Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Well, passion is "strong and barely controllable emotion"; no one said it had to be good emotion.

So yes, I'm definitely applying it in a negative context here.

It is (imo) imbued, and thus abused, with positive inference by those that like to whitewash the many unspeakable things said by the emotionally incontinent, and those of us who try to remain calm are somehow accused more. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

It is (imo) imbued, and thus abused, with positive inference by those that like to whitewash the many unspeakable things said by the emotionally incontinent, and those of us who try to remain calm are somehow accused more. 

I've said on here before that too much calmness and stoicism through suppressing emotions can be deeply unhealthy for a person and people around them - and as you say here, emotional incontinence can likewise be massively unhealthy.

The key, as so often is the case, is balance - and also the wisdom to understand the context behind each situation where emotion or lack thereof comes into play.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

I've said on here before that too much calmness and stoicism through suppressing emotions can be deeply unhealthy for a person and people around them - and as you say here, emotional incontinence can likewise be massively unhealthy.

The key, as so often is the case, is balance - and also the wisdom to understand the context behind each situation where emotion or lack thereof comes into play.

True. For my part, it is containment rather than suppression. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

You know something? I was absolutely wrong about the LCFC section of the forum being as toxic as botulinum before.

It is now.

One of my many cheery life mottos is:

'It can always get worse.'

Suits all places and occasions, it does.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

You know something? I was absolutely wrong about the LCFC section of the forum being as toxic as botulinum before.

It is now.

It’s a public forum. 

People want to blow off steam and vent their frustrations. Many are emotionally invested in the club and what it represents. 

It’s predictably vocal, but easy enough to avoid if it’s not your thing. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Milo said:

It’s a public forum. 

People want to blow off steam and vent their frustrations. Many are emotionally invested in the club and what it represents. 

It’s predictably vocal, but easy enough to avoid if it’s not your thing. 

Certainly, and long should they be allowed to do so.

I merely pass comment - pretty disparaging comment, I'll admit - on the nature of at least some of that venting. I understand it, but I see no direct justification for it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Certainly, and long should they be allowed to do so.

I merely pass comment - pretty disparaging comment, I'll admit - on the nature of at least some of that venting. I understand it, but I see no direct justification for it.

Multiple comments. 

And regularly about how awful the human race is. 

Some people are emotional. It’s been an awful time for many. If you haven’t got a cat to kick, this is the next best place to get rid of some grumpy energy. 

I think I’ve said before to you, I’d hate to live in a world without experiencing the highs and lows of the human condition. 

2 minutes ago, Milo said:

Multiple comments. 

And regularly about how awful the human race is. 

Some people are emotional. It’s been an awful time for many. If you haven’t got a cat to kick, this is the next best place to get rid of some grumpy energy. 

I think I’ve said before to you, I’d hate to live in a world without experiencing the highs and lows of the human condition. 

Usually, and hopefully, paired with the observation that we are capable of, and do, better too. Which is why I want us to last for a good long time and so value the future so highly - if I didn't I would be caring about non-immediate issues, after all.

Human emotion is a valuable thing and so are expressions of it, however it's by no means a universal positive depending on the situation. Again, I'm not arguing against such expressions or that they should be inhibited in some way, I'm making the (accurate) comment that sometime such expressions aren't rational and can be counterproductive.

I feel like complaining about people being 'emotionally incontinent' and bemoaning people being reactionary after we just got relegated comes over as stuck up and snobbish. The truth is a minority of people are being dickheads and most are just venting their anger and frustration or even trying to be positive about the situation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

I feel like complaining about people being 'emotionally incontinent' and bemoaning people being reactionary after we just got relegated comes over as stuck up and snobbish. The truth is a minority of people are being dickheads and most are just venting their anger and frustration or even trying to be positive about the situation. 

Haha fair play to you - ‘emotionally incontinent’ is an awesome phrase - well done for coming up with that. But you can’t be surprised or stuck up and arrogant towards those who are angry at relegation, and it’s not cool to come across ‘yeh I’m so important I got better things to worry about than the football’ which you are not doing btw but I’m sure many are.

The last nine years have been incredible for me as I go to matches with family, some of the moments, stories and memories to be passed down are my most treasured possessions, far more than anything material I own. I’m not embarrassed to say ydays inevitable event has hit me and I barely slept last night. On the bright side the away trips next year will be fun but it will never compare

Does anyone who has a garage as part of their home, actually put their car in it?

A friend of ours came around with her 8 year grandson the other day and he asked us why have we put our car in the garage?

It got me thinking, our neighbours struggle to get a lawn mower in their garages let alone a car. Indeed, I can't think of one car owner I know who puts their vehicle away.

Do you?

19 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Does anyone who has a garage as part of their home, actually put their car in it?

A friend of ours came around with her 8 year grandson the other day and he asked us why have we put our car in the garage?

It got me thinking, our neighbours struggle to get a lawn mower in their garages let alone a car. Indeed, I can't think of one car owner I know who puts their vehicle away.

Do you?

Yes. Never had a house without a garage in 30 years and the car has always gone in the garage. I know quite a few who also do. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

10 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Haha fair play to you - ‘emotionally incontinent’ is an awesome phrase - well done for coming up with that. But you can’t be surprised or stuck up and arrogant towards those who are angry at relegation, and it’s not cool to come across ‘yeh I’m so important I got better things to worry about than the football’ which you are not doing btw but I’m sure many are.

