Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Serves you right for not shopping at Aldi.

Or do you... :ph34r:

Maybe you might go there for a cordless power tool with no battery included. Or a snorkel and facemask.

I most certainly do, their Davidstow Cheddar is epic, and to be recommended. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

Good god. I cannot imagine what that must have felt like.

It felt BAD. It was weird, because it went on long enough that it sort of started to feel a bit unreal, and I got a strong sense of struggling to believe it was actually happening. I've probably said this before, but if you got shot, or attacked by a lion/bear/shark or whatever I think part of you would struggle to process it because it's just beyond your comprehension.

The only positive about it was, having been warned that the recovery would be no picnic, it was actually really easy and painless, probably because my pain threshold had gone through the roof after that

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It felt BAD. It was weird, because it went on long enough that it sort of started to feel a bit unreal, and I got a strong sense of struggling to believe it was actually happening. I've probably said this before, but if you got shot, or attacked by a lion/bear/shark or whatever I think part of you would struggle to process it because it's just beyond your comprehension.

The only positive about it was, having been warned that the recovery would be no picnic, it was actually really easy and painless, probably because my pain threshold had gone through the roof after that

Hence supporting City is easy for you!

21 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

We're in Portugal for 2 weeks and we can't find alioli in the supermarket. It's become a staple of our diet, so we'll be driving back to Spain over the weekend to buy some. Thankfully it's only about half an hour to the nearest Mercadona, and yes I know I could make my own, but it's not the same.

Is this a Fulham forum?

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I most certainly do, their Davidstow Cheddar is epic, and to be recommended. 

Davidstow is great but I don't think I've seen it in Aldi.

I must look behind all that alioli stuff.

3 hours ago, The Bear said:

I'm having two top wisdom teeth out on Tuesday. Local anaesthetic. 

Cheers for the horror stories.... 😬

I hate going to to the dentist ever since we had a dentist visit the school to check the kids teeth. This was circa 1963, I remember having my wrists strapped to the chair and a rubber bung with hole in it being clamped in my mouth. The bung was a bite block and the hole was to enable him to "gas" me into oblivion.

Genuinely terrifying.

I have a friend who was a dentist and he treated me on several occasions and he was really skilled.  

He also explained that extractions aren't done by pulling the tooth but by pressing down with the extractor whilst moving the tooth back and forth and side to side whilst rotating it slightly to detach the root and the tooth from the bone of the jaw. That's the crunching sound you hear and why you feel pressure around the area of the extraction.

Anyway, @The Bear, my daughter has had to have wisdom teeth removed under local anaesthetic. Hers were so deep rooted they had to cut her gum to get traction.

Hope that helps :P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

The anesthetic didn't work when I had mine out, I've no idea why not. A full quarter century on the memory is still quite vivid 

IIRC injected anaesthetics are a nerve blocker and they have to be relatively accurate in the placement of the needle. 

It sometimes fails to work properly if the anaesthetic isn't in the right place. Also some people have a high tolerance to it. 

Did the dentist not do a pinprick test before the extraction to see if it was numb?

Mind you, dentistry has come a long way in 25 years.

Edited by Parafox

17 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I hate going to to the dentist ever since we had a dentist visit the school to check the kids teeth. This was circa 1963, I remember having my wrists strapped to the chair and a rubber bung with hole in it being clamped in my mouth. The bung was a bite block and the hole was to enable him to "gas" me into oblivion.

Genuinely terrifying.

I have a friend who was a dentist and he treated me on several occasions and he was really skilled.  

He also explained that extractions aren't done by pulling the tooth but by pressing down with the extractor whilst moving the tooth back and forth and side to side whilst rotating it slightly to detach the root and the tooth from the bone of the jaw. That's the crunching sound you hear and why you feel pressure around the area of the extraction.

Anyway, @The Bear, my daughter has had to have wisdom teeth removed under local anaesthetic. Hers were so deep rooted they had to cut her gum to get traction.

Hope that helps :P

I've no doubt they'll cut my gums. The teeth are eroded almost right down so they'll have nothing to get hold of to start with. 

• Sad 1

All these wisdom teeth stories are making me exceedingly grateful that, due to their unfortunate placement, it was suggested that it would be better to have them removed under general anaesthetic. A suggestion I immediately accepted!

I’m not particularly squeamish and have a pretty high pain threshold but teeth have always freaked me out for some reason…

1 minute ago, reporterpenguin said:

All these wisdom teeth stories are making me exceedingly grateful that, due to their unfortunate placement, it was suggested that it would be better to have them removed under general anaesthetic. A suggestion I immediately accepted!

I’m not particularly squeamish and have a pretty high pain threshold but teeth have always freaked me out for some reason…

Me too. 

15 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Fulham on match day is hilarious, they're all so civilised walking to the ground 

And we're not? lol

I'll tell you a little story:

When I attended The KP in a professional capacity as medical cover for supporters and players, we had to park 2 ambulances on the concourse outside the first aid room and one close to the players entrance. 

My crewmate and I were sitting in the ambulance ahead of kick-off. (we had to be there 2 hours in advance).

About an hour before KO a group of LCFC supporters thought it was funny to come up to our vehicle and start to push it and rock it from side to side and bang on the windows.

We weren't particularly alarmed as it was meant in jest. But.... why?

Edited by Parafox

26 minutes ago, Parafox said:

IIRC injected anaesthetics are a nerve blocker and they have to be relatively accurate in the placement of the needle. 

It sometimes fails to work properly if the anaesthetic isn't in the right place. Also some people have a high tolerance to it. 

Did the dentist not do a pinprick test before the extraction to see if it was numb?

Mind you, dentistry has come a long way in 25 years.

I've had LOADS of dental work done over the years and this was the only time anything even remotely like this has ever happened.

They did prod me after the first injection, but I could still feel it, so they gave me a second one which made no difference and when a third had seemingly no effect they basically went 'f*** it, let's just get on and do it'. Either they were doing it wrong or they'd accidentally filled the syringe with the Um Bingo

The whole thing was a shambles. I wasn't long out of university myself and the person doing it didn't seem as old as me. They managed to dislocate my jaw twice during the procedure and - no word of a lie - she had to call some porter bloke in shove it back into place.

I was young and I'm not a complaining kind of guy anyway and I was just glad to get out of there, but I think if this happened to someone now a lot of folk would shout the roof off and maybe even get legal. I had neck and back problems afterwards for years and and it was about fifteen years later that I realised these had started within weeks of this procedure and although I can't prove they were linked it seems a bit of a coincidence

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

And we're not? lol

I'll tell you a little story:

When I attended The KP in a professional capacity as medical cover for supporters and players, we had to park 2 ambulances on the concourse outside the first aid room and one close to the players entrance. 

My crewmate and I were sitting in the ambulance ahead of kick-off. (we had to be there 2 hours in advance).

About an hour before KO a group of LCFC supporters thought it was funny to come up to our vehicle and start to push it and rock it from side to side and bang on the windows.

We weren't particularly alarmed as it was meant in jest. But.... why?

Because people think it's clever to be a bit of a wanka.