Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

I've got a Nespresso machine and it does a job but I was rattling through 4/5 in a morning and finding I was having insane stomach cramps more than any anxiety; I'm trying to go Jan without and so far I'm sleeping worse if anything ffs.

Might just get some decaf pods because I just like the smell and taste of it first thing more than any effects of caffeine itself.

2 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I've got a Nespresso machine and it does a job but I was rattling through 4/5 in a morning and finding I was having insane stomach cramps more than any anxiety; I'm trying to go Jan without and so far I'm sleeping worse if anything ffs.

Might just get some decaf pods because I just like the smell and taste of it first thing more than any effects of caffeine itself.

Decaf pods are the way forward, I don't miss the caffeine but I would miss the routine of not sitting with a coffee for five before the day starts.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Any noticeable difference in the taste my brother?

Not that I've noticed my old son but I do tend to have the pods as a flat white rather than espresso and once you've added milk it's a great equaliser.  The only issue is there's not much choice of decaff pods.  The Starbucks decaff were on offer in Tesco and whilst I abhor Starbucks I have to say these pods were pretty tasty. 

• Thanks 1

When I quit smoking, I needed a replacement. I was quite conscious to not go for the sweets/chocolates and ended up picking up zero calorie coke. 

I ended up needing (yes needing) at least 3 cans a day (in addition to my 2 cups of coffee). Cutting that out was harder than quitting smoking. 

13 hours ago, Samilktray said:

What’s everyone’s favourite place for a coffee? I’m a firm believer that the Coffee Obsessive on Allendale Road is by far the best in Leicester 

How much do people spend on coffee? I only ever go to a starbucks if I'm on the road with work, I can't stomach paying 4/5 quid for a coffee out my own cash. 

43 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

How much do people spend on coffee? I only ever go to a starbucks if I'm on the road with work, I can't stomach paying 4/5 quid for a coffee out my own cash. 

I delivered some training work at Starbucks head office for a while - they have a couple of unmanned ‘mock shops’ in their offices where you just help yourself and go wild with whatever mad combo you want. 

Was great! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tommy G said:

I once spent £250 for a cup of hot chocolate - yes, really.

Mrs. FFF was on a waiting list for a non urgent op. She was in some discomfort however so we paid private. She only had the consultation at the private clinic when we learned she could have her procedure on the NHS far sooner,  which she did.

The rather expensive chocolate - which was very nice I must say - was 'given' to me whilst we were waiting to see the doctor at the clinic. Annoyingly, Mrs. FFF didn't have a cup, otherwise it would have 'only' been £125/cup. :S

14 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I never really go on Facebook anymore but it's always very exciting when I do.

Today the folk on there are FURIOUS about smart meters and electric vehicles

I do do the facebook and can confirm I’ve never been so vexed by the smart metered electric vehicle thing. *shakes fist at Musk in the cloud*

I knew Andrew Tate was a mouthy tw at but I totally underestimated the influence he has on pre-teen and teen boys with his views.

My mate's a teacher and Andrew Tate's influence on young males is a major problem in his school and they are trying to get the kids to 'unlearn' the gospel of Tate. Terrifying.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Friends at work ordered in some US coffee creamer (A couple of them are American) 

Amongst the ingredients was Titanium Dioxide.

It sounded a bit dodgy so we looked it up. Banned in the EU for amongst other reasons being carcinogenic. The good old post Brexit UK though is fine with it. :nono:

On 08/01/2023 at 11:52, Foxdiamond said:

As I have got older I have got into bad habit of booking events such as theatre tickets etc and as date arrives can't be bothered to go as either gone off the idea or some family issue is on my mind. 

I get this but it’s usually for bands I ‘like’ but don’t ‘love’. If it’s a cheapish ticket and it involves driving, the weather’s awful or it’s a school night late finish I just won’t bother. 

I had a hangover of covid gigs but so far this year I’ve got a little more selective about what I’m going to see. 

• Thanks 1

On 09/01/2023 at 20:13, HighPeakFox said:

For the record, decent caffeine-free coffee tastes pretty good, and has the required benefits without the massive rush.

