Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

Why is Standard definition so poor? I'm watching the Man City - Liverpool game and it's so piss poor! The amount we pay for sky sports and I can't even make out who's playing for either team. And I refuse to pay for HD, I mean its nearly 2023, you'd think that would be standard nowadays. I don't remember our old tvs being so bad back in the day :dunno:

1 hour ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

Why is Standard definition so poor? I'm watching the Man City - Liverpool game and it's so piss poor! The amount we pay for sky sports and I can't even make out who's playing for either team. And I refuse to pay for HD, I mean its nearly 2023, you'd think that would be standard nowadays. I don't remember our old tvs being so bad back in the day :dunno:

Larger screens?

If you had a 26in TV back in the day, that was huge and it was 4:3 ratio.

A typical screen is probably twice that now.

11 hours ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

9 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Larger screens?

If you had a 26in TV back in the day, that was huge and it was 4:3 ratio.

A typical screen is probably twice that now.

Free Falling Fox is right, it’ll be mostly likely to do with the size of your tv, panel type/quality/refresh rate, signal strength etc…if you have it on more than 43” SD isn’t really suitable, personally. We had a 43” plasma (bought in 2010) with SD and while not perfect, it was fine to watch. TVs now are more geared up to HD as well, which don’t help. Try looking at picture settings on the tv, take some advance settings off, try different modes if available. 

But I do agree, that Sky really shouldn’t be charging extra for HD these days, I think that’s a bit of a con and should be standard. 

Edited by fox_favourite

Apparently the new Spoty person Beth Mead has asked for a global (not national or in Europe but global no less!) study into why women suffer more from acl injuries than men ..  if it was Messi or Ronaldo she continues then much more would be done about it ! ..  well ..  all I’ll say is no woman I’ve ever known (mother sisters wife, friends mothers sisters and wives, .. ) has EVER suffered an acl injury whilst doing the cooking or cleaning the house ..   just saying ..  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

I thought Sky Sports was only in HD these days?

I know they used to charge extra for HD broadcasts (one of the reasons I binned them off years ago) but I was under the impression they started putting it all in HD and you had to pay whether you wanted/needed HD or not

4 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I know they used to charge extra for HD broadcasts (one of the reasons I binned them off years ago) but I was under the impression they started putting it all in HD and you had to pay whether you wanted/needed HD or not

No, BT sport I have in HD and ultra HD which I don't pay any extra for which is a great channel for the football, as long as you mute the commentary! 

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Not sure if they screwing me but I had to pay extra for sports HD (£5) even though I had already got a HD package for the normal channels + cinema they said sports didn’t fit in that package 🤷‍♂️ 

Now every time  I renew they have intertwined their packages that you can’t get rid of something without losing something you want and vice versa. I’m sure they said if I’d cancelled cinema I’d lose HD on the normal channels or something daft like that.

So much for the Believe in Better and Entertainment YOUR way

38 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Not sure if they screwing me but I had to pay extra for sports HD (£5) even though I had already got a HD package for the normal channels + cinema they said sports didn’t fit in that package 🤷‍♂️ 

Now every time  I renew they have intertwined their packages that you can’t get rid of something without losing something you want and vice versa. I’m sure they said if I’d cancelled cinema I’d lose HD on the normal channels or something daft like that.

So much for the Believe in Better and Entertainment YOUR way

Ended up cancelling my Sky TV subscription last week. Contract was up and wanted to remove all of the filler that I didn't use.

Found the process ridiculous, so many things you couldn't have without having something else.

In the end just told them to forget it and cancel. Will be a decent saving each month.

To add aswell, I find it appalling that you can't downgrade online on your account page. You have to go through calling and being passed around for ages.

Will never sign up with them again.

Edited by Rain King
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Apparently the new Spoty person Beth Mead has asked for a global (not national or in Europe but global no less!) study into why women suffer more from acl injuries than men ..  if it was Messi or Ronaldo she continues then much more would be done about it ! ..  well ..  all I’ll say is no woman I’ve ever known (mother sisters wife, friends mothers sisters and wives, .. ) has EVER suffered an acl injury whilst doing the cooking or cleaning the house ..   just saying ..  

I do appreciate your humour 

she does have a real point though - the only realistic explanation I’ve seen is that boots are designed for the way that men run and turn and women are made differently 

Just now, st albans fox said:

she does have a real point though - the only realistic explanation I’ve seen is that boots are designed for the way that men run and turn and women are made differently 

Yeah.

I can't see what objection anyone would have to this kind of research that would only add to knowledge.

21 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I suspect that the issue is that the industry doesn’t want to to carry 30% more stock than it currently has to plus investment in researching the new design 

I was referring more to the research into such ACL injuries itself, rather than the corollaries that might result.

That way the money-grubbers don't have an excuse to go on about having to do the things mentioned here if they don't want to.

On 23/12/2022 at 12:05, st albans fox said:

I've seen the difference in hips (and therefore angle of thighs) suggested as a reason, but I don't know if there's any substance to that.

8 hours ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

I've seen the difference in hips (and therefore angle of thighs) suggested as a reason, but I don't know if there's any substance to that.

Interesting point ..  so maybe woman suffer more acl injuries because they are women ..  not sure where that leads to though ..  maybe only transgender women should play football as they wouldn’t have big hips ..  just a thought ..  :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 22/12/2022 at 22:35, Soup said:

Our city is dead this evening on the Thursday before Christmas. I'm so glad I got to see it when it was alive and kicking. So sad

To be fair, there's not much in town to go in for, was going to the Santander bank and had  a look around, the centre is a pale shadow of what it used to be, mostly coffee, fast food places, betting shops, barbers etc., laced with a good number of beggars and the Xmas decorations were crap as per usual compared to what they used to be like.

Think most peeps go out of town now to get items they do not want to rely on the postal services with.

On 23/12/2022 at 11:21, Rain King said:

Ended up cancelling my Sky TV subscription last week. Contract was up and wanted to remove all of the filler that I didn't use.

Found the process ridiculous, so many things you couldn't have without having something else.

In the end just told them to forget it and cancel. Will be a decent saving each month.

To add aswell, I find it appalling that you can't downgrade online on your account page. You have to go through calling and being passed around for ages.

Will never sign up with them again.

I still have the broadband and a landline but thats because I'm out of contract and can dump them at any time, as for the TV, they messed me around after I went out of contract so I left and now for the past year have been getting constant come back Emails and regular mail but Freeview  is more than adequate and with Disney+ and Netflix being readily available and easily cancelled I will never, NEVER go back :)