Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

We've got kids dying after falling through the ice on a lake, young women being raped and killed as hey walk the streets, key workers on strike, inflation rampant and Harry moaning because his brother shouted and screamed at him.

Makes me feel so guilty that I used to scream, shout and lose my temper at my older brother. 

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

God tier level of moaning old sod at children's Christmas service at church this morning. Goes in, stands behind pillar WHEN THERE WAS LOADS OF OTHER PLACES TO STAND and then complains that they can't see

Did Thracian have anything else to say?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

It might have been posted elsewhere but can't believe how cold it is. I don't think I've ever known it to be this cold for such a period.

Agreed. I have a chest freezer in the outhouse, and had to nip in there earlier. My hands were like blocks of ice after only 60s or so. Its horrible out there at the minute.

I honestly can't imagine what it's like for the homeless right now. There must be people dying every night. 

Edited by The Bear

Had a 'Four Yorkshiremen' moment with Mrs. FFF earlier.

We were talking of school days and sitting crosslegged on the floor. I recalled the mats we sat on .

'Mats?' She said. 'We never had mats. We sat on the cold floor.'

'Well, when I say mats,' I said. 'They were thin, oval straw mats that dug into your skin the longer you were on them, bloody uncomfortable'

'Still better than a cold floor' She argued.

We then proceeded to try and out do each other for hardships endured at school.

Mrs. FFF is not at all versed in Monty Python, but the simlarities to that sketch were incredible as we tried to argue who had it worse.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

6 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Had a 'Four Yorkshiremen' moment with Mrs. FFF earlier.

We were talking of school days and sitting crosslegged on the floor. I recalled the mats we sat on .

'Mats?' She said. 'We never had mats. We sat on the cold floor.'

'Well, when I say mats,' I said. 'They were thin, oval straw mats that dug into your skin the longer you were on them, bloody uncomfortable'

'Still better than a cold floor' She argued.

We then proceeded to try and out do each other for hardships endured at school.

Mrs. FFF is not at all versed in Monty Python, but the simlarities to that sketch were incredible as we tried to argue who had it worse.

Floor?  You were lucky!  We had to sit in the dirt! We were too poor for a floor.

On 16/12/2022 at 14:44, Fox92 said:

It might have been posted elsewhere but can't believe how cold it is. I don't think I've ever known it to be this cold for such a period.

Remember back in the 80s, early 90s the canal would often freeze over running through the city with some decent snow every year. 

During one winter at work, the factory was opposite the Abbey park, across the canal, a bunch of us went outside for a few minutes watching a river boat sailing along, breaking the ice, we had tried doing it nearer the bank but the bricks just wedged into the ice.

Think the worst with snow was mid 80s where the only vehicle attempting to drive was a Datsun going sideways just past the Belgrave flyover and I needed to wrap a plastic black bin liner round each leg to walk to work since the snow was knee high with snow drifts piling the stuff up higher than an average man in places and the icicles of Kemptons being bigger than a man.

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Some people you get to know well on a forum, you like them a lot. Someone I’ve talked to online for 10yrs died from cancer last week. It is like losing an IRL friend. Sad stuff.

sorry to hear that... online friends can be as, and even more important than irl people

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I have just come back from Jordan and it was absolutely incredible. 

I went on a tour with 13 others who I met there and a local guide. It started in Amman where we saw the citadel and the roman theatre. We then took a five hour bus trip to the Wadi Rum desert where we were hosted by Bedouin for two nights and they made us a traditional Bedouin dish. We went on walking and 4x4 tours around the desert and it looks like another planet. It's where they film many sci-fi films. 

The next day we went to Petra for two nights. Petra is a world wonder and it completely lives up to it. I have never seen anything like it. 

We then went to the Dead Sea and finished in Madaba. 

I made several friends who I really want to keep in contact with. 

I can't recommend it highly enough. If you have the chance to go, then you must go. 

Awesome sounding trip. Sounds like you packed in some great experiences.

I've always loved visiting the significant ancient archeological sites I've been lucky enough to get to, and Petra's one of those that's always stuck in my mind as looking pretty epic from the pictures. Seems like it'd be impossible to disappoint.

Did you book the whole thing as a package ahead of time, or piece it together yourself?

There's a pretty established 'Jordan Trail' that I follow on Instagram. Looks like the varied landscapes mixed with sites like Petra would make for a pretty sweet hiking trip. One for the future maybe!

Edited by samlcfc