Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

6 hours ago, bovril said:

Anyone else dislike members of their close family? I have realized in recent years I have absolutely nothing in common with my sisters and don't really like being around them. Obviously I'd help them if they ever needed it because they're family, but honestly if they were random work colleagues or neighbors I'd probably avoid them like the plague. 

Some annoying things about siblings but to be fair i'm sure they find a few things annoying about me. Love my brothers with all my heart and can't imagine not having them around (knocking on wood).

I do have a few aunts/cousins/uncles who i'd slap if i was not related to them lol. Ok, maybe not slap but not be so cool with them. As i age, i just take the 'be polite and respectful' route even if i dont fancy their presence.

11 hours ago, bovril said:

Anyone else dislike members of their close family? I have realized in recent years I have absolutely nothing in common with my sisters and don't really like being around them. Obviously I'd help them if they ever needed it because they're family, but honestly if they were random work colleagues or neighbors I'd probably avoid them like the plague. 

Not really dislike, but my mum unfortunately. I love her and would do anything for her, but we're complete polar opposites in terms of personality and way of life. Having more than a 5 min conversation with her can be like torture to me. 

13 hours ago, Parafox said:

I've been into computer games for about 40 years and that place is great for grey gamers like I am now, to remember the originals. The time where you could program your own games and write them to a cassette tape and then enjoy what you created. Absolute enjoyable shit because "I did that. I wrote code for some stick man to jump out of a tower block and I could save him at every floor if I timed it right".

The odd noise of a game being loaded from cassette onto the console... 

Here's a question for you:

How long did it take for a typical game to load from a cassette?

I did this literally thousands of times, but I couldn't tell you if it took 2 minutes or 20 minutes. It felt like ages, as everything does when you're young, made worse by it randomly deciding not to work on many occasions

10 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Here's a question for you:

How long did it take for a typical game to load from a cassette?

I did this literally thousands of times, but I couldn't tell you if it took 2 minutes or 20 minutes. It felt like ages, as everything does when you're young, made worse by it randomly deciding not to work on many occasions

I had a c64 back in the day, some games took 1 or 2 minutes and some were 20 minutes plus. I had a game called Run the Gauntlet (remember the TV show anyone?) and I loved it but it just took too bloody long to load. And when you finished a level it automatically would start loading for the next part of the game. I'm sure it was a 4 cassette game. 

I had an older brother who used to fast forward little bits at a time whilst loading and for some reason the game still worked, never did for me though. 

26 minutes ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

I had a c64 back in the day, some games took 1 or 2 minutes and some were 20 minutes plus. I had a game called Run the Gauntlet (remember the TV show anyone?) and I loved it but it just took too bloody long to load. And when you finished a level it automatically would start loading for the next part of the game. I'm sure it was a 4 cassette game. 

I had an older brother who used to fast forward little bits at a time whilst loading and for some reason the game still worked, never did for me though. 

Did the game feature a sample of Martin Shaw saying "if you like action sports, this is the place to be"? I ask because a mate of mine had it and used to say this repeatedly for the LOLZ.

The curse of the multi-load! I'd forgotten about that. Absolutely infuriating if the game was designed so that you had to go back to the start on death and reload the first level.

I've also just remembered that some games (on the C64 at least) played music as they were loading, in an effort to keep you entertained

• Like 1

On 28/08/2023 at 20:31, bovril said:

Dislike isn't quite the word, but I struggle to relate positively with my brother. 

4 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Dislike isn't quite the word, but I struggle to relate positively with my brother. 

I might be generalising but that I think that is more common than most people think. My brother and I are generally very different people. He is my brother, I love him. However, if he wasn’t, his personality, life opinions etc. are so different to mine, I doubt in the real world that me and him would hit it off. And I think that’s quite a taboo thing to say but it really shouldn’t be. I believe family is important and I’ll be there for him if he needs me but he is a different person - there is no reason why I should be like him or vice versa. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I might be generalising but that I think that is more common than most people think. My brother and I are generally very different people. He is my brother, I love him. However, if he wasn’t, his personality, life opinions etc. are so different to mine, I doubt in the real world that me and him would hit it off. And I think that’s quite a taboo thing to say but it really shouldn’t be. I believe family is important and I’ll be there for him if he needs me but he is a different person - there is no reason why I should be like him or vice versa. 

My brother is just the main family victim, and loves to play the self-pity card - everything I try hard not to be.

On 28/08/2023 at 21:31, bovril said:

I had a pretty toxic relationship with my parents growing up, and really didn't like either of them as a result of the way I was treated. I spent years trying to put on a front and 'forget', but out of the blue my mother just stopped all contact with both me and my children over the lockdown period, and both my brothers then did the same. I don't miss any of them, although I will admit to being a little bewildered! Family can be weird, and I don't feel obligated to maintain a relationship with people who clearly aren't interested, you wouldn't do it under any other circumstances. 

