Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

40 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

So after going through the late 20s early 30s "why haven't you had kids yet" from friends and family and then finally having one (by accident, but it still counts) 2 months ago, I have a parent related question that is itching my mind. 

What sort of absolute brain dead idiot has one of these things and then a year later goes "let's have another one?" or better yet, pressures others into having one. 

Nutters everywhere. 

If you’ve never experienced the joys of sleep deprivation for three straight years then you haven’t lived imo.

43 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

So after going through the late 20s early 30s "why haven't you had kids yet" from friends and family and then finally having one (by accident, but it still counts) 2 months ago, I have a parent related question that is itching my mind. 

What sort of absolute brain dead idiot has one of these things and then a year later goes "let's have another one?" or better yet, pressures others into having one. 

Nutters everywhere. 

I never wanted kids, my Mrs wanted 4!

We compromised and had 2.

Love them more than anything but would have happily gone through life without having any. The stresses and worries are constant and unrelenting.

• Like 1

There’s a five year gap between ours for a reason. 

Incidentally, friends of my wife’s had two kids but the wife wanted a third. Husband wasn’t massively keen but went along with it. 

They had triplets - he’s gone from 2 to five in a relatively short period of time and is a shell of the man he once was. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I have some unopened ham which went off a few days ago. Think it’s still ok?

Assuming this is a genuine question, it's usually ok. Open it and give it a sniff. Check it doesn't have a layer of greasy/slimy stuff on top. If not give a small piece a taste and if ok then fill your boots.

3 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Nutters everywhere. 

I would not recommend it as a lifestyle choice. 1 is plenty.

2 hours ago, Unabomber said:

If you mean it's passed it's use by date, if it still looks and smells ok, it probably is.

If it's actually gone off though, like you said, then no, it's gone off lol

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Assuming this is a genuine question, it's usually ok. Open it and give it a sniff. Check it doesn't have a layer of greasy/slimy stuff on top. If not give a small piece a taste and if ok then fill your boots.

Why would that not be a genuine question lol

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

If you mean it's passed it's use by date, if it still looks and smells ok, it probably is.

If it's actually gone off though, like you said, then no, it's gone off lol

I had it in my frittata for lunch and feel ok so seemingly all good. 

4 hours ago, Milo said:

There’s a five year gap between ours for a reason. 

Incidentally, friends of my wife’s had two kids but the wife wanted a third. Husband wasn’t massively keen but went along with it. 

They had triplets - he’s gone from 2 to five in a relatively short period of time and is a shell of the man he once was. 

Wow! I thought my cousin had it bad, had 2 boys wanted a 3rd, to try for a girl, got twin boys.

5 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Bit late to help, I know...but may be of use in the future...

Processed meat is likely to be preserved with the use of modified atmosphere packing (MAP). This is where the food tech bods tinker with the oxygen and nitrogen (or Co2) levels within the packaging to extend the life of the meat. As it's unopened then your ham is likely to be ok a few days after the use by date, as this will be factored in to the shelf life testing that is conducted.

The downside of MAP is that it provides an environment where spoilage bacteria struggle to grow...and you usually use the spoilage bacteria (smell, appearance) as an indicator that the food is ok or not. 

The bacteria that make you ill don't change the food, and may also be present - so, short of sending your ham to a lab for testing, there isn't any way to know if it's safe other than to eat it and wait a few hours. 

Keep us posted...   :P

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Milo said:

Bit late to help, I know...but may be of use in the future...

Processed meat is likely to be preserved with the use of modified atmosphere packing (MAP). This is where the food tech bods tinker with the oxygen and nitrogen (or Co2) levels within the packaging to extend the life of the meat. As it's unopened then your ham is likely to be ok a few days after the use by date, as this will be factored in to the shelf life testing that is conducted.

The downside of MAP is that it provides an environment where spoilage bacteria struggle to grow...and you usually use the spoilage bacteria (smell, appearance) as an indicator that the food is ok or not. 

The bacteria that make you ill don't change the food, and may also be present - so, short of sending your ham to a lab for testing, there isn't any way to know if it's safe other than to eat it and wait a few hours. 

Keep us posted...   :P

thanks for that. I’ll prob have to get rid the stuff that’s left as it’s now open. Feeling alright now.

• Like 1

I’m working In Barcelona this week. Staying on edge of Sant Marti. Just wandering back to my hotel after a rather lively tapas and walked past one of those see-into-gyms. The guy on the bike in the window is only wearing a blooming city shirt! 19/20 vintage, I think. Most unexpected. Took me a couple of minutes of mime to get him to understand why I was jumping up and down like a loon. 😂

Edited by TrentFox
Googled the shirt to get the year right.
  • Haha 1

For personal reasons I absolutely detest Christmas and all that goes with it. (It's the worst time of year for me. It's only brought trauma and stress to our family).

I hate the faux sentimentality of the ads. It's never like that for so many people and I speak from experience.

They only want your money. 

23 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Many best before / use by dates are bollocks IMO.

We waste so much food because of it.

I've been using the smell test for years now and haven't shit myself once.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Neither have I but I've got a lot closer than I would have liked.

I don't need that kind of tension

4 hours ago, RoboFox said:

The best before/use by dates are for corporate arse covering - they’ll be so far out of balance it’s untrue.

As a species we’re fairly well adapted to knowing what not to eat. If it smells rank don’t eat it. If it tastes rank stop eating it. Best before, in particular, is a crock of rubbish. A fish, for example, is at its best at the point of dispatch after being taken out of the ocean. Any later and the fish is past its best as it begins the process of degrading and becoming inedible. 

10 hours ago, RoboFox said:

A friend's partner used to empty their fridge in the evening of anything with that days date. 

Utterly wasteful. 

Obviously, there are things you need to be very careful with but most stuff will be fine for a good few days. 

14 hours ago, foxile5 said:

As a species we’re fairly well adapted to knowing what not to eat

Not so true. There are around 2.5 million cases of food borne illness every year in the UK.

Which helps keep me in a job. Every cloud and all that. 

14 hours ago, foxile5 said:

If it smells rank don’t eat it. If it tastes rank stop eating it

I’ve mentioned this a few times already. The bacteria that make you ill do not change the food. They don’t change the smell, taste or texture. 

Food that is contaminated with pathogens (the bad types of organisms) looks, smells and tastes perfectly normal. 

Some organisms are even pretty happy in the fridge (psychrophiles/psychrotrophs).
Some food (tuna and mackerel) start to produce a poison as soon as they die - once the poison is in the food it can’t be cooked out. It also doesn’t affect the smell, taste or texture of the fish. 

Hence safety dates on food.

Yes they can be conservative, but they are there for a reason. 

Edited by Milo
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1