Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

10 minutes ago, kenny said:

It's costs around £200 to get one tuned and there are plenty that do it.

Be braced for the news that the years of neglect have warped the string boards and it is untunable! If you look on eBay there are loads of cheap pianos  for this reason, many can no longer be tuned.

As an example, my wife keeps a tub of water in hers as they don't appreciate underfloor heating. They are quite temperamental.

Thanks, hopefully it’s not warped, it has been in the coldest room in the house so hopefully that will help against that happening. I take it the string boards can’t be replaced, is it easy to spot if they’re warped by looking inside?

10 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Anyone else trying to do a whole month of no takeaways - I'm trying to see how positively it impacts my health. I probably have one a week, with the odd mcdonalds, kfc etc littered around during the month. I swear sh*t takeaway food is a complete shambles for your overall health. 

That doesn't sound too excessive to be fair - of course it couldn't hurt to cut down further but I wouldn't feel too guilty about one a week.

11 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Anyone else trying to do a whole month of no takeaways - I'm trying to see how positively it impacts my health. I probably have one a week, with the odd mcdonalds, kfc etc littered around during the month. I swear sh*t takeaway food is a complete shambles for your overall health. 

We probably have one or two takeaways a month, but like you I have the odd McDonalds every now and then within a month. I don't consider it a lot and I don't think you should but I have no doubt you'll feel better for it. Good luck and post how it goes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Thanks, hopefully it’s not warped, it has been in the coldest room in the house so hopefully that will help against that happening. I take it the string boards can’t be replaced, is it easy to spot if they’re warped by looking inside?

I'm not an expert but I doubt it.

I suspect you find out it's warped when the tuner can't tune it. At that point it's pretty furniture and not much more!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I am worse than you, eat out twice a week and then one dirty late night portion of chips or a burger from a takeaway a month. Whilst I agree outside food is horrific for your health given the level of oil, butter, salt, fat, MSG etc they must use, everything in moderation including moderation itself is key to life.

Self service tills in convenience stores are criminally stupid. Staff now stand chatting in 1Stop while one person sits staring at a monitor as I help myself to free bags and press the “0 bags used” button. The rebellion will not be televised.

13 minutes ago, Manini said:

Think I drank too much coffee this morning and a couple of hours after it felt like I was about to have a panic attack. Never happened before and wouldn’t necessarily consider myself sensitive to caffeine, scary stuff. 

Cut it out. I have one coffee a day in the morning, you can seriously become gripped on caffeine if you arent careful - not good for your heart, anxiety etc. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Cut it out. I have one coffee a day in the morning, you can seriously become gripped on caffeine if you arent careful - not good for your heart, anxiety etc. 

yeah agreed. Going to have a reset on how much I’m taking in I think. 

On 08/01/2023 at 12:52, Foxdiamond said:

As I have got older I have got into bad habit of booking events such as theatre tickets etc and as date arrives can't be bothered to go as either gone off the idea or some family issue is on my mind. 

I did that in my youth too. I think that buying a ticket only gives me the option of going and is not an obligation. I never know how I'm going to feel come the day. 

Fortunately, there's not many things I go to that I need to book for. 

33 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

you can seriously become gripped on caffeine if you arent careful - not good for your heart, anxiety etc. 

I've read and heard that often but it's luckily not my experience. I have 3 or 4 a day, long espresso type not instant or filter, but I can just stop, go a few days without and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. No withdrawal or cravings. 

9 minutes ago, taupe said:

I did that in my youth too. I think that buying a ticket only gives me the option of going and is not an obligation. I never know how I'm going to feel come the day. 

Fortunately, there's not many things I go to that I need to book for. 

Good way of looking at it

1 hour ago, Manini said:

Think I drank too much coffee this morning and a couple of hours after it felt like I was about to have a panic attack. Never happened before and wouldn’t necessarily consider myself sensitive to caffeine, scary stuff. 

