Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

7 hours ago, Daggers said:

Someone I’ve talked to online for 10yrs died from cancer last week. It is like losing an IRL friend. Sad stuff.

I get that sense towards a few posters; in particular in threads like the Depression one.

There's quite a good vibe on here most of the time.

Am sorry to hear that; a very cruel illness.

I occasionally wonder if there's well-known posters on here who used to post quite a bit but are quite unwell themselves..

The last public announcement of someone on here being very unwell and sadly dying on here was @Rincewind.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

I get that sense towards a few posters; in particular in threads like the Depression one.

There's quite a good vibe on here most of the time.

Am sorry to hear that; a very cruel illness.

I occasionally wonder if there's well-known posters on here who used to post quite a bit but are quite unwell themselves..

The last public announcement of someone on here being very unwell and sadly dying on here was @Rincewind.

Different forum mind, but she was a sweet soul who kept it all locked away - no one knew she was ill, she just stopped posting over the last couple of months and vanished from the radar.

We were due to meet up for drinks at a Bauhaus gig but she couldn't manage it, just thought she was otherwise occupied.

Cancer is such a nasty way to go.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Daggers said:

Some people you get to know well on a forum, you like them a lot. Someone I’ve talked to online for 10yrs died from cancer last week. It is like losing an IRL friend. Sad stuff.

Awful to hear. I'm so sorry.

I've met some great people off this forum in real life, who I class as good friends.

There's also a lot more that I haven't met, but think of them as online friends.

Painful and thinking of you mate.

We've had a passing in our family in the last few weeks and it's awful.

Sending you strength x

Edited by tom27111

12 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I have just come back from Jordan and it was absolutely incredible. 

I went on a tour with 13 others who I met there and a local guide. It started in Amman where we saw the citadel and the roman theatre. We then took a five hour bus trip to the Wadi Rum desert where we were hosted by Bedouin for two nights and they made us a traditional Bedouin dish. We went on walking and 4x4 tours around the desert and it looks like another planet. It's where they film many sci-fi films. 

The next day we went to Petra for two nights. Petra is a world wonder and it completely lives up to it. I have never seen anything like it. 

We then went to the Dead Sea and finished in Madaba. 

I made several friends who I really want to keep in contact with. 

I can't recommend it highly enough. If you have the chance to go, then you must go. 

Who did you do the tour through?

I just got back from Oman a couple of weeks ago and had half an eye on Jordan for 2023!

7 hours ago, Daggers said:

Different forum mind, but she was a sweet soul who kept it all locked away - no one knew she was ill, she just stopped posting over the last couple of months and vanished from the radar.

We were due to meet up for drinks at a Bauhaus gig but she couldn't manage it, just thought she was otherwise occupied.

Cancer is such a nasty way to go.

So sorry to hear of that Dave. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Who did you do the tour through?

I just got back from Oman a couple of weeks ago and had half an eye on Jordan for 2023!

I went through Intrepid. It was an 18-29 years group, which I just about qualify for. I would certainly recommend using them. The guide was very good and the accommodation was also not too shabby. It certainly looked more cost effective than other companies. 

• Like 1

Can someone younger than me explain if there's actually a reason that people have started using their phones wrong deliberately en masse? Because I'm assuming it's just a really stupid trend and people are copying each other like morons to look cool. But maybe I'm also just thick and missing something obvious? 

I'm talking about the act of putting your phone on speaker/hands free but then holding it up horizontally in front of your mouth anyway? 

It's not just me, this is objectively stupid right? You're making it harder for the other person to hear you, they're picking up all your background noise that the normal mic would filter out and at the same time you're making it both harder to hear them and also tanking any privacy you might have had from the call as well as forcing every other poor fvcker to listen. 

I'm really baffled by why everyone is doing this. And it's not even just stupid teenagers, I'm seeing normal adults in their later twenties and even early thirties doing this. 

I'm lost. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Can someone younger than me explain if there's actually a reason that people have started using their phones wrong deliberately en masse? Because I'm assuming it's just a really stupid trend and people are copying each other like morons to look cool. But maybe I'm also just thick and missing something obvious? 

I'm talking about the act of putting your phone on speaker/hands free but then holding it up horizontally in front of your mouth anyway? 

It's not just me, this is objectively stupid right? You're making it harder for the other person to hear you, they're picking up all your background noise that the normal mic would filter out and at the same time you're making it both harder to hear them and also tanking any privacy you might have had from the call as well as forcing every other poor fvcker to listen. 

I'm really baffled by why everyone is doing this. And it's not even just stupid teenagers, I'm seeing normal adults in their later twenties and even early thirties doing this. 

I'm lost. 

I thought it was just me. Because, I absolutely don't get it, either.

• Thanks 1

Last time I considered it, I couldn't think of a single reason that'd make sense across the varied group you see doing it. 

Had to assume that there's a hearing/focus based reason for some people, and then a bunch of people that've just picked up on the behaviour.

Might be something around the idea of getting stuff on the screen, like make-up for example, considering modern phones are primarily used as a screen. 

15 minutes ago, samlcfc said:

Last time I considered it, I couldn't think of a single reason that'd make sense across the varied group you see doing it. 

Had to assume that there's a hearing/focus based reason for some people, and then a bunch of people that've just picked up on the behaviour.

