Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

18 minutes ago, Line-X said:

"I hate it when people say PIN number. 

The N in PIN literally stands for number"

The English language. A strange, complex, inexplicable living thing. There's sometimes no accounting for what becomes part of the language and what doesn't.*

* Probably actually applies to all languages

4 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

The English language. A strange, complex, inexplicable living thing. There's sometimes no accounting for what becomes part of the language and what doesn't.*

* Probably actually applies to all languages

See the 'Phunny (Funny) Photos/Pictures' thread. ;)

16 hours ago, The Blur said:

Is it just me or are ambulances far more slower and perhaps risk averse nowadays?

Driver training has had to change.

When I first joined, ambulances were Crown vehicles and were considered to be owned by the Government and were exempt from road tax and insurance.

As Ambulance services started to become NHS trusts, the had to have special fleet insurance for the vehicles so lots of measures were introduced to try  to minimise the cost of claims. Also, private car drivers that were involved in a collision with another private vehicle as a result of moving over or crossing a red light, for example, began making claims through their own insurers against the ambulance service. As a result of these factors, driver training has changed in so far as they are now told to turn off blue lights and sirens if they are in a queue of traffic waiting at a red light particularly if the traffic is restricted by traffic calming or by the road layout such as the Leicester Road /Glenhills Boulevard junction. This reduces the anxiety and panic of drivers in trying to move over and putting themselves and others at risk.

Also, 999 calls are now more accurately assessed and coded category 1 to 3. 1 being the highest priority needing an immediate response. Cat 3 are the least urgent and those are likely to be the ones that you feel ambulances are travelling slower to.

Ambulance driver training has always been about progressive, safe and defensive driving. still, Individual drivers have different styles of driving. Some will be gung-ho and others will be more conservative.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Driver training has had to change.

When I first joined, ambulances were Crown vehicles and were considered to be owned by the Government and were exempt from road tax and insurance.

As Ambulance services started to become NHS trusts, the had to have special fleet insurance for the vehicles so lots of measures were introduced to try  to minimise the cost of claims. Also, private car drivers that were involved in a collision with another private vehicle as a result of moving over or crossing a red light, for example, began making claims through their own insurers against the ambulance service. As a result of these factors, driver training has changed in so far as they are now told to turn off blue lights and sirens if they are in a queue of traffic waiting at a red light particularly if the traffic is restricted by traffic calming or by the road layout such as the Leicester Road /Glenhills Boulevard junction. This reduces the anxiety and panic of drivers in trying to move over and putting themselves and others at risk.

Also, 999 calls are now more accurately assessed and coded category 1 to 3. 1 being the highest priority needing an immediate response. Cat 3 are the least urgent and those are likely to be the ones that you feel ambulances are travelling slower to.

Ambulance driver training has always been about progressive, safe and defensive driving. still, Individual drivers have different styles of driving. Some will be gung-ho and others will be more conservative.  

That is really insightful thank you.    To be fair, in my experience I have never encountered any dangerous ambulance driving and all risks taken were very measured and fair. 

Are the Trusts not still under the government largely unless if the fleet has been privatised? 

Edited by The Blur

8 minutes ago, The Blur said:

That is really insightful thank you.    To be fair, in my experience I have never encountered any dangerous ambulance driving and all risks taken were very measured and fair. 

Are the Trusts not still under the government largely unless if the fleet has been privatised? 

They are in terms of being part of the NHS. Ambulance Trusts operate in a similar way to hospital trusts. They are given a budget by Gov and they have to manage it.

IIRC that includes all costs with the exception of vehicle procurement. That is funded by the NHS under a rolling fleet modernisation /renewal scheme.

• Thanks 1

Popped in to Morrisons to pick up a birthday card for our 3yo grandson.

They had none.

They were however, plenty of 'politically correct' greetings cards referring to gender neutral granchild, non gender specific birth congratulations cards, non binary etc and so on.

Sign of the times I guess........

Edited by Free Falling Foxes