Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

I know the ultimate answer is because "parents love bragging about their kids" and I'm a heartless, childless man, but... (there was always going to be a but)

Has anyone met parents who admit their child isn't as advanced or "bright" or "clever" for their age? Everyone around me has kids and I swear to the lord above every single one of them comes away from school or nursery saying "oh X is so advanced for his age" or "X's reading age is really high compared to his classmates" "X's speech is years ahead of how old he is" "they said X is so clever"

I don't doubt some kids are, but when everyone is telling you basically the same thing, either I just know really bright kids, the nursery/schools are just saying what parents want to hear or the "average" kid of 2,3,4,5 etc years old has really come on in recent years.

Foxestalk, am I just being extra grumpy having heard this for the 9th time this year, or is there something to it?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I know the ultimate answer is because "parents love bragging about their kids" and I'm a heartless, childless man, but... (there was always going to be a but)

Has anyone met parents who admit their child isn't as advanced or "bright" or "clever" for their age? Everyone around me has kids and I swear to the lord above every single one of them comes away from school or nursery saying "oh X is so advanced for his age" or "X's reading age is really high compared to his classmates" "X's speech is years ahead of how old he is" "they said X is so clever"

I don't doubt some kids are, but when everyone is telling you basically the same thing, either I just know really bright kids, the nursery/schools are just saying what parents want to hear or the "average" kid of 2,3,4,5 etc years old has really come on in recent years.

Foxestalk, am I just being extra grumpy having heard this for the 9th time this year, or is there something to it?

Maybe I'm backwards but when teachers are telling me my daughter isn't in the top half of her class when it comes to maths and she needs to practice at home.... Why??

No one is the same and even if she was bottom of class that just means she is at a lower level at this moment in time to a class of 30 nine year olds.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Maybe I'm backwards but when teachers are telling me my daughter isn't in the top half of her class when it comes to maths and she needs to practice at home.... Why??

No one is the same and even if she was bottom of class that just means she is at a lower level at this moment in time to a class of 30 nine year olds.

Math becomes more complex as you learn so if you don't have the fundamentals down it makes it harder for the kids to do better. They roll with the curriculum and bring it up to keep you informed on where she needs help and how you may help her or get her additional supports etc.

Every kid learns and matures differently. There is always hope they will be fine though as some are just late bloomers that have lightbulb moments. As a parent my job is to help them be their best. Luckily, i have a degree in math and my wife is a teacher lol

Clearly, I never got the memo on how to type proper english sentences.

My daughter is 8 and was strugling to read at her class average. We got her extra support in the classroom (they offered) and focused on reading with her at home more. Within a month she was in the top of her class and loves to read now that she get's it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

My favourite is when someones kid got star pupil of the week or something like that when there are 20 pupils and 30 weeks in a school year....

1 hour ago, Royston. said:

You should have said “I don’t understand. What do you mean by half ?” 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Royston. said:

That in itself is ridiculous because, as you say, it changes over time. If every child practiced at home there'd still be those in the top half and those who aren't.

Not every child can be in "the top half", it doesn't make sense. Just a teacher trying to get you to do half their work for them.

9 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

If I was a teacher I'd probably just tell everyone their kids were in the top half, not like they're all going to compare notes with each other. 

That's kinda what this whole rant was about:P

Unless you're being sarcastic then:appl:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, foxile5 said:

What an incredibly poor take from someone who, having worked in state work, should probably know a bit better.

Why? I was stating an opinion not giving actual fact. 

Why should having worked in the state sector make my comment any less plausible? 

What's your take on it then?

3 hours ago, Royston. said:

That's kinda what this whole rant was about:P

Unless you're being sarcastic then:appl:

30 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Either that or be accused of shirking.

Just now, Parafox said:

Why? I was stating an opinion not giving actual fact. 

Why should having worked in the state sector make my comment any less plausible? 

What's your take on it then?

Yeah, right. Get on with your evening. Or give us your actual opinion and an answer rather than gainsaying.

