Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Banks was involved in a car crash.

Sadly true and I meant no disrespect. He was a hero of mine growing up. Best England goalkeeper of his time. Anyone of my age will never forget "that" save.

I believe he had the first Skoda (as it is now) franchise in the UK in Woodhouse Eaves.

I may be getting old, miserable and cynical.

Just seen on the news, friends of those youngsters killed or seriously injured in a car crash. They were laying loads of tributes in the form of flowers, cards, pictures and so on.

My first thought was, are they going back there in a week or two to tidy-up when this tribute more resembles fly tipping by the time the wind and rain has been at it?

Doubt it.

12 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I may be getting old, miserable and cynical.

Just seen on the news, friends of those youngsters killed or seriously injured in a car crash. They were laying loads of tributes in the form of flowers, cards, pictures and so on.

My first thought was, are they going back there in a week or two to tidy-up when this tribute more resembles fly tipping by the time the wind and rain has been at it?

Doubt it.

Jesus. Are you (or were you) having a bad day?

• Haha 4

WRT the KP discussion in the LCFC section of the forum:

I don't actually think it's possible to finish top 4/6 in the Prem now without either being "established" or being "sportswashed" by some incredibly dirty regime. The measures taken by the bigger clubs after we won the title saw to that.

I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I don't actually think it's possible to finish top 4/6 in the Prem now without either being "established" or being "sportswashed" by some incredibly dirty regime. The measures taken by the bigger clubs after we won the title saw to that.

Would you count us as being sports washed by a dirty regime? Which clubs fit into your two categories above? As that would dictate a lot of the answers 

2 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Would you count us as being sports washed by a dirty regime? Which clubs fit into your two categories above? As that would dictate a lot of the answers 

Firstly, this is obviously highly subjective so it's not definitive, but...

I would say the "established" clubs are the ones who were there at the top when the PL started and got a good slice of the new pie, and have worked from there. Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal.

And the "sportwashed" clubs are the ones who have used... shall we say, morally flexible money in order to reach the top table. Chelsea (Abramovich), Man City (Dubai consortium), Newcastle (Saudi consortium).

Interestingly, the one other regular appearer in the top 6 is one that doesn't really fit into either category (but if it did it would be the former) and so is an exception here, and that's Spurs.

As for us, I think anyone apart from the incredibly naive would understand that the King Power group haven't sourced all of their wealth ethically (to say nothing of their relationship with the Thai monarchy which is hardly a paragon of virtue), but I would argue there is a difference in degrees between them and both Russian and Middle Eastern oil money which is most often built on the most terrible human rights abuses.

Edit: And to reiterate, I really don't think it's possible to break the top 4/6 now without a truly massive cash injection, and given current circumstances 99.9% of the time that cash is going to have grotesquery attached to it.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Firstly, this is obviously highly subjective so it's not definitive, but...

I would say the "established" clubs are the ones who were there at the top when the PL started and got a good slice of the new pie, and have worked from there. Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal.

And the "sportwashed" clubs are the ones who have used... shall we say, morally flexible money in order to reach the top table. Chelsea (Abramovich), Man City (Dubai consortium), Newcastle (Saudi consortium).

Interestingly, the one other regular appearer in the top 6 is one that doesn't really fit into either category (but if it did it would be the former) and so is an exception here, and that's Spurs.

As for us, I think anyone apart from the incredibly naive would understand that the King Power group haven't sourced all of their wealth ethically (to say nothing of their relationship with the Thai monarchy which is hardly a paragon of virtue), but I would argue there is a difference in degrees between them and both Russian and Middle Eastern oil money which is most often built on the most terrible human rights abuses.

Edit: And to reiterate, I really don't think it's possible to break the top 4/6 now without a truly massive cash injection, and given current circumstances 99.9% of the time that cash is going to have grotesquery attached to it.

Nice one - would broadly agree with that tbf.

Which begs the question - the two years we were on the cusp of top 4 (and should have got top 4) - would we have broken it with more investment? For me the abject failure boils down to Rodgers and his inability to handle pressure, we were so good at the start of both seasons before falling away, not further investment. 

Also need to address the unconscious bias towards the big 6, undoubtedly they have the nous, experience and mentality to keep winning when the going gets tough, but they also get the rub of the green. Eg Brighton won't finish top 6 this season despite clearly being amongst the best 6 clubs in the league. Same reason Everton won't go down. They are truly terrible but key decisions will go their way in April/May.

15 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Presume everyones council tax has gone up 5%?

Yeah, sorry about that.

My colleagues and I haven't helped because of the small fortune we pay for interpreters to enable us to assess folk who are referred to us. Even people who have lived here for 20 or 30 years or more can need this service.

We have argued we could/should use the language skills within our own team more but work levels often mean this is impractical.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

8 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Yeah, sorry about that.

My colleagues and I haven't helped because of the small fortune we pay for interpreters to enable us to assess folk who are referred to us. Even people who have lived here for 20 or 30 years or more can need this service.

We have argued we could/should use the language skills within our own team more but work levels often mean this is impractical.

Completely confused

11 hours ago, leicsmac said:

It would need a mix of factors such as a team having the season of their lives and others being in transitions. Brighton is the closest example this season and they'll probably end up no higher than 7th anyway.

5 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Completely confused

The budget for adult social care is huge, growing and under resourced. I work for ASC and it is tough.

Funds from central government are no where near enough. Money has to be raised somehow to meet demands, many of which are more prevalent in Leicester, though not exclusively.

Just now, Free Falling Foxes said:

The budget for adult social care is huge, growing and under resourced. I work for ASC and it is tough.

Funds from central government are no where near enough. Money has to be raised somehow to meet demands, many of which are more prevalent in Leicester, though not exclusively.

And that is the reason why council tax is going up 5%?

4 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

And that is the reason why council tax is going up 5%?

Councils have asked central  government to be able to put up local tax by as much as this to try and cover shortfalls.

Google local government finances, particularly those who have ASC responsibilities, such as Leicester. If you require details.

22 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

After a decidedly mixed day at work I've just spent an hour assembling an elevated tunnel system for hamster enrichment and I'm definitely not having some sort of breakdown

I've always thought that hamsters would enjoy the time saving advantage of using those air propelled systems big companies use to fire messages and paperwork around between floors.

If I was a hamster I'd love being able to get to the nut bowl really fast.

As ever, it's one rule for tedious documents, another for rodents.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I've always thought that hamsters would enjoy the time saving advantage of using those air propelled systems big companies use to fire messages and paperwork around between floors.

If I was a hamster I'd love being able to get to the nut bowl really fast.

As ever, it's one rule for tedious documents, another for rodents.

With a suitable source of compressed air, you could probably replicate that with what I've built.

Doesn't mean you should, but hey, I don't make the rules

21 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

With a suitable source of compressed air, you could probably replicate that with what I've built.

Doesn't mean you should, but hey, I don't make the rules

Don't listen to Dr Ian Malcolm, greatness comes to those who push the scientific envelope.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

I’d actually like to see a Straight Pride Day to see the sort of blokes that would go out and celebrate that. 

deary me ....

https://www.starobserver.com.au/news/national-news/new-south-wales-news/christian-men-hold-anti-lgbt-protest-in-sydney-gaybourhood-newtown/222302?fbclid=IwAR3k3Z0PZse2Nr985GaTFFcQu7mnrW2ocHv-SM4A_ZMQc8shc6R_QNzTqd8

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

men, many wearing black hoodies and some in masks, marching menacingly on King Street, loudly chanting the Lord’s Prayer”

Sorry straight men, the gays already got that chant. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1