58 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I generally have 1 a day, occasionally 2 but I can really feel my anxiety level ratchet up on an afternoon if I've had a particular strong one. 

Granted everyone has a tolerance level and it goes up and down to some extent with how much you drink but it makes no sense to me to keep drinking more to increase my tolerance when I know what it is doing to me. Still love the stuff, mind.

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

Exactly this.  I used to wonder why I was so jittery during the day and realised, particularly over the lockdowns, I'd got to the stage where I was making about 7 bloody coffees a day, double espressos the works.  Now I have decaff and sometimes one caff if I'm feeling like a pep up in the morning.  I feel a ton better for it. 

17 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

On the subject of coffee - drinkers who are really fussy about the type of coffee, the beans or anything like that are in the same annoying bracket of people who witter about the perfect pint of Guinness. 

Now this I totally disagree with.  Guinness is a shite mass produced pint with virtually no flavour.  Serve it with a cherry on top and a scoop of ice cream it's still a terrible excuse of a stout.  However, well made and particularly fresh bean coffee is an entirely different beast altogether from poorly made coffee.  

Don't get me wrong I just use a Nespresso machine at home because I don't want a coffee shop in my kitchen but if I'm out paying for coffee I only go to places I know do it properly.  Which aren't actually that common.  And no I'm not a hipster I'm a grumpy middle aged man.  

If that annoys people then I shall sip smugly at that delicious black gold with even greater pleasure in the knowledge.  

Consider this a witter 

Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, that those who have decided that BR is a fraud, a terrible human being etc are absolutely 100% correct. 

My questions are these. How many threads do they require to tell us this? How often do they have to find new ways to tell us how right they are? 

Presuming they are so right, why aren't they quietly content knowing best?

They appear to absolutely LOVE the persistent misery of their 'knowledge' of the man and the situation at LCFC. Surely being so very right shouldn't need constant reinforcement and ramming down our collective throat. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, that those who have decided that BR is a fraud, a terrible human being etc are absolutely 100% correct. 

My questions are these. How many threads do they require to tell us this? How often do they have to find new ways to tell us how right they are? 

Presuming they are so right, why aren't they quietly content knowing best?

They appear to absolutely LOVE the persistent misery of their 'knowledge' of the man and the situation at LCFC. Surely being so very right shouldn't need constant reinforcement and ramming down our collective throat. 

Its frustrating to say the least, there are certain posters now when i see they comment, i scroll past it, without even reading. 

I honestly don't mind if people dislike him and even remark against their dislike of the choice of the line-up or the subs or whatever. BUT its the insistance to bring him up and their obvious hatred in every thread in the whole of the LCFC forums, it's beyond boring now.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Manini said:

yeah agreed. Going to have a reset on how much I’m taking in I think. 

I started drinking caffeine free tea two years ago. I'm guessing some caffeine is still in it, but when a drink normal tea now I can taste the difference.

22 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I started drinking caffeine free tea two years ago. I'm guessing some caffeine is still in it, but when a drink normal tea now I can taste the difference.

Yeah we have decaf tea for the evenings, it’s a nice drink for on the sofa watching telly and no risk of being kept awake from the caffeine (I don’t notice the difference in taste as I very rarely drink proper tea anyway).

As I say I’ve never noticed being sensitive to caffeine but had a full moka of black coffee and then a couple of other instant black coffees afterwards, that probably is more than usual for me and it didn’t agree with me clearly. Very much a live and learn situation - everything in moderation. 

3 hours ago, Bordersfox said:

Exactly this.  I used to wonder why I was so jittery during the day and realised, particularly over the lockdowns, I'd got to the stage where I was making about 7 bloody coffees a day, double espressos the works.  Now I have decaff and sometimes one caff if I'm feeling like a pep up in the morning.  I feel a ton better for it. 

7 cups of coffee in a day?? That would give me the most epic of coffee crashes.