the article haha

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Oh right, so it's nothing to do with brexit then, just a coincidence. I probably should have read the article haha

Well it is but it's the FA that decide how to interpret it and where to set the skill level. Hence in the OP  it refers to "major concerns over new FA transfer plan"

Well that's what I understand but could be wrong

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

The academy is untouchable as our DOF was the academy director before he got this role and still has a big say in it, kept his mates in the top jobs.

Aah that makes sense then. We had/have a fairly successful academy in terms of supplying players to the first team, but Rodgers gutted other aspects of the coaching side when he arrived (for the better) that's why I assumed he'd have done similar at Leicester.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

I don't see why any pro footballer can't get a working visa for at least as long as their contract is. They're gonna be earning plenty of money and putting it back into the country.

I don't think it's about that, the financial aspect, I think the rules, well initially anyway were designed so that home grown players weren't stifled by cheap foreign imports. Hence the existing criteria, in most cases anyway of 75% of your countries international appearances in the last two years and from a nation in the top 100 or something like that. 

I'd love to see the days again where English sides had a core of English players, Scottish, German, French and Spanish the same. Sides play to their national identity again and you see real contrasting styles coming up against one another again, that's what makes football really interesting imo. Everyone trying to pass out from the back or previously trying to copy tiki-taka makes it pretty vanilla and you lose some of the rawness and edge from bygone years imo.

21 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I'm not saying it's the reason either, I only mentioned it to disprove your point about English players learning from them which I think is a fallacy and I used the national teams recent record to illustrate that. You've said yourself Englan's record has hardly improved so that disproves your own point, they can't be learning much at all.

EPL clubs spend more on youth, far more than any other league in the world already. The problem isn't investment in youth, the problem that blocks the pathway of a lot of young players in EPL academies is how easily clubs can go and pick up an off the shelf ready made European player for millions as most are so terrified of being relegated from the league and the riches participation brings evaporating. The best way for English players to improve is by having a pathway to play lots of games in the EPL before the age of 23 and restrictions on overseas signings would undoubtedly force clubs into doing that.

I think banning some foreigners is a quick and easy and pleasing solution but I doubt it will improve the quality of English players and the English game.

(As a side point, reducing the quality of premier league players will decrease the level than English players need to achieve to succeed.)

Anyhow, do you think 17 year old English players are better than or at least as good as their Spanish, German and French counterparts?

11 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Anyhow, do you think 17 year old English players are better than or at least as good as their Spanish, German and French counterparts?

There's no reason why they shouldn't be their equals, it's down to identifying and developing them in a way that brings out their natural skills and adds others.

I guess it also depends on the measure you use, we seem to select players on either strength or speed, gifted ball players, especially if they don't appear to have a physical strength have often struggled to find a way in. Although I'd like to think that is starting to change.

But that's just how i see it others may view it differently.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I think banning some foreigners is a quick and easy and pleasing solution but I doubt it will improve the quality of English players and the English game.

(As a side point, reducing the quality of premier league players will decrease the level than English players need to achieve to succeed.)

I'm not talking about banning foreigners but having some sort of restriction on the amount you can have in a squad would lead to positive results long term imo. 

Like I said I don't think it would reduce the quality of English players, English sides dominated in Europe way before the influx of foreign players. Furthermore, the best ones would still be in the league, all it would do would be to remove the plethora of average foreign journeymen in the EPL, of which there are probably 5 or 6 of for every exceptional foreign player.

I think they are yes and winning world cups and european championships at youth level suggests exactly this. The problem with EPL clubs is they don't give them the chance though. Other nations can identify how good they are, look at Jadon Sancho for example, he'd still be being nursed into first team football at Man City like Foden whereas he left and tore up the Bundesliga in his teens and he's now one of the best young players on the planet. The problem is as we've seen with Sancho, Bellngham, Hudson-Odoi and others is that German clubs spot the potential easier than EPL clubs.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson