Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Or it’s just pretty much shit. 

News has been dumbed down to a Gbeebies level and now they’re slashing the only investigative journalism programme. 

Considering news is a cornerstone of it, it’s been reduced to rubble. 

The licence needs to be optional. 

The alternatives are lean massively left or right though. Dumbed down news is the lesser of two evils compared to news from a biased provider.

17 minutes ago, Lionator said:

What about Joey Barton’s comments, do people agree or disagree? 

I understand his comments but they're not well thought out which is about par for the course.

There has definitely been a shoe-horning of females into the men's game. The debacle of replacing good pundits on Soccer Saturday with a more 'diverse' panel was a very jarring move. It's fine to object to that kind of tokenistic employment practice.

However, his argument that they know nothing about the men's game immediately cancels his objections for very easily argued reasons. 

• Like 4

For what it's worth - I don't object to women's commentary or whatever it may be. But I do think that the pundits have been fast tracked which is leading to them being out of their depth at times which makes the 'no women in the men's game' argument flare up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

I understand his comments but they're not well thought out which is about par for the course.

There has definitely been a shoe-horning of females into the men's game. The debacle of replacing good pundits on Soccer Saturday with a more 'diverse' panel was a very jarring move. It's fine to object to that kind of tokenistic employment practice.

However, his argument that they know nothing about the men's game immediately cancels his objections for very easily argued reasons. 

I agree with this. Joey Barton has made himself look like a complete tit and obviously anyone can talk about football. However the current status quo is too far in favour of the tokenism. For example, if Don Goodman and David Prutton suddenly appeared as pundits on Champions League football everyone would rightly be like WTF... 

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

Joey Barton is a thug, so I´m not really interested in his opinion. I´m not bothered who is chosen to be a pundit or a commentator, as long as they understand the game and are good at what they are expected to do. I don´t like tokenism for the sake of it particularly though, jobs should be filled on merit rather than box ticking.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Joey Barton is a thug, so I´m not really interested in his opinion. I´m not bothered who is chosen to be a pundit or a commentator, as long as they understand the game and are good at what they are expected to do. I don´t like tokenism for the sake of it particularly though, jobs should be filled on merit rather than box ticking.

But this is so much of what the BBC is doing. 

It's not just the BBC though.

And it stands out like a boil on a nose. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Does it feel less Christmassy than usual this year?

Even my folks haven't got their decorations up yet

My recollection from when I was growing up in the 60s/70s, was that most folk including mine, didn't put up their tree and decorations until early/mid December anyway.

The last 20 years or more, its got earlier and earlier for many families. It's not unusual to see Christmas trees in October now.

2 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

My recollection from when I was growing up in the 60s/70s, was that most folk including mine, didn't put up their tree and decorations until early/mid December anyway.

The last 20 years or more, its got earlier and earlier for many families. It's not unusual to see Christmas trees in October now.

It’s broken Britain flouting the 12 days rule lol

• Haha 1

On 09/12/2023 at 12:12, Lionator said:

He is doing the typical shitstirrer thing of turning a nuanced debate into a farce and then probably crying about being cancelled or silenced or whatever crap.

The increased coverage of football has brought about the need for more pundits. 25 years ago, when we had MOTD and a couple of live games a week, no social media etc you needed about 5 pundits then the odd current player or manager to fill in. Now, with infinite matches and space to fill, having the same two or three wouldn't be possible.

Women in football isn't the problem. Some pundits don't offer much, some do like Lucy Ward and Emma Hayes. Some men are great, some aren't. Barton and his like are completely the wrong people to get involved in this subject and sadly it emboldens the mysogynists rather than allow people to put across considered viewpoints.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BKLFox said:

It’s broken Britain flouting the 12 days rule lol

The 12 days rule is after Christmas day. It ends on the 12th night which is the 5th January by which time all Christmas decorations and celebrations should end.

I'm in the Caribbean on holiday just now, and seeing a bit of USA telly.

Their adverts are utterly unhinged.

"Hey punters, we are a Big Pharma co but we are showing you some insanely bad acting and cartoons, to make you forget that this is a BLEDDY ADVERT FOR SODDING MEDICINE.  Now we are telling you it "may assist" with some medical problem (shouldn't that be for a doctor to decide?), before listing all the nasty possible side effect, but in a speeded up voice (mayresultinnauseavomitingrectalbleedinganddeath), so you don't sue us."

Bonkers late stage capitalism.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The word "unhinged" is getting some serious play lately here.

And yeah, the US healthcare system and how it's been so bastardised by money and resultant advertising would be hilarious if it didn't have such occasionally tragic results.

Apologies if my making light of it was out of place.

i was trying to make the point that the very idea that medicines need to compete in an advertising market (rather than be chosen by trained experts due to their efficacy) can't be good for patients.

1 minute ago, Vacamion said:

Apologies if my making light of it was out of place.

i was trying to make the point that the very idea that medicines need to compete in an advertising market (rather than be chosen by trained experts due to their efficacy) can't be good for patients.

Nah, not at all out of place :) Sometimes the comedy of it is very dark, but it is pretty ridiculous all round.

And yes, the whole idea of medicines being subject to the highest bidder/best advertiser when it's a matter of human health and life is utterly absurd.

There are over 16,000 starbucks coffee shops in the United states and over 9,000 Dunkin donuts coffee shops. Baring in mind there is around 19,000 Cities, towns and villages with over 14,000 of them having a population of less than 5,000 people..

:)

Edited by MPH

Joey Barton doesn't get punditry jobs and management jobs because he's shit at them. It's exactly the meritocracy he's calling for. 

Joey's just realised that on top of all the enormous privileges you get from being a middle aged white man, if he leans hard enough in to modern culture war politics he ALSO gets to pretend he's persecuted so he can, completely ironically, use his own RaCe CaRd. 

He was always a thick cvnt that thick cvnts were impressed with because he googled some A Level philosophy quotes like a walking r/im14andthisideep meme but at least now he's had the good grace to go completely mask off nobody has to pretend anymore.

Using a cute video of your kids to peddle racism on the internet takes a certain level of absolute screaming willy puller mind. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Joey Barton doesn't get punditry jobs and management jobs because he's shit at them. It's exactly the meritocracy he's calling for. 

Joey's just realised that on top of all the enormous privileges you get from being a middle aged white man, if he leans hard enough in to modern culture war politics he ALSO gets to pretend he's not persecuted so he can, completely ironically, use his own RaCe CaRd. 

He was always a thick cvnt that thick cvnts were impressed with because he googled some A Level philosophy quotes like a walking r/im14andthisideep meme but at least now he's had the good grace to go completely mask off nobody has to pretend anymore.

Using a cute video of your kids to peddle racism on the internet takes a certain level of absolute screaming willy puller mind. 

I don't have the desire or patience to be articulate about him. I just want him gone from my screens lol

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 13:58, Tommy G said:

Was at the in laws last night, my father in law (70) has bought a hand held massager off temu - he gets a lot of aches and pains when playing golf so wanted something portable to stick in his golf bag in case his wrist starts playing up. 

He was really proud and got it out “it’s got 8 speeds and you can recharge it using a USB” 

Turns out he’s bought a sex toy by mistake, he genuinely has been using this on and off for about a year. 

68c6ed97-90e3-4ff3-93f9-f44879f2b915.jpeg

Warrants its own thread imo

• Haha 1