Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

2 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Question (ish). I consider myself quite progressive. I loathe terms like “woke” and all the hokum that go with them. But I have a few conflicts that invoke issues that could be considered as such. The most pressing one, that I was brought up on by a family member recently, was the fact that I absolutely love Carl Douglas’ 1974 hit ‘Kung Fu Fighting’. Always have, always will. A terrific pop song. Is it wrong for me to like it? Open discussion here. 

Edit - realised reading this back how Partridge it sounds. 

No, no its not. The left and right are united in their positive views on the excellent Kung Fu Fighting. Next slide please.

7 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Question (ish). I consider myself quite progressive. I loathe terms like “woke” and all the hokum that go with them. But I have a few conflicts that invoke issues that could be considered as such. The most pressing one, that I was brought up on by a family member recently, was the fact that I absolutely love Carl Douglas’ 1974 hit ‘Kung Fu Fighting’. Always have, always will. A terrific pop song. Is it wrong for me to like it? Open discussion here. 

Long as you aren’t hurting anyone - like whatever you like.

Wife and her friends have gone to London today.

Judging by the pictures of them collapsing at various monuments and tube stations following their drinking beginning with fizzy shit at 9am, all I can say is that London deserves them. 

London is shit. 

On 06/03/2023 at 22:22, Free Falling Foxes said:

I may be getting old, miserable and cynical.

Just seen on the news, friends of those youngsters killed or seriously injured in a car crash. They were laying loads of tributes in the form of flowers, cards, pictures and so on.

My first thought was, are they going back there in a week or two to tidy-up when this tribute more resembles fly tipping by the time the wind and rain has been at it?

Doubt it.

I used to work for Greenwich Council which was just up the street of the murder scene where Lee Rigby was beheaded. There was a bit of controversy between the council who wanted to take down the shrine after couple of years as it was getting hijacked by the far right and the media who was stirring the shit up despite the family supporting the council. It reached a point where the council told us all to go home early cause they were expecting trouble during their council meeting with the shrine on the agenda.

Anyway to cut the long story short, in the answer to your question (although I must confess I thought it was quite insensitive) it appears that the councils would be responsible for tidying up.

Edited by The Blur

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

Wife and her friends have gone to London today.

Judging by the pictures of them collapsing at various monuments and tube stations following their drinking beginning with fizzy shit at 9am, all I can say is that London deserves them. 

London is shit. 

Loathe the place.  My wife has family in centralish London and my heart sinks every time a visit is mooted.

56 minutes ago, The Blur said:

I used to work for Greenwich Council which was just up the street of the murder scene where Lee Rigby was beheaded. There was a bit of controversy between the council who wanted to take down the shrine after couple of years as it was getting hijacked by the far right and the media who was stirring the shit up despite the family supporting the council. It reached a point where the council told us all to go home early cause they were expecting trouble during their council meeting with the shrine on the agenda.

Anyway to cut the long story short, in the answer to your question (although I must confess I thought it was quite insensitive) it appears that the councils would be responsible for tidying up.

Here in Leicester some years ago, the council were criticised for insensitivity when they removed flowers and tributes left for someone who had been killed nearby. But they did it after quite sometime had passed.

Near where we live, close to where someone else had been tragically killed, many flowers and so on had been left. It did look wonderful, just like a display outside a florist - for a few days. Then, like the point I made in my initial post on this matter, it looked like a fly tip.

Dead flowers, deflated balloons, soggy tattered ribbons and paper.

If those who left the tributes really cared for the memory of their lost friend/relative, surely they would tidy it up and/or place fresh items?

1 minute ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Has the government now leant on Mark to close down the Gary Lineker thread?

There is no Gary Lineker thread. There never has been. Move along now, there’s nothing to see here. 

57 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

How do people spend time on FB and Twitter without being constantly frustrated at the number of idiots?

Be very selective about who your friends are and who you follow. And definitely don't read other people's comments 🙄 

And scroll a lot. A bit like the Leicester forum at the minute....

Edited by FoyleFox

On 10/03/2023 at 22:23, kingkisnorbo said:

It is absolutely not wrong of you to enjoy this fine song. Please relax and savour the pleasure.

My only slight gripe with this song relates to its credibility. Surely not everybody was kung-fu fighting? Even if we accept that a very large number of people were kung-fu fighting, surely a few were having a nap or enjoying a relaxing cup of tea or watching Jimmy Hill on MOTD or scoffing prawn cocktail followed by scampi and chips?

Admittedly I was only 12 in 1974 and might have lived in an untypical environment, but I don't remember seeing anybody kung-fu fighting. Mostly, they were just getting on with schoolwork, chatting shit, fighting in the playground or watching telly.