I’ve found I really like Lidl’s own brand instant decaf.

I usually have one a coffee at work in the morning, one of those coffee bags and a cup of decaf in the evening. 

Went to Costa at lunch today and they are doing away with their Character Roast shot, which has been my go to in their americano for years. 

14 minutes ago, Livid said:

Friends at work ordered in some US coffee creamer (A couple of them are American) 

It sounded a bit dodgy so we looked it up. Banned in the EU for amongst other reasons being carcinogenic. The good old post Brexit UK though is fine with it. :nono:

Fcking hell!!!!! The American diet is mad, food is such poor quality and I really struggled when I lived there. All the fruit and veg was horrendous, powdery mush 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Livid said:

It's a colourant - and additive that is commonly used in such products, purely to make them more visually appealing. I wouldn't say that the UK is "fine with it" but it is maintaining that the evidence does not support the conclusions made by the European Food Safety Authority. Also, pointedly, it does as you say highlight the wider post-Brexit dangers/ramfications of divergence, de-regulation and sunsetting. 

Where the EFSA is initiating a ban on its import and use in the EU, the FSA is continuing to conduct tests and will publish an updated risk assessment this year. This details and offers and excellent summary the current situation:

https://www.cms-lawnow.com/ealerts/2022/05/titanium-dioxide-e171-a-practical-example-of-uk-divergence-from-eu-law

The toxicity of a substance is very much a question of chemical pathways, time and exposure. This one, particularly nasty shit, is everywhere, and I'm fully aware that I've been unwittingly ingesting it for decades. Its genotoxic and carcinogenic properties means that an ADI cannot be established and it is likely that prolonged intake can cause accumulation over time in the body which may cause damage to DNA. There are already strict limitations imposed on the quantity that can be used in food but in spite of this, if you eat something with titanium dioxide in it, your body absorbs low levels of its particles – but these can build up as you eat more foods containing the additive. I've probably been consuming these products since I was a kid. Scary stuff - and historically, E171 is just one of many.  

Always used to amuse me though when a former colleague used to sanctimoniously castigate me on my dietary decisions during our lunch break. "You do know how many e-numbers are contaminating that yoghurt you're about to eat"? - he'd chime and chide - whilst sparking up his tenth B&H of the day. 

3 hours ago, Nalis said:

I knew Andrew Tate was a mouthy tw at but I totally underestimated the influence he has on pre-teen and teen boys with his views.

My mate's a teacher and Andrew Tate's influence on young males is a major problem in his school and they are trying to get the kids to 'unlearn' the gospel of Tate. Terrifying.

Kickboxer who drives super cars, has shit loads of cash,  and talks about how men need to be tough and loyal to their mates?

He's basically a young man's projection of what they want to be. He slips in the casual misogynist rhetoric and the young lads assume that's all part of it.

5 hours ago, Nalis said:

Hopefully a conviction for people-trafficking and a long stay in a Romanian jail will help disabusing them of that notion.

Needs to happen.

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Kickboxer who drives super cars, has shit loads of cash,  and talks about how men need to be tough and loyal to their mates?

He's basically a young man's projection of what they want to be. He slips in the casual misogynist rhetoric and the young lads assume that's all part of it.

This is about right.

But if anything it makes the attitudes towards women that he comes out with so much more dangerous as it is far more insidious and clearly effective.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

This is about right.

But if anything it makes the attitudes towards women that he comes out with so much more dangerous as it is far more insidious and clearly effective.

The trappings and presentation of his lifestyle is clearly intended to mask the misogyny insidious. He's making an attempt to envelop it.

Much easier for the more aware young men to swallow a bitter pill that way.

Edited by foxile5

52 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

The trappings and presentation of his lifestyle is clearly intended to mask the misogyny insidious. He's making an attempt to envelop it.

Much easier for the more aware young men to swallow a bitter pill that way.

Very much so.

Which is why a conviction and a very public showing of just what values he embodies is so important.