Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Almost every Amazon delivery van I see has damage to one or more body panels. I can kind of see that it happens as drivers are rushed, inexperienced, delivering to some fairly difficult places to access etc. But yesterday I saw a van that had the panel above the windscreen entirely dented in. I can only imagine it's been driven under some height restricting barrier.

I wonder if there's any sanctions for drivers that cause damage?

Maybe @tom27111 might know.

You get paid 2 weeks in arrears so they can deduct the cost of any major damage to the van.

Never had any trouble myself. Most of the vans are absolutely battered.

• Thanks 1

What's with the media obsession with Taylor Swift for example on the BBC Breakfast news we had strap lines re deaths in Ukraine, Gaza, the floods in Switzerland the heatwave in the USA the NHS where people are dying in corridors and stuck in the middle Taylor Swift gets a Royal selfie WTF why is that newsworthy yet she's on every news report.

If the want to add some proper good news I sure there's plenty of deserving things happening.

• Like 3

Fed up with 'Albert Einstein ' in ads on TV and even appearing here on FT, telling us about the virtues of a smart meter.

We have one. We have one that doesn't work properly. If that isn't annoying enough, British Gas are doing sod all to remedy the situation, despite many contacts on said issue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Fed up with 'Albert Einstein ' in ads on TV and even appearing here on FT, telling us about the virtues of a smart meter.

We have one. We have one that doesn't work properly. If that isn't annoying enough, British Gas are doing sod all to remedy the situation, despite many contacts on said issue.

I can't get a smart meter installed because my old style gas meter is in an awkward place apparently. 

That hasn't stopped every energy supplier I've ever been with bombard me with emails, texts and phone calls about getting one fitted. No matter how many times I tell them it can't be done and they "take me off their system", the messages continue relentlessly, usually at least one a week.

Edited by The Bear

30 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

British Gas are a nightmare.  Been trying to obtain a final bill (that shows our payments) since beginning of April.  Two emails and two phone calls later we are still waiting. 😡

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Einstein got loads of stuff wrong, including on the existence of gravitional waves and black holes, and even on the expansion of the universe. He also wasn't keen on having his papers peer reviewed, in case flaws were found in his work! Imo, he marketted himself as a genius, hoping that we'd forget about all the other great physicists around at the same time, including Werner Heisenberg, Erwin Schrodinger, Enrico Fermi, Niels Bohr and Paul Dirac.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, String fellow said:

! Imo, he marketted himself as a genius, hoping that we'd forget about all the other great physicists around at the same time, including Werner Heisenberg, Erwin Schrodinger, Enrico Fermi, Niels Bohr and Paul Dirac.

Haha, wtf? 

Sorry that’s enough internet for today. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, String fellow said:

Einstein got loads of stuff wrong, including on the existence of gravitional waves and black holes, and even on the expansion of the universe. He also wasn't keen on having his papers peer reviewed, in case flaws were found in his work! Imo, he marketted himself as a genius, hoping that we'd forget about all the other great physicists around at the same time, including Werner Heisenberg, Erwin Schrodinger, Enrico Fermi, Niels Bohr and Paul Dirac.

To paraphrase Heisenberg, I’m not sure about this.

5 hours ago, Daggers said:

To paraphrase Heisenberg, I’m not sure about this.

Very appropriate! If you look at the famous 1927 Solvay Congress group photo, guess who's sitting right at the centre of the front row? Yep - the man with the biggest ego, Einstein. Imo, Paul Dirac (standing behind his right shoulder in that photo) should be as famous as Einstein, and this article seems to agree. But the Englishman was socially awkward and that probably didn't help with his public persona.

https://www.fsu.edu/news/2009/09/16/strangest.man/ 

On 24/06/2024 at 09:17, davieG said:

What's with the media obsession with Taylor Swift for example on the BBC Breakfast news we had strap lines re deaths in Ukraine, Gaza, the floods in Switzerland the heatwave in the USA the NHS where people are dying in corridors and stuck in the middle Taylor Swift gets a Royal selfie WTF why is that newsworthy yet she's on every news report.

If the want to add some proper good news I sure there's plenty of deserving things happening.

It is very annoying, every time I look at some form of news I see her (not her fault of course), but she's the biggest popstar in the World so bound to take all the limelight. 

Of course she isn't more important than those issues you've mentioned but neither are a lot of things on the news. 

Just now, Corky said:

Why do men wear club football shirts just for walking around towns and cities in June?

I do sometimes but non English and never on their own, always with some kind of  light jacket.

Problem with English shirts is you're usually a walking advert for a betting company. 

Assange to be free today.

What a terrible 10-15 years it has been for the man who just showed us the lies and horrors of corrupt US governments and the dirty tricks they play.

• Like 1

As someone who suffers with chromic insomnia, I recently learnt that sleep patterns can be improved by aligning the bed north-south and sleeping with one's head at the southern end. This is because the human head is its north pole and the feet are its south pole, and so with opposite poles attracting, the body is in its most natural alignment with the world in that position. And there's more!

According to the 17th. century poet Robert Herrick, you're more likely to sire male offspring in a bed that's aligned north-south. In his great poet work 'Hesperides' of 1648, this was his Observation:

Who to the North, or South, doth set

His Bed, Male children shall beget. 

51 minutes ago, String fellow said:

As someone who suffers with chromic insomnia, I recently learnt that sleep patterns can be improved by aligning the bed north-south and sleeping with one's head at the southern end. This is because the human head is its north pole and the feet are its south pole, and so with opposite poles attracting, the body is in its most natural alignment with the world in that position. And there's more!

According to the 17th. century poet Robert Herrick, you're more likely to sire male offspring in a bed that's aligned north-south. In his great poet work 'Hesperides' of 1648, this was his Observation:

Who to the North, or South, doth set

His Bed, Male children shall beget. 

I have some very reasonably priced magic beans for sale if you're interested? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

National speed limit does anyone think this will change to 80mph in the next couple of years?

Nope.

People who want to drive at 80 do it now anyway. The counter would be that it would introduce additional risk to driving for all road users and increase emissions so why formally increase it? 

16 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Assange to be free today.

What a terrible 10-15 years it has been for the man who just showed us the lies and horrors of corrupt US governments and the dirty tricks they play.

At the behest of the Russian govt who are know for their morally robust behaviour.  The man is a fool.

10 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

At the behest of the Russian govt who are know for their morally robust behaviour.  The man is a fool.

The information that his organisation uncovered that shone a light on how a key ally actually behaves in a warzone was of value, though.

One of the key things that separates us from the "bad guys" is openness and transparency in matters of public service. Even the nasty stuff.

• Like 2

On 24/06/2024 at 11:07, Torquay Gunner said:

British Gas are a nightmare.  Been trying to obtain a final bill (that shows our payments) since beginning of April.  Two emails and two phone calls later we are still waiting. 😡

have smart readers but one time i sent an incorrect manual reading to Octopus and since then they dont take smart readings at all, just wait for me to send a manual reading at the beginning of each month and then send the bill to my online account 2 minutes later:revenge:

Just seen videos and pictures of a child finishing pre-school.

They've got a cap and gown on, they get a certificate, there's an audience of parents and pictures against a back drop saying 'pre school leavers'. 

I mean really, is this what we're doing now?

5 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Just seen videos and pictures of a child finishing pre-school.

They've got a cap and gown on, they get a certificate, there's an audience of parents and pictures against a back drop saying 'pre school leavers'. 

I mean really, is this what we're doing now?

Unless you have a child moving from pre-school to school why do you care?  We had one in the UK, it wasn't compulsory but my son loved it and it was fun.