• Sad 1

On 28/08/2023 at 20:31, bovril said:

Not dislike but me and my sister are polar opposites in terms of interests and outlook on life, we wouldnt dislike each each other but we'd never ever be mates in any other walk of life. We see each other and send birthday cards to each others families but we wouldnt call each other for a catch up unless it was about something specific or about our parents. We're both pretty mutual on it and just accept thats the way it is.

• Like 1

I pretty much have broken off contact with all of my family. They have little tolerance or understanding of mental health issues, well mine anyway. Brother has always supported my parents over me, parents have always been incredibly shit at parenting. It’s toxic so I cut it out of my life. I have two wonderful kids and a great wife, that’s family enough for me.

• Like 2

My Wife and sister in law haven't spoken to their brother for over 5 years due to his anger issues and controlling nature.

Being the son and youngest, in Indian families he is seen as the golden child.

All through his years he was spoilt and expected everyone to say yes to him.

Finally when he stood up and shouted at my SIL  infront of loads of relatives, for leaving a dumbbell on the floor where his kid was playing, the sisters shouted back and told him to talk respectfully and act like an adult not a kid.

This led to further confrontations and then a complete stand off.

To be honest our lives are much enhanced without him, his family and his tantrums.

I'm at that age, i don't really give a flying feck about who's in my family or not- if i like them i will go out of my way to talk to them. If not feck them- lifes far too short!

Edited by Raj
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Daggers said:

I pretty much have broken off contact with all of my family. They have little tolerance or understanding of mental health issues, well mine anyway. Brother has always supported my parents over me, parents have always been incredibly shit at parenting. It’s toxic so I cut it out of my life. I have two wonderful kids and a great wife, that’s family enough for me.

Our relationship with our eldest (adopted) daughter has been tenuous for some time. She suffers from MH issues which we have sought help and support for on her behalf for a long time. We have done our best to be tolerant and supportive over the years in many ways. 

She has been increasingly paranoid and believes we have been sending people to her flat for the last 2 years to antagonise her and damage her belongings . Her attitude to us is awful. Verbal abuse by text sometimes 100 times a day plus VM's full of hate and bile towards us.

We've never given up on her but she has decided she wants nothing more to do with and has practically cut us off apart from continuing the abuse.

Now, actually, I've decided that if she was someone I came across in my job or met in a different circumstance, I really wouldn't like her and would never want anything to do with her.

We adopted her when she was 2 yrs old so the place where we are now, 30 yrs later is difficult but, TBH if I knew I never had to see her in person ever again, I'd be a lot less anxious and stressed.

8 hours ago, Parafox said:

Our relationship with our eldest (adopted) daughter has been tenuous for some time. She suffers from MH issues which we have sought help and support for on her behalf for a long time. We have done our best to be tolerant and supportive over the years in many ways. 

She has been increasingly paranoid and believes we have been sending people to her flat for the last 2 years to antagonise her and damage her belongings . Her attitude to us is awful. Verbal abuse by text sometimes 100 times a day plus VM's full of hate and bile towards us.

We've never given up on her but she has decided she wants nothing more to do with and has practically cut us off apart from continuing the abuse.

Now, actually, I've decided that if she was someone I came across in my job or met in a different circumstance, I really wouldn't like her and would never want anything to do with her.

We adopted her when she was 2 yrs old so the place where we are now, 30 yrs later is difficult but, TBH if I knew I never had to see her in person ever again, I'd be a lot less anxious and stressed.

Family who are mentally ill can be incredibly hard to manage.  Ultimately you have to look after your own health.  My Mother in law suffers from Narcissistic personality disorder and he haven't spoken for over 10 years.

57 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Families are so bizarre. Parts of mine are incredibly close and others I could be stood next to them in a pub/shop and we wouldn't acknowledge each other

I haven't spoken to most of my family in years beyond my parents and a couple of other close relatives. 

We haven't fallen out, we get along the rare occasions we all come together (usually now a funeral sadly) but we simply have very little in common and no real desire to stay in touch.

My wife's family on the other hand, no such luck. Feel like I'm seeing the bustards every week even though they live ages away.  

As you say, very odd things.  

4 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

So in my hunt to see what jobs are out there I've uploaded a CV to a couple of sites to have offers come in.

Never had so many emails in my life. 

Even had an offer for a work from home role in engineering design. God damn. :blink:

I'm not sure from your post if the offer is a good or a bad thing?!

40 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'm not sure from your post if the offer is a good or a bad thing?!

Honestly neither am I lol

The money on offer is slightly less than what I get now, but the trouble we're having at the minute is my missus isn't working because of the lil one so if I could work at home and manage to look after her while the missus gets back to work we'd be better off overall.

Going to ask for some more details, if it's what I think it is, I can bash out 8 hours of that kind of work in about 2 hours. :D

1 minute ago, Steve Earle said:

I’ve just re-watched the FA Cup Final win. If any of you are feeling as good as I’m feeling now, fair play to you!

Oh. Maybe I shouldn’t have let it run…BT’s linkman calls us ‘a team built on solid foundations, a team on the up, and a team that’s here to stay’.

Feel shit now.

• Haha 1