Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

17 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Greek cuisine is the best in the world. 

Agreed. I think that Greek, Turkish and Persian food is all heavily influenced by each other and are my favourite restaurants in general, but it's hard to top Greek food for me.

Georgian food is also really good and crazy it hasn't really taken off in the UK yet, considering it's become really popular throughout the rest of Europe over the past decade or so as Georgia is trying to look westwards.

• Like 1

Just now, Sampson said:

Agreed. I think that Greek, Turkish and Persian food is all heavily influenced by each other and are my favourite restaurants in general, but it's hard to top Greek food for me.

Georgian food is also really good and crazy it hasn't really taken off in the UK yet, considering it's become really popular throughout the rest of Europe over the past decade or so as Georgia is trying to look westwards.

What's the Georgian dish that is essentially melted cheese in a bread boat? That looks incredible! Have you been to Georgia? I really fancy going. 

I think German cuisine hasn't taken off in the UK as much as it could considering how many people from the UK go to Germany and enjoy it. 

• Like 1

Just reading the above posts has made me realise, consciously, that we have adopted a French word when describing cooking styles. 

I mean, I knew already, but isn't it interesting that we do this sort of thing? 

I'm reminded of George W Bush, when he said 'the French don't even have a word for entrepreneur'. 

6 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

What's the Georgian dish that is essentially melted cheese in a bread boat? That looks incredible! Have you been to Georgia? I really fancy going. 

I think German cuisine hasn't taken off in the UK as much as it could considering how many people from the UK go to Germany and enjoy it. 

I haven't been personally but do know a couple of people who have and really liked it. Georgia has been trying to get out of the influence from Russia and join NATO/the EU the past 10-15 years, so they're really welcoming to western tourists apparently.

It's khachapuri you're thinking of, which is the most famous Georgian dish - there's 2 different versions, one that's like bread bowl filled with cheese and another that's cheese bread with a huge fried egg in the middle - I think they're genuinely better than pizza.

My understanding is that in the Soviet Union era, Georgian wine and Georgian food both had the stereotypical reputation as being the best in the world, a bit like French wine and Italian food's reputation in Western Europe. It's only really started to make it's way westwards the past decade or so. Been to a couple of Georgian restaurants when I was in Berlin and the food was fantastic, I expect they'll take off in the UK at some point soon.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Likewise I fancy doing Tbilisi and Yerevan in one go at some point

It's painfully unfunny when people on this forum deliberately suggest someone rubbish to sign for us or to be our new manager as some sort of joke. An example would be someone suggesting Steve Bruce to be our manager or signing Junior Lewis to play in midfield for us. It's just boring.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Nope, he's complaining about me, and that phrase came from me. I stand by it, because an objective observation by an outsider (not the point, you might argue) might see that like in life, some people are using the forum to wilfully inflict themselves on the rest of us. To put it another way, they take no responsibility for the crap they come out with. 

You're both at absolute liberty to relegate my point of view as stuck up or however else you'd like to describe me - with all due respect you don't know me and therefore I cannot give too much care about a point of view that, at best, only partially understands where I'm coming from. 

So I will try to be clearer. I understand anger and venting about what's gone on. It isn't that I have better things to do as such, I've just learnt that my mental health must take priority. 

The point is that the same people dominate the forum with their insistent misery, whatever is going on, and it gets passed off as 'well it must mean more to him, he's just passionate'. And I just think that's bollocks. 

I wasn't complaining about you. It was simply an interesting phrase combined with @leicsmac 's posting. Please don't feel like I'm trying to label you personally. 

I do think football fan culture in general has tolerated behaviour that it shouldn't for a very long time and a lot of people have beliefs about how other people should behave that they use to justify being abusive. On the other hand if someone simply uses the forum to channel their misery and isn't breaking any rules I don't think that's a problem. We have a block function or people can just choose not to interact. 

Edited by LiberalFox

4 hours ago, Sampson said:

I've been to a Turkish restaurant before and whilst it was nice it was all very based around meat and kebab style dishes. 

I think personally I prefer Asian food like Chinese/Thai/Indonesian, and Indian food, as well as Mediterranean stuff like Spanish/Italian cuisine. 

2 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

if someone simply uses the forum to channel their misery and isn't breaking any rules I don't think that's a problem. We have a block function or people can just choose not to interact.

Absolutely.

And, equally, people can choose to point out that they think someone's an idiot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

I wasn't complaining about you. It was simply an interesting phrase combined with @leicsmac 's posting. Please don't feel like I'm trying to label you personally. 

