Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

1 hour ago, Chiltern Fox said:

Hello - I have a tree near my house which I want removed. Can anyone recommend a tree surgeon?  Preferably through experience.  Thanks. 

Yes. Removed one for me, NW Leics. I'll find the number and send it to you tomorrow. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Why do pubs still exist? 

You're charged more money to buy beer, generally have to battle for a table and it's either too hot/cold/loud.

Yet every week we're still like "fancy a pub trip" 

A good local is a community hub, it will also offer cask or keg beer that you can't get at home. 

I don't know what pubs you're going to but I don't go to loud pubs, plenty of quiet boozers around.

I find I can regulate my temperature with either the addition of removal of a jumper but again I've rarely been to a pub where I'm particularly conscious of the temperature.  

Seriously though, I go for a bit of an escape with no distractions where I can indulge in the dying art of conversation.  I try and avoid pubs with T.V.s or invasive music.  

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

i've just had a vegan chicken burger that tasted better than an actual chicken burger.

No, you had a vegan burger and you preferred the taste of it to chicken.

In a similar way that in my opinion, venison burgers taste better than beef burgers :thumbup:

On 15/10/2023 at 16:09, whoareyaaa said:

i've just had a vegan chicken burger that tasted better than an actual chicken burger.

Huns on Welford Road? If not, you'd love it!

On 16/10/2023 at 22:54, BenTheFox said:

Albania is really beautiful and I would highly recommend it to anyone. 

I was completely surprised at how nice it was when I visited too.

A friend of mine is mourning the loss of his mother.

I'm trying to make him feel better but it's really ****ing difficult and very complex to navigate.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm aware it's not a quick fix but I'd like to understand the process - I've not lost anyone close to me yet.

18 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I'm trying to make him feel better but it's really ****ing difficult and very complex to navigate.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm aware it's not a quick fix but I'd like to understand the process - I've not lost anyone close to me yet.

Only thing I'd say is be there for them. It's a massive thing for them to take in. I lost my mum recently and I felt lost. I wouldn't smother them too much. Check up on them and always let them know you are there, whenever. Trust me, that is the best thing. You won't make him feel better as hard as is it to say. If he's a close friend that you've known him and his mum for a long time, try and remember funny stories, or things that make you smile if you have any. 

It is a lot to process and different people react in different ways. 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

It isn't your role to make him feel better as such.  Let him know how sorry you are for his loss, and that you are there for him, if he wants to talk, or just have a beer etc.  

22 hours ago, Daggers said:

And video tape hire shops, boy I miss them. A movie was an event - no one dicked about with their phone

Phones are banned if we’re watching a movie. 
Wife and kids have to put them in another room. 

💪

• Like 1

10 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I know exactly how your friend feels. The problem is that nobody else can ever replace a son's mother, so no matter how well-meaning others are towards the grieving individual, none of them is that one person they really want back. They just have to accept the new reality, which can take weeks or even months. If it takes too long, then 'complicated grief' may have occurred, in which case therapy can be sought.