10 hours ago, Parafox said:

Yeah, right. Get on with your evening. Or give us your actual opinion and an answer rather than gainsaying.

We’ll firstly we’ll address the ridiculous hyperbole - ‘half of their work’. By the poster’s admission they’re requesting that the parent does some maths with the child at home. Not marking, admin, planning, assessment, and the other facets of the job. Disingenuous.

Further to that, schools will have homework policies in place as a means of extending the curriculum for intervention purposes as well as challenging learners and embedding positive home/school collaboration. The teacher will have asked the parent to work at home with their child - and remember that education is part of parenthood - within the remits of the SCHOOL’S homework policy. It will be a requirement of the worker from their employer to do this and does not constitute, as you are so snidely implying, a dereliction of duties or handing off of responsibility. It will be a school mandated intervention strategy

To couch this in the parameters of your former profession - directing a patient to 111 or to their GP isn’t a paramedic ‘asking you to do half their work’ it is a workload easement strategy suggested by the Station Officers or Control.

But of course don’t let that stop you being a surly ****. 

Oh, and what I’m doing isn’t ‘gainsaying’. It might be sarcasm but it’s certainly not contradiction or speaking against something. Perhaps you need a bit of vocabulary homework.

• Thanks 1

On 25/05/2023 at 10:48, foxile5 said:

We’ll firstly we’ll address the ridiculous hyperbole - ‘half of their work’. By the poster’s admission they’re requesting that the parent does some maths with the child at home. Not marking, admin, planning, assessment, and the other facets of the job. Disingenuous.

Further to that, schools will have homework policies in place as a means of extending the curriculum for intervention purposes as well as challenging learners and embedding positive home/school collaboration. The teacher will have asked the parent to work at home with their child - and remember that education is part of parenthood - within the remits of the SCHOOL’S homework policy. It will be a requirement of the worker from their employer to do this and does not constitute, as you are so snidely implying, a dereliction of duties or handing off of responsibility. It will be a school mandated intervention strategy

To couch this in the parameters of your former profession - directing a patient to 111 or to their GP isn’t a paramedic ‘asking you to do half their work’ it is a workload easement strategy suggested by the Station Officers or Control.

But of course don’t let that stop you being a surly ****. 

Oh, and what I’m doing isn’t ‘gainsaying’. It might be sarcasm but it’s certainly not contradiction or speaking against something. Perhaps you need a bit of vocabulary homework.

Fair enough. Thanks for explaining that.

Guess I was a bit out of order.

That said, you took my post WAY to seriously. You mistook flippancy for... well, whatever you thought it was.

Edited by Parafox

32 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

A post that literally defines this thread.

Anyone with good gambling knowledge know any places offering odds on Saudi Arabia to host the 2030 World Cup? I've been hearing a few things and wouldn't mind having a tenner on them if the odds are good.

Go into any bookies and write your bet on a blank slip, and they should offer you odds.

On 24/05/2023 at 08:53, Footballwipe said:

I want to know why they all called their kids 'X'. 

20 hours ago, Royston. said:

My wife collects our 9 yo grandson from school once a week.

She says most of the children leave the classroom looking tired out. Indeed our grandson nearly always lays on the sofa until his dinner is ready.

I recall our own children rushing from classrooms, larking around with mates or having an impromptu game of football . Much like when I was at school.

I guess they work them far harder these days?

11 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

She says most of the children leave the classroom looking tired out. Indeed our grandson nearly always lays on the sofa until his dinner is ready.

I recall our own children rushing from classrooms, larking around with mates or having an impromptu game of football . Much like when I was at school.

Magnify this by about an order of magnitude, and you have the education systems in the Far East.

It's a dreadful pressure cooker environment and I wish it were different for the kids involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I'm not so sure that's true. 

I think most kids these days spend so much time sat on their arses looking at devices and eating shite rather than being active - it's no wonder they're always tired.

We never had the temptation of watching TickTok until the early hours on our phones, and playing football after school knackered us out naturally so we slept properly.

Just my opinion of course...