To be fair, if everybody had been kung-fu fighting, it would indeed have been more than "a little bit frightening". It would have been so absurd as to have scared me shitless.

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

How do people spend time on FB and Twitter without being constantly frustrated at the number of idiots?

*criss in science communicator*

Unfortunately, because it's often necessary to go up against the idiots and the misinformation.

5 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

It is absolutely not wrong of you to enjoy this fine song. Please relax and savour the pleasure.

My only slight gripe with this song relates to its credibility. Surely not everybody was kung-fu fighting? Even if we accept that a very large number of people were kung-fu fighting, surely a few were having a nap or enjoying a relaxing cup of tea or watching Jimmy Hill on MOTD or scoffing prawn cocktail followed by scampi and chips?

Admittedly I was only 12 in 1974 and might have lived in an untypical environment, but I don't remember seeing anybody kung-fu fighting. Mostly, they were just getting on with schoolwork, chatting shit, fighting in the playground or watching telly.

To be fair, if everybody had been kung-fu fighting, it would indeed have been more than "a little bit frightening". It would have been so absurd as to have scared me shitless.

Dont come here with your fake news, 9-11, "man didnt land oh the moon" theories... I was there... EVERYONE was kung fu fighting... i mean sure, it was hard to see as the kicks were fast as lightning...

11 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Facebook was sorted for me simply by unfriending an old racist schoolmate, and a cousin who was posting similar stuff being given a bit of a talking to by her brother.

Twitter is ok for me as long as I stick to the 'Following' category. The default 'for you' view does inject a lot of crap into the feed, including lots of lovely Andrew Taint stuff and the latest guff from the right wing talking heads of the day. I don't really mind though as I think it's helpful to know what's being said by those whose views aren't aligned with mine

3 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Dont come here with your fake news, 9-11, "man didnt land oh the moon" theories... I was there... EVERYONE was kung fu fighting... i mean sure, it was hard to see as the kicks were fast as lightning...

I always thought it was "those kids were fast as lightning". Some online lyrics use "kicks", some "kids", some "cats"....take yer pick.

It's possible that the kids/kicks being fast as lightning explains why I didn't realise that everybody (apart from me) was kung-fu fighting in 1974. Or maybe Carl Douglas went to a rougher school than I did - or one where they did kung-fu instead of football, hockey or cricket. The fights that I saw and was occasionally involved in mainly involved windmilling arms, boys in blazers scrabbling in the dirt and the odd split lip or nosebleed.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Block, block and block again - usually after reporting the account. If I’m bored I’ll hunt out a celebrity cvnt who acts like a twat magnet, unblock them, and go through their timeline to block loads who like their stuff. Preemptive blocking. Someone like that GBeebies Nazi cosplay vicar, a mate of Tommy Tennames, or Nigel Pointsatboats.

I’m in the tens of thousands for people blocked. I’ve got nine pages worth on here…probably more after the Gary Lineker threads. At least here I give folks a fighting chance though, usually two or three posts until they confirm beyond doubt that they’re a ****, Twitter and Facebook is instant.

I restrict who and what I see on FB, and still I have friends who virtue signal or attention seek appallingly - so I often unfollow them whilst not wishing to make an enemy. Twitter I avoid almost exclusively - unless I want to kick someone like British Gas into action (successfully, it turns out).

Sure I’ve said before, I love my wife but she is incredibly stupid on Facebook and exceptionally annoying with her likes, comments and retweets. She will share stuff because someone she knows asks her too - completely without thinking.

She’s shared antivax and racist bollox in the past. She’s always horrified when I pointed out what she did. For the sake of our marriage, she had to go on block because she won’t delete it; she just loves posting her out of focus pictures of what she’s currently eating.

Blocked one cousin too when she became one of those would-be influencer lockdown anti-jab nutters.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Sure I’ve said before, I love my wife but she is incredibly stupid on Facebook and exceptionally annoying with her likes, comments and retweets. She will share stuff because someone she knows asks her too - completely without thinking.

She’s shared antivax and racist bollox in the past. She’s always horrified when I pointed out what she did. For the sake of our marriage, she had to go on block because she won’t delete it; she just loves posting her out of focus pictures of what she’s currently eating.

Blocked one cousin too when she became one of those would-be influencer lockdown anti-jab nutters.

Hahahah that is brilliant, very funny read.

I very rarely use Facebook now, it's like MySpace, become extinct. I love going on Twitter, some of the stuff you read is hilariously wrong, loved it during Covid. It's very easy to get a reaction from sensitive posters, much easier than on here where people mainly act like adults.