I do think football fan culture in general has tolerated behaviour that it shouldn't for a very long time and a lot of people have beliefs about how other people should behave that they use to justify being abusive. On the other hand if someone simply uses the forum to channel their misery and isn't breaking any rules I don't think that's a problem. We have a block function or people can just choose not to interact. 

Thank you - this post makes it a lot easier to discuss further.

I think it is possible to extrapolate the issue further. I heard someone say something about us (society) being in the mess we're in because of people like Simon Cowell normalising being unpleasant, and although it is meant with humour, it has a kernel of serious truth to it. I completely accept your point about the block feature and so forth, but that leaves an issue that there is created a tacit acceptance that being foul and dominating the forum with misery is fair enough and 'normal', and the onus is on the rest of us to not confront it - otherwise we get isolated and suspended/banned, and if we are all good boys and girls (as I try my best to be now), then we avoid the twattery, but nothing is done to improve the culture.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

It's painfully unfunny when people on this forum deliberately suggest someone rubbish to sign for us or to be our new manager as some sort of joke. An example would be someone suggesting Steve Bruce to be our manager or signing Junior Lewis to play in midfield for us. It's just boring.  

Apologies, I'll try and be funnier in the future 

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Thank you - this post makes it a lot easier to discuss further.

I think it is possible to extrapolate the issue further. I heard someone say something about us (society) being in the mess we're in because of people like Simon Cowell normalising being unpleasant, and although it is meant with humour, it has a kernel of serious truth to it. I completely accept your point about the block feature and so forth, but that leaves an issue that there is created a tacit acceptance that being foul and dominating the forum with misery is fair enough and 'normal', and the onus is on the rest of us to not confront it - otherwise we get isolated and suspended/banned, and if we are all good boys and girls (as I try my best to be now), then we avoid the twattery, but nothing is done to improve the culture.

That makes a lot of sense and I completely agree. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Bear said:

I've been to a Turkish restaurant before and whilst it was nice it was all very based around meat and kebab style dishes. 

I think personally I prefer Asian food like Chinese/Thai/Indonesian, and Indian food, as well as Mediterranean stuff like Spanish/Italian cuisine. 

I stay away a lot as part of my job. As you say, Turkish food can be quite basic but I often have it when I'm staying away because it can be quite low in fat and if I was eating pizza or an Indian everytime I was doing an overnight stay, I'd get fat. A lot of Turkish dishes are basically meat, rice and salad. Pretty good if you want to watch what you are eating. 

Edited by BenTheFox
  • Like 1

On 30/05/2023 at 09:53, BenTheFox said:

I love Greek food, and Greece in general. If I won the lottery I'd probably move there, will probably settle for southern Bulgaria though which is just next door.

East Med food for me is the best, anywhere from Sicily to Lebanon.

On 30/05/2023 at 09:53, BenTheFox said:

On 30/05/2023 at 10:13, Sampson said:

1 hour ago, bovril said:

I love Greek food, and Greece in general.

We're off to Rhodes in July.

Apart from Greek salads, what other food should we try?

Does anyone here who works weekends listen to the radio for example (specifically on a Friday) and get miffed that they speak as though their entire audience has just worked their last day of the week and has the weekend off? Is it just me? lol

I worked in retail for almost a decade and it pissed me off listening to stuff like that. I've now worked a Mon-Fri job the last 3.5 years and it still bugs me on behalf of people who have to work weekends lol Even more so I work in a retailer head office where I know a fun/interactive/round up of the week kind of email goes out to store colleagues (who work weekends) which always starts "Happy Friday!!! :)" I find it a bit...... Bleurgh

18 hours ago, ozleicester said:

No photo description available.

I get the point made in his opening paragraph.

Advertising can be a ignored, though. 

You still have a conscious choice. 

Edited by Parafox

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

We're off to Rhodes in July.

Apart from Greek salads, what other food should we try?

Souvlaki (lamb kebabs on skewers in pitta with roasted peppers and onions) with fresh Tzatziki dip i

Lamb Kleftico. Greek leg of lamb, usually cooked as a tray bake, with onions, pepper and potatoes, feta and baby toms and Greek herbs.

Mousaka. Minced lamb layered between aubergine (maybe tomatoes as well) with a bechamel sauce and herbs.

Pastitsio. (Greek version of pasta bake but so much better)

Dolmades. (Stuffed vine leaves with rice and herbs)

Baklava for dessert.

Edited by Parafox
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

The Chelsea owners wikipedia photo is ****ing terrifying

Todd_Boehly_Official_Headshot_crop.jpg

That’s Andy from The Office (USA) shortly before he had his breakdown and punched a hole in a wall

• Haha 2