Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

9 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Christians vs Gays is totally the protest standoff we've all been waiting for!  The sequel to TRAs in Balaclavas vs Lesbian Feminists!  

On 08/03/2023 at 09:54, Tommy G said:

Presume everyones council tax has gone up 5%?

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

£600 increase for us. 

21 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

What band are you? H!?

Ours appears to be going up £95, around 4.7% looking at the new chart. Band H for NWLDC is increasing by £200 ish......Greg must live in a Castle with special rates....

8 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Ours appears to be going up £95, around 4.7% looking at the new chart. Band H for NWLDC is increasing by £200 ish......Greg must live in a Castle with special rates....

I've mainly trusted what my wife has told me... which may be the first mistake.. but we are band F.... and I've just checked... it's about £200 increase. 

She's probably trying to shuttle away £400 for some new clothes or something! lol

At least I now know why we are always skint!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

I've mainly trusted what my wife has told me... which may be the first mistake.. but we are band F.... and I've just checked... it's about £200 increase. 

She's probably trying to shuttle away £400 for some new clothes or something! lol

Dangerous game mate keep an eye on that yourself, definitely trousering it away - I admire her valour!

2 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Dangerous game mate keep an eye on that yourself, definitely trousering it away - I admire her valour!

She was a bank manager previously, so I let her manage all of that stuff. Saves me the stress and worry! lol. 

It's nice to be oblivious to it to be honest.   She's great at money management... but based on recent evidence, possibly not Maths! 

4 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

Our house was band F until I appealed. Its now E which has saved some money. Many houses are wrongly banded but if you can prove that your house (or similar in the area if it wasn't built) had a market value of less than £120,000 in April 1990 than you can request rebanding. 

2 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

She was a bank manager previously, so I let her manage all of that stuff. Saves me the stress and worry! lol. 

It's nice to be oblivious to it to be honest.   She's great at money management... but based on recent evidence, possibly not Maths! 

My husband used to let his ex wife manage all their money, and she had him believing that there wasn't much money to spare, despite him bringing home good money, she didn't work but stayed at home to raise the children.

When he left her it turned out she had squirrelled 64k away in the bank, and he never saw a penny of it when they got divorced. It's what has become known as 'doing a Claire' in our house lol I'm not suggesting that's what's going on here btw, just a bit of friendly advice to maybe be careful ;) 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

My husband used to let his ex wife manage all their money, and she had him believing that there wasn't much money to spare, despite him bringing home good money, she didn't work but stayed at home to raise the children.

When he left her it turned out she had squirrelled 64k away in the bank, and he never saw a penny of it when they got divorced. It's what has become known as 'doing a Claire' in our house lol I'm not suggesting that's what's going on here btw, just a bit of friendly advice to maybe be careful ;) 

'Doing a Claire' now being used as a phrase makes it sound like someone else is doing it 😂

30 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

'Doing a Claire' now being used as a phrase makes it sound like someone else is doing it 😂

Haha no, only when we hear similar stories, it's surprising how much of this kind of thing goes on!

I have auto pay set up on ANPR at the Haymarket and Newarke St Car Parks through the City council. 

Got an email yesterday morning saying the auto pay system would be down for two weeks. 

Nipped into the Haymarket yesterday lunchtime took a ticket paid for parking at the machine. 

Got an email in the afternoon saying ‘Your auto pay payment has failed……’ Fired off a short email explaining……

Email back today can you send us the receipt (which I don’t usually take but I did yesterday as I just had a gut feeling there would be a problem!) Send receipt plus screenshot of original email saying the system is down. 

Then another email ‘Your auto payment has failed for a second time….we have suspended your account’ :@

Absolutely f*in clueless! 

6 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Doing a Claire in our house means talking incessantly, loudly, with nervous energy from the second you walk through the door, and leave having managed to say nothing. 

I love my in-laws. It’s always a joy and a pleasure. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sampson said:

Lineker (spelt correctly)… immensely likeable and talking obvious sense, while the government and media try to distract you by making a nothing tweet the bigger story than their horrifically unpatriotic, inhumane and flagrantly illegal policy (and by illegal, I mean against international law which the UK gallantly spearheaded and convinced the rest of the world to signing in creating in the list WW2 world as a direct result of the tyranny that swept Europe), which is fundamentally anti-British and anti-British values going against the fundamentals of the 1948 international human rights act which Britain was the lead signature of following the valiant fighting of our parents, grandparents, uncles and friends against the values of Europe at the time.

Our parents, grandparents and great grandparents all fought fundamentally on the side of the values Gary Lineker here and fundamentally against the side of the values of Suella Braverman and Rishi Sunak’s policy.

Lineker is a true patriot who is genuinely trying to serve this country for good. Meanwhile this government are quite frankly the most anti-British, unpatriotic and undemocratic government in anyone’s living memory.

..he is a likeable chap that linekur fella I agree..but all this historical stuff you mention ...British values..awful current government...bit myopic isn't it..wasnt Enoch Powell sitting in power shortly after the treaty you refer to?

11 minutes ago, Adrian said:

..he is a likeable chap that linekur fella I agree..but all this historical stuff you mention ...British values..awful current government...bit myopic isn't it..wasnt Enoch Powell sitting in power shortly after the treaty you refer to?

Enoch Powell was dismissed by Ted Heath from the shadow cabinet in 1968 after The infamous speech. So was not in power

35 minutes ago, Daggers said:

But on the upside, at least we haven't had to suffer pointless media coverage of food banks, astronomical fuel bills, unaffordable mortgages, breaching international treaties we we fundamental in setting up, PM's nominating their Dads for top honours, PM's grabbing cash from rich mates because they were so poor they couldn't provide for the children they spawned, or trifling things like queues of ambulances outside understaffed A&E departments.

Agreed and thats pretty much my point. Far more important issues to be concerned with at the minute.

Question (ish). I consider myself quite progressive. I loathe terms like “woke” and all the hokum that go with them. But I have a few conflicts that invoke issues that could be considered as such. The most pressing one, that I was brought up on by a family member recently, was the fact that I absolutely love Carl Douglas’ 1974 hit ‘Kung Fu Fighting’. Always have, always will. A terrific pop song. Is it wrong for me to like it? Open discussion here. 

Edit - realised reading this back how Partridge it sounds. 

Edited by kingkisnorbo