Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

14 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Honestly neither am I lol

The money on offer is slightly less than what I get now, but the trouble we're having at the minute is my missus isn't working because of the lil one so if I could work at home and manage to look after her while the missus gets back to work we'd be better off overall.

Going to ask for some more details, if it's what I think it is, I can bash out 8 hours of that kind of work in about 2 hours. :D

Sounds like it could work out pretty well for you, good luck!

• Thanks 1

We have a family member in hospital and as well as visiting daily, we are speaking regularly with the clinical staff.

That is, we are trying to.

I'm afraid their command of English is often poor - very poor even.

It is clear that the NHS need foreign nationals to function but this is an unfortunate consequence of that.

I do recall however; that back when David Cameron was PM, he was aware of this and said front line clinicians must have a good command of English.

Mmmmm......

On 04/09/2023 at 10:51, Free Falling Foxes said:

We have a family member in hospital and as well as visiting daily, we are speaking regularly with the clinical staff.

That is, we are trying to.

I'm afraid their command of English is often poor - very poor even.

It is clear that the NHS need foreign nationals to function but this is an unfortunate consequence of that.

I do recall however; that back when David Cameron was PM, he was aware of this and said front line clinicians must have a good command of English.

Mmmmm......

Why are native English speakers not having these jobs the "non English" speaking ones are doing then?

Just asking??

2 hours ago, Raj said:

Why are native English speakers not having these jobs the "non English" speaking ones are doing then?

Just asking??

I think the answer is ironic really. Many staff trained here, work overseas when qualified.

I wonder if they make a greater effort to be understood in their adopted country?

Another unfortunate consequence of relying on foreign nationals to staff our NHS is, I am led to understand, deprives their home country of much needed qualified practitioners.

6 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I think the answer is ironic really. Many staff trained here, work overseas when qualified.

I wonder if they make a greater effort to be understood in their adopted country?

Another unfortunate consequence of relying on foreign nationals to staff our NHS is, I am led to understand, deprives their home country of much needed qualified practitioners.

So its fine for the staff here to go and work overseas but not the other way round?

And the staff who leave the NHS to go abroad, oh hang on...THEY too deprive their own country of much needed qualified practitioners!!!!

Brilliant!!!

Edited by Raj

25 minutes ago, Raj said:

So its fine for the staff here to go and work overseas but not the other way round?

And the staff who leave the NHS to go abroad, oh hang on...THEY too deprive their own country of much needed qualified practitioners!!!!

Brilliant!!!

Mmmm, not sure why your reply is seemingly emotive?

Nowhere did I say it is fine, I said it is ironic. Purely because it is leaves 'host' countries short of staff, so there is a need to search abroad, which leaves them short, as I alluded to.

But there is a more pressing problem; it is absolutely crucial that doctors, nurses and patients can understand one another if treatment is to be effective.

I am experiencing that this isn't always the case.

4 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Mmmm, not sure why your reply is seemingly emotive?

Nowhere did I say it is fine, I said it is ironic. Purely because it is leaves 'host' countries short of staff, so there is a need to search abroad, which leaves them short, as I alluded to.

But there is a more pressing problem; it is absolutely crucial that doctors, nurses and patients can understand one another if treatment is to be effective.

I am experiencing that this isn't always the case.

By and large, British qualified medical staff got to places like Oz, NZ, (obviously English Speaking countries) or Saudi, and Hong Kong where English is fluent as a second language and the issue with understanding and communication is lessened.

Unfortunately, and I say this without bias, clinicians that come here to work don't have such a level of fluency in English.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

Does anyone else on here use the Too Good to Go app?

Where you can order food and groceries that would otherwise be binned and you can buy at a big discount. 

It's random as to what you get but, for example, Greggs are big into this and if you get your order in time via the TGTG app you get at least a pack of 4 sausage rolls, some pastries maybe a steak bake or equivalent, and cakes or doughnuts, at least one baguette or some sarnies. It varies and there's no way of knowing what the bag might have in it, but generally it's decent. The contents are worth at least £15 if bought together during the day. A TGTG bag costs £3.

There's a few places, such as the Co-Op, Aldi, Morrisons, Costa, a few chippies, and other fast food outlets doing this.

You just have to get in quick to be successful and you have to accept that what's in the bag.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Where you can order food and groceries that would otherwise be binned and you can buy at a big discount. 

It's random as to what you get but, for example, Greggs are big into this and if you get your order in time via the TGTG app you get at least a pack of 4 sausage rolls, some pastries maybe a steak bake or equivalent, and cakes or doughnuts, at least one baguette or some sarnies. It varies and there's no way of knowing what the bag might have in it, but generally it's decent. The contents are worth at least £15 if bought together during the day. A TGTG bag costs £3.

There's a few places, such as the Co-Op, Aldi, Morrisons, Costa, a few chippies, and other fast food outlets doing this.

You just have to get in quick to be successful and you have to accept that what's in the bag.

Are they going out of date or just what's left at the end of the day's sales? 

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Good for stopping waste, not so great for the cholesterol...

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

IMG_3524.jpeg.eb9ab626f6cfd45fd61829390936d5c3.jpeg

Keep hearing that the professional jobs market in the UK (particularly concerning science and law) is incredibly over saturated and in the toilet.

Would be nice to not have to spend twelve months, several hundred applications and a considerable amount of dough before finding something. Here''s hoping not.

19 hours ago, Parafox said:

Wife uses this and let me tell you, as someone who is very controlled with food intake/shopping lists it drives me fckin crazy lol 

Really is like a lucky dip at a community tombola and will depend on the day, place etc as you said. I got a FB group on my feed the other week and the entitlement from some people upset at what they got was astonishing tbh.

Agree it's good for stopping food waste and I assume there are others in differing household setups who will make far more use of what you can get than this house of two, definitely worth trying once. ONCE (CC Mrs Footballwipe)

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Keep hearing that the professional jobs market in the UK (particularly concerning science and law) is incredibly over saturated and in the toilet.

Would be nice to not have to spend twelve months, several hundred applications and a considerable amount of dough before finding something. Here''s hoping not.

I think you have to take what you hear with a pinch of salt at times.  My best mate is partner at a large, national law firm and they are struggling with a shortage of qualified solicitors despite actively recruiting.  Can't speak to science jobs but try and stay positive because you might find things aren't quite as negative as you're led to believe.  

Good luck! 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, The Bear said:

Are they going out of date or just what's left at the end of the day's sales? 

What's left at the end of the day, certainly the case with Greggs and the fast food places. I'm not sure about Morrisons or the Co-Op and other supermarkets as they could well be stuff that's at the end of it's shelf life but still in best before/use by date. Never used them so far, so I don't really know. 

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Skilled, quality staff are in demand, however low level.........