Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

On 16/03/2023 at 08:13, Bellend Sebastian said:

Definitely not having some sort of breakdown episode 237:

I don't seem to be able to listen to the instrumental version of Dos Oraguitas from Encanto without being moved to tears.

I've lost fairly close relatives without crying, and this is a song about two caterpillars FFS. Curse you and your ability to shit out fantastic tunes seemingly at will, Lin-Manuel Miranda

Cured it by listening to the track about 20 times and also learned to play it.

What a piece of music though, so simple, genius really

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Do you think any of the title winning squad still own the BMW's given to them by Vichai?

Probably not. Most people would've changed their car since 2016, wouldn't they?

Although, if you're on footballer wages, and have a couple of cars anyway, perhaps you'd keep it for sentimental reasons.

58 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Although, if you're on footballer wages, and have a couple of cars anyway, perhaps you'd keep it for sentimental reasons.

Yep, Rooney still has his Ford Ka that he was given when he was a teenager at Everton.

8 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Hence the word "own".

On 16/03/2023 at 02:11, UniFox21 said:

The world is so money-centric, success is measured too frequently on how much you earn rather. Find myself too easily slipping into that frame of mind and trying to bring myself back to realisation 

Also, for me at least, Is the obsession with competition (in life and work, not sport) and comparison.

I have made enormous mental changes to ensure i dont treat other businesses and people in my area as competitors. It has made my day to day life enjoyment much greater and i can help others rather than "fight" them.

On 17/03/2023 at 16:00, Royston. said:

Do you think any of the title winning squad still own the BMW's given to them by Vichai?

According to Danny Simpson on under the cosh podcast most players sold them pretty much straight away, some got them wrapped a different colour because it confused them who's was who's and he kept his for 6 months then flogged it. I would of kept it if it was me but then I'm a sucker for sentiment, I mean I've still got the missus. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/03/2023 at 20:05, Daggers said:

People who never pay their invoices on time. 

Self employed people have bills to pay and families to feed. I’m at the stage where I’m going to sack off a client because he never pays up until you nag him for the seventeenth time two to three months down the road. Complete cock. 

When I ran a business I ALWAYS paid on time. Firstly, because I bought the service (noone made me buy their services/products) and secondly, the amount of goodwill and favours I got from being seen as a good customer probably earned me 1000s over the years in extras/freebies/favours. It was simple good business sense to pay in time. 

As for being paid, I once told a regular that although I knew he'd pay, he was always awkward and late so I had to budget as if he didn't pay and in doing so, when he eventually coughed up, I told him the money was like a bonus and I'd spunk all his money on a lads weekend or a business class flight I didn't need. The thought of me spunking his money made him sick. He could up a bank transfer within minutes 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

When I ran a business I ALWAYS paid on time. Firstly, because I bought the service (noone made me buy their services/products) and secondly, the amount of goodwill and favours I got from being seen as a good customer probably earned me 1000s over the years in extras/freebies/favours. It was simple good business sense to pay in time. 

As for being paid, I once told a regular that although I knew he'd pay, he was always awkward and late so I had to budget as if he didn't pay and in doing so, when he eventually coughed up, I told him the money was like a bonus and I'd spunk all his money on a lads weekend or a business class flight I didn't need. The thought of me spunking his money made him sick. He could up a bank transfer within minutes 

The only thing about always paying bang on time is that most business’ will have a thought time at some point with cash flow and if you end up paying on time every time, the moment you end up being a week or two late, people can sometimes start talking about you!  Business’ need to budget and know when you’re paying them - if you’re always a couple weeks late then your suppliers expect it and will likely budget for it.  of course if you take the pee being weeks and weeks late then you deserve to be bad mouthed and given no favours 

Edited by st albans fox

21 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Alexa, or my phone, is listening in on me again!

I've mentioned on here before how I suddenly receive ads relating to topics discussed over dinner.

Earlier today, my son and I were talking about electric tooth brushes. I come onto FT four hours later and what do I keep getting ads for?

Nosey cow.

they say it don't listen but how the **** does it do that then lol happened to me on numerous occasions, there will be a big scandal come out soon about all this probably although it may just pick up on keywords but still dodgy if they say it doesn't listen.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Start a new job tomorrow, bricking it, hate the feeling of not knowing what's going on or what I'm doing  

The great thing about starting a new job is that you can get away with "playing dumb and digging deep" during your induction.

No one will expect you to know what's going on or what you're doing, so just go in from a place of curiosity and wanting to learn.

Ask loads of questions and you'll soon pick stuff up. 

And you're probably 'bricking it' because you care and want to do well. That's a good thing :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

The big corporates are all shafting the small to medium sized businesses on payment terms at the minute I’m hearing it everywhere. 

We are at the thick end of £millions disappearing due to a large customer changing payment terms at the drop of the hat. Probably worst week at work in my career last week. 

2 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

they say it don't listen but how the **** does it do that then lol happened to me on numerous occasions, there will be a big scandal come out soon about all this probably although it may just pick up on keywords but still dodgy if they say it doesn't listen.

Oh it's proper insidious.

There'll be plenty of positive press about it for the next few years. Things that you can't really oppose - Alexa accidentally helps prevent a murder etc. Just to establish a precedent of how being constantly surveilled is a good thing.

Even in spite of being explicitly warned about this by Orwell, people have willing invited the vidiscreen into their houses.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Ugh. I hate this advice.

Far too many people 'pretending' that they're confident/competent through fear of getting caught out. No wonder so many people suffer from imposter syndrome.

I've got more respect for someone saying they don't know and being genuine/authentic about it.

Such a shame that so many work based cultures don't allow us to be human.

That slogan was 10 years ago I agree. What I probably meant is, you aren’t going to know every single detail of every single role, you have to be operating in the role above you before you get a promotion - and nothing can replace experience. 

I don’t think it’s “pretending” to be confident, you have to back yourself to get anywhere. I would rather employ someone confident who is 10% technically inferior to a similar candidate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Oh it's proper insidious.

There'll be plenty of positive press about it for the next few years. Things that you can't really oppose - Alexa accidentally helps prevent a murder etc. Just to establish a precedent of how being constantly surveilled is a good thing.

Even in spite of being explicitly warned about this by Orwell, people have willing invited the vidiscreen into their houses.

As much as totalitarianism is horrible, I'm curious to know exactly how this particular development leads directly to a 1984-style dystopia.