Might be something around the idea of getting stuff on the screen, like make-up for example, considering modern phones are primarily used as a screen. 

Nah, half of them are wandering along with it 2" under/in front of their chin.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Outside of that, I saw an article from a psychology POV, musing that people might get a sense of self-importance from being loud on the phone and being in the conversational limelight. Even if people in general couldn't really care less what they have to say.

I've definitely met a few people with a narcisisstic streak, that'll take negative attention over no attention.

Someone even did a psychology study into why we find people annoying when they speak loudly on phones in public. Apparently people generally speak 1.6 times as loudly on phones as they do in face to face conversations!

Obviously, as illustrated by our comments, it's also annoying to see someone doing something with no obvious visible benefits and some negatives that could seemingly be easily avoided.

Edit: I also realise very few people give this much of a shit, but you'll forgive me for some ridiculous procrastination.

Edited by samlcfc

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Could it be that they're on a video call? I've seen it quite a lot where these people are using the reverse camera mode and talking to another person who, I assume, is doing the same. :dunno:

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm lost. 

Holding a phone to my ear just gives me arm ache tbqh 

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm lost. 

If its what I visualise its very The Apprentice

4 hours ago, samlcfc said:

Outside of that, I saw an article from a psychology POV, musing that people might get a sense of self-importance from being loud on the phone and being in the conversational limelight. Even if people in general couldn't really care less what they have to say.

I've definitely met a few people with a narcisisstic streak, that'll take negative attention over no attention.

Someone even did a psychology study into why we find people annoying when they speak loudly on phones in public. Apparently people generally speak 1.6 times as loudly on phones as they do in face to face conversations!

Obviously, as illustrated by our comments, it's also annoying to see someone doing something with no obvious visible benefits and some negatives that could seemingly be easily avoided.

Edit: I also realise very few people give this much of a shit, but you'll forgive me for some ridiculous procrastination.

It's the century of the self. It's not enough to have a conversation. You must have a performance.

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

It's the century of the self. It's not enough to have a conversation. You must have a performance.

Interesting thought.

My own take is that humanity is no more or less self interested and narcissistic than it has been in the past - way back when, one man's self interest could result in the deaths of thousands of (or more) people, after all. It's just that today more people have power to show that narcissism off and for others to get to know about it.

Humans haven't changed, tech has. And that's a problem in of itself.

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Interesting thought.

My own take is that humanity is no more or less self interested and narcissistic than it has been in the past - way back when, one man's self interest could result in the deaths of thousands of (or more) people, after all. It's just that today more people have power to show that narcissism off and for others to get to know about it.

Humans haven't changed, tech has. And that's a problem in of itself.

I think the technology has enabled the immediately and obvious 'reward' of public performance and enhanced the 'Main Character Syndrome' that we all feel to varying degrees.

It feels increasingly like if any life event wasn't interacted with and acknowledged by wider society then it might as well not have existed. People are like smaller versions of Donald Trump. 

Thus you have people, largely the younger generation, acting out their narrative to all about them. 

Edited by foxile5

11 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I think the technology has enabled the immediately and obvious 'reward' of public performance and enhanced the 'Main Character Syndrome' that we all feel to varying degrees.

It feels increasingly like if any life event wasn't interacted with and acknowledged by wider society then it might as well not have existed. People are like smaller versions of Donald Trump. 

Thus you have people, largely the younger generation, acting out their narrative to all about them. 

Yeah, enhancement is probably right, though I would say I again I think such syndrome was always there anyway.

I'm not buying that some kind of sense of "community" was stronger in the past than it is now though, for me that's just rose-tinted. The difference is technology advancing faster than the evolution or our brains.

Somebody in my team at work has been put on a K tax code out the blue, and has been left with about £800 in net pay to last her until end of Jan. she’s spoken to payroll and they’ve suggested she speak to HMRC directly (as we received a notification from HMRC to make the change), but apparently they only respond to queries via post. Does anybody more in the know than me have any suggestions as to how she can get in touch with them? Assuming she could actually ring them? 

Edited by Manini

Just had a lovely afternoon out. Collected a present, went off to Braybrooke Farm for a case of their lagers. Then into Market Harborough to the independent wine merchants there to stock up on more Leicestershire beers and 2 bottles of posh plonk. 

First time I’ve had the week off before Christmas and really enjoyed it. Off into town tomorrow for mine and my fiancés ‘Christmas do’

2 hours ago, Manini said:

Somebody in my team at work has been put on a K tax code out the blue, and has been left with about £800 in net pay to last her until end of Jan. she’s spoken to payroll and they’ve suggested she speak to HMRC directly (as we received a notification from HMRC to make the change), but apparently they only respond to queries via post. Does anybody more in the know than me have any suggestions as to how she can get in touch with them? Assuming she could actually ring them? 

Is she registered to do any taxation stuff online with a Gov Gateway account? I had a query recently and got to do a web chat with someone. Alternatively, my last tax code change letter had a telephone number for queries - 0300 200 3300. I've never seen anything which states enquiries can only be made via post.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Just an FYI...

In December 2015 I ordered our away strip for xmas

In December 2020 I ordered our third strip for xmas

I have just ordered our third strip for xmas 2022 :whistle:

Just saying :)

So what you're saying is if you'd bought more shirts we'd have won more trophies?

• Haha 2