Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

23 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The washing machine supply is entirely external and unlagged so apparently I can't wash clothes when it's cold, the roof is leaking, this is the worse insulated property I've ever lived in, it loses about 7 - 8 degrees heat overnight, takes all day to warm back up and costs eye watering amounts to make warm enough to take the second jumper off. 

Probably the least cost of living crisis appropriate property I could have chosen. Major regret for life choices right now. I miss my pokey new build flat. 

I live in a really old house too and feel your pain re heating it. Even with loft insulation and double glazing throughout it's still a very similar to your situation. 

Edited by The Bear

last week we opened up and turned on the aircond for the first time for the year... suddenly.... nothing happened.

Its an old unit and had grave fears for a very expensive (est $8000 repair or replace)... today service people came out and told us was mostly just rat damage... should be less than $1000 :)

29 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I live in a really old house too and feel your pain re heating it. Even with loft insulation and double glazing throughout it's still a very similar to your situation. 

I was reading a post by some dude on a money saving website earlier in the week. Guy living in a new build with new loft and cavity insulation. Said his property loses 1 to 2 degrees heat at most overnight when the central heating is off. 

I could have cried.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I was reading a post by some dude on a money saving website earlier in the week. Guy living in a new build with new loft and cavity insulation. Said his property loses 1 to 2 degrees heat at most overnight when the central heating is off. 

I could have cried.

Admittedly my house is pretty small but have just checked my Hive app out of interest after reading your post. 

The heating was last on last night at 20:55 and the temperature was 19.9.

When we woke up at 7 this morning it was 18.3.

4 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Admittedly my house is pretty small but have just checked my Hive app out of interest after reading your post. 

The heating was last on last night at 20:55 and the temperature was 19.9.

When we woke up at 7 this morning it was 18.3.

I hate you so much.

• Haha 1

My Mrs and I naively bought a 4 storey Georgian terrace. 

It was great size for the money and we like a cellar and top room. The problem is it's ancient, the insulation isn't reliable and it gets baltic during cold periods.

Those of you whittling about a couple of degrees loss - well I hope someone farts through your letterbox.

39 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

My Mrs and I naively bought a 4 storey Georgian terrace. 

It was great size for the money and we like a cellar and top room. The problem is it's ancient, the insulation isn't reliable and it gets baltic during cold periods.

Those of you whittling about a couple of degrees loss - well I hope someone farts through your letterbox.

10 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I regularly lose a good 5 deg every night, and I'm lucky if the house gets up to 19 deg with the heating on all day. 

I live in a pretty large detached house that's unbelievably poorly maintained (it's a rental.) I was attracted to the size when I moved in but now the weather's dropped I realise how badly I've ballsed up. Obviously I'm not as stuck with it as if I owned it myself but I'm still not going to be able to move until Spring next year so I'm stuck through the winter. 

Most I've lost overnight is about 10 degrees. I seriously woke up this morning and it was 6 degrees in the house. It's miserable.

Yeah I'm trying to work out if I'm better off just trying to keep it permanently around 12/14ish and leaving the heating on near 24/7 or if I let it drop overnight and then have the heating on basically constant full power all day trying to heat it back up again after it drops to 6/7ish. Genuinely not sure the answer in that regard.

I know conventional wisdom, years ago, before all the price rises, was you're better off on constant at a lower heat but I don't know if the same wisdom applies now.

Fortunately I can spend quite a lot of time in my office which is the box room. I've got a De Longhi oil rad in there which at least keeps that room warm.

Nowadays they say only heat the house when you need it. But with that sort of temperature drop overnight you'd probably just as well off keeping it to a constant temperature 24/7, as it's got to work bloody hard to raise the whole house by almost 10 deg every morning. 

If you have a modern boiler where you can set rhe radiator temps, then you can try dropping that down to something like 50 deg, and then keep it on constantly. That would help offset some of the cost. You'd need to experiment to find the lowest temp that will keep the house warm though. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Our radiator temp is set to 50, and its comes on at 4am, at 18 degree target until 9pm, but this was at the direction of the folks who fitted our HP system

I have mine set to 50 too (same as the hot water) and is targeted at 18 deg C. Comes on at 7:30am (30 mins before I get up), and turns off at 11pm about an hour or two before I go to bed. 

Is anyone really interested in the Sussex's claptrap on Netflix?

I, for one, am certainly not. It seems to me they want all the adulation from the media/press when it suits them.

Now they appear to have a "duty" to tell their side of the story, a duty to who and who is bothered?

They've made their choice. I wish they would just carry on with their lives in the States and let the rest of us continue with ours.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Is anyone really interested in the Sussex's claptrap on Netflix?

I, for one, am certainly not. It seems to me they want all the adulation from the media/press when it suits them.

Now they appear to have a "duty" to tell their side of the story, a duty to who and who is bothered?

They've made their choice. I wish they would just carry on with their lives in the States and let the rest of us continue with ours.

I don’t think you have to watch the program David ……. Or read the stuff being written about them …….or listen to the stuff being spoken about them …… but then you’ll have to go live in a media cave so to speak ……

is it them …..or is it the media frenzy ?  If a tree falls down and there’s no one to hear it, does it make a sound ???

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I don’t think you have to watch the program David ……. Or read the stuff being written about them …….or listen to the stuff being spoken about them …… but then you’ll have to go live in a media cave so to speak ……

is it them …..or is it the media frenzy ?  If a tree falls down and there’s no one to hear it, does it make a sound ???

Well, it's very difficult to avoid this circus. As an avid radio listener and watcher of news on the TV you simply cannot miss the sound of the tree falling!!

• Like 2