The last nine years have been incredible for me as I go to matches with family, some of the moments, stories and memories to be passed down are my most treasured possessions, far more than anything material I own. I’m not embarrassed to say ydays inevitable event has hit me and I barely slept last night. On the bright side the away trips next year will be fun but it will never compare

Nope, he's complaining about me, and that phrase came from me. I stand by it, because an objective observation by an outsider (not the point, you might argue) might see that like in life, some people are using the forum to wilfully inflict themselves on the rest of us. To put it another way, they take no responsibility for the crap they come out with. 

You're both at absolute liberty to relegate my point of view as stuck up or however else you'd like to describe me - with all due respect you don't know me and therefore I cannot give too much care about a point of view that, at best, only partially understands where I'm coming from. 

So I will try to be clearer. I understand anger and venting about what's gone on. It isn't that I have better things to do as such, I've just learnt that my mental health must take priority. 

The point is that the same people dominate the forum with their insistent misery, whatever is going on, and it gets passed off as 'well it must mean more to him, he's just passionate'. And I just think that's bollocks. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Do you?

Why would I put my car in my garage when I've got my £50 lawn mower to protect and all my rusty hardly used tools! 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

you can’t be surprised or stuck up and arrogant towards those who are angry at relegation

It's possible to be upset about relegation without being a twat. Too many people aren't managing that.

11 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

On the bright side the away trips next year will be fun but it will never compare

I agree that they'll be fun (well, some will. Hopefully.). I do not agree that it will never compare.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

The point is that the same people dominate the forum with their insistent misery, whatever is going on, and it gets passed off as 'well it must mean more to him, he's just passionate'. And I just think that's bollocks.

Not only that, but some of them then slag off others for not being as miserable as they are.

And you're right. It's bollocks.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Nope, he's complaining about me, and that phrase came from me. I stand by it, because an objective observation by an outsider (not the point, you might argue) might see that like in life, some people are using the forum to wilfully inflict themselves on the rest of us. To put it another way, they take no responsibility for the crap they come out with. 

You're both at absolute liberty to relegate my point of view as stuck up or however else you'd like to describe me - with all due respect you don't know me and therefore I cannot give too much care about a point of view that, at best, only partially understands where I'm coming from. 

So I will try to be clearer. I understand anger and venting about what's gone on. It isn't that I have better things to do as such, I've just learnt that my mental health must take priority. 

Yeh...so turns out I didn't read this thread but just saw the last point, laughed at 'emotionally incontinent' and responded to that, apologies. Despite you saying you don't care about our point of view, presumably you do because you replied to us, and given that I would state I agree with your last sentence. It's not a competition of who cares more wins at all. I have read some of the main forum and it does not seem too outlandish given we are less than 48 hours since a generational event.

3 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

It's possible to be upset about relegation without being a twat. Too many people aren't managing that.

I agree that they'll be fun (well, some will. Hopefully.). I do not agree that it will never compare.

True. Guess I am just not seeing any of that, maybe I am not reading the 'right' threads - I will read some more today.

I admire your optimism and hope you are right. But Atletico in the CL QF's with city fans everywhere, Moscow to watch us play and win, a sold out stadio olimpico in a European semi final seem incomparable experiences for now.....until we draw Port Vale away in league cup round 1!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

maybe I am not reading the 'right' threads - I will read some more today.

I wouldn't bother going looking for the negative stuff!

7 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

we are less than 48 hours since a generational event.

Maybe this is key. I don't see relegation as a generational event. I'm an old codger these days; this is the eighth relegation I can remember, and I grew up with relegation being something that happened every few years.

You have to be in your twenties to remember the last time we got relegated - maybe it's just the shock of the new for a lot of people...?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yeh...so turns out I didn't read this thread but just saw the last point, laughed at 'emotionally incontinent' and responded to that, apologies. Despite you saying you don't care about our point of view, presumably you do because you replied to us, and given that I would state I agree with your last sentence. It's not a competition of who cares more wins at all. I have read some of the main forum and it does not seem too outlandish given we are less than 48 hours since a generational event.

I respect that you have a point of view, and felt confident I could set the record straight without being attacked. In other words I care to not be misrepresented, which I felt you're both good enough people to hear. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

I wouldn't bother going looking for the negative stuff!

Maybe this is key. I don't see relegation as a generational event. I'm an old codger these days; this is the eighth relegation I can remember, and I grew up with relegation being something that happened every few years.

You have to be in your twenties to remember the last time we got relegated - maybe it's just the shock of the new for a lot of people...?

Early 30s so yeh had nowhere near as many as you (no offence!!) and not as experienced. I say generational as I’ve had my mid 20s being used to attending all these glamour ties, enjoyed everything with friends and family, never imagined I’d be going to old Trafford, Stamford bridge etc multiple times with city, never mind into Europe!! That golden period is now finished, but I will find the charm in preston in November. 

Edited by grobyfox1990
Typo

Similarly I'm 20 years older than you @grobyfox1990, and I've been there, and I know what it's like to gamble my own wellbeing on the outcome of a football match.

I'm not happy with what's happened, but like you, I now have memories that no shoddy management or listless playing staff can ever take away. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

enjoyed everything with friends and family, never imagined I’d be going to old Trafford, Stamford bridge etc multiple times with city, never mind into Europe!! That golden period is now finished, but I will find the charm in preston in November.

You will!

It's the following Leicester bit, and the friends and family bit, that are what matters. Not the Stamford Bridge/Old Trafford/Europe bit.

Up the City!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1