Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

4 hours ago, Parafox said:

It's a bit daft, but me and Mrs Para have started playing a new game whilst out and about. We call it "Guess The Amazon Van Panel".

It's simple, whenever we spot an Amazon van we have to guess which body panel has been dented, scratched or has a missing bit of trim.

1 point per correct guess and we never fail to get at least 1 point per van.

It get's a bit more complicated when there's more than one panel damaged. Does a scrape along the length of the van count as 1, 2 or 3 panels? Should the doors score extra as they're not a fixed panel? 

Thoughts?

@tom27111 is your man for this. He can give you the official Amazon damage scoring/penalty scale. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wycombe Fox said:

RIP Kenneth Cope (Deceased).

I wonder if he'll come back dressed in a white suit?

19523_1_large.jpg

I can never decide if he... or John Travolta, subconciously led to me wearing a white suit for my wedding lol 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Leicester are through to the British Speedway Premiership final.

To my knowledge the Lions have never won a top flight title. 

The sport is dying on its arse but would be great if we won it. 

Coincidentally, I was wondering just the other day, if Leicester speedway was still going.

Clearly it is. :thumbup:

I used to go back in the days of Boulger and the like. We were pretty good then.

• Like 1

Am I the only person seeing clothing adverts pop up on Facebook which are for the same item but under different trading names (generally with ‘London’ in the title) 

clearly these must be a scam of some kind - it’s not difficult to spot the same photo on each different advert.

Facebook systems must be able to see this ?   Only assumption is that they don’t care cos they’re earning money 

surely this is where trading standards should become involved via govt legislation ?

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Am I the only person seeing clothing adverts pop up on Facebook which are for the same item but under different trading names (generally with ‘London’ in the title) 

clearly these must be a scam of some kind - it’s not difficult to spot the same photo on each different advert.

Facebook systems must be able to see this ?   Only assumption is that they don’t care cos they’re earning money 

surely this is where trading standards should become involved via govt legislation ?

Am I the only person mystified by seeing ads on eBay for circulated 20p coins dated 1982, being described as rare and fetching £500+? The photos appear to show ordinary 20p coins from 1982, the first year of circulation (hence the claim to be rare), but which are extremely common and worth precisely 20p. In fact, more were minted that year than in any subsequent year, and my jar of loose change contains at least four.   

6 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Am I the only person mystified by seeing ads on eBay for circulated 20p coins dated 1982, being described as rare and fetching £500+? The photos appear to show ordinary 20p coins from 1982, the first year of circulation (hence the claim to be rare), but which are extremely common and worth precisely 20p. In fact, more were minted that year than in any subsequent year, and my jar of loose change contains at least four.   

Another probable scam where value is created by linked accounts doing inflated deals in the hope that someone will be drawn into paying an outrageous amount for a common item thinking they are getting a great deal.

• Like 1

I used to walk or bike miles as a kid to find conkers. I now have 5 (2 large) Horse Chestnut trees in my garden but no one is interested, I’ve offered the local kids access to the garden (the parents obviously, I’m not a weirdo) and my own family members kids. No interest whatsoever 😟

Trees are full of conkers this year too. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, jgtuk said:

I used to walk or bike miles as a kid to find conkers. I now have 5 (2 large) Horse Chestnut trees in my garden but no one is interested, I’ve offered the local kids access to the garden (the parents obviously, I’m not a weirdo) and my own family members kids. No interest whatsoever 😟

Trees are full of conkers this year too. 

I was thinking the same the other day, we have loads in the park but modern day kids just are not interested.  Dont see kids playing footy in the park also....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

I love cold prawns with salad and sauce but I don't dare eat a warm one, weird.

I usually only like cold cocktail prawns, the small ones. But I tried a starter at an Indian the other week which was Honey & Garlic King Prawns and it was the best prawn dish I've ever had. 

On 11/09/2024 at 09:51, Footballwipe said:

It really is. An absolute staple and keep the joyous part of football going from the rubbish that it can be otherwise (Quickly Kevin also helped with that). Typical that it was in limbo this time last year when the Athletic (whose main podcast, ironically, became trash) dumped it off before Goalhanger picked it up.

Really need to get to one of their live shows one day.

Why we won't have a sports/podcasts thread baffles me. So many good podcasts out their to recommend and talk about lol 

Agreed that Cliches is phenomenal, think it must be the only podcast I've listened to every episode of for 4+ years without missing an episode or getting bored. The listener's Mesut Haaland Dicks episodes can get a bit tiresome listening to breathy wet mouthed voice notes but they're very rare and still perfectly fine. Feel like it's really come into its own the past 18 months or so once they realised Eccleshare / Walker is the best balance with Miller as backup.

---------

On the Quickly Kevin note, really struggling with this 00s job Scull is doing. Good guests so far in Kev Phillips and Paul "Jewelleh, Paul Jewell" Jewell – but it's really missing Marden as a chipper-inner, new producer not a patch on him, and Alex Brooker is very likeable but doesn't really open up conversation like Josh Widdecombe did on QK. So far they really seem to be hanging their hat on the "remember Dream Team! How good was Dream Team! 2003 what an era!" schtick. Scull seems a good bloke but has always just been someone who seems to piggy back on jokes so having him driving it just makes it a bit bland. Might get better with more guests

10 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Agreed that Cliches is phenomenal, think it must be the only podcast I've listened to every episode of for 4+ years without missing an episode or getting bored. The listener's Mesut Haaland Dicks episodes can get a bit tiresome listening to breathy wet mouthed voice notes but they're very rare and still perfectly fine. Feel like it's really come into its own the past 18 months or so once they realised Eccleshare / Walker is the best balance with Miller as backup.

---------

On the Quickly Kevin note, really struggling with this 00s job Scull is doing. Good guests so far in Kev Phillips and Paul "Jewelleh, Paul Jewell" Jewell – but it's really missing Marden as a chipper-inner, new producer not a patch on him, and Alex Brooker is very likeable but doesn't really open up conversation like Josh Widdecombe did on QK. So far they really seem to be hanging their hat on the "remember Dream Team! How good was Dream Team! 2003 what an era!" schtick. Scull seems a good bloke but has always just been someone who seems to piggy back on jokes so having him driving it just makes it a bit bland. Might get better with more guests

On Cliches - I agree about MHD - I'm also glad they've got fewer guests on for the special MHD episodes. There were some MHDs that were quite tiresome as you'd get the most mundane loves and hates of football ("My first love of football is football itself," types) Listener ones are mixed, can usually tell by the episode length how good they are. 

Other than them settling on a core crew, I like their quizzes too. Also made me find the Career We Go podcast too which is a fine listen (although their between-round stings are so irritating).

Also agree about Be Having You. It lacks the chemistry or energy or nicheness of QK, and maybe the genuine love of 90s football that the previous trio had. I've only just started listening to Jewell one, but the Kevin Phillips one I found to be a bit dull. Maybe because he's still "in the game" so to speak - so not quite as open and ready to offload great/funny anecdotes. It also focused a lot on the 90s!!! They need feature stings and more correspondence, the Steve Ogrizovic stuff was exactly the type of thing we need from listeners.

• Like 1

If a parent tells you about how their child was the star pupil of the week in their class, ask them how many children are in their class and say 'Hmmm, 27 kids divided by 34 weeks of term...isn't every kid going to be best pupil of the week eventually?'

Follow this up by proudly patting yourself on the back safe in the knowledge that you've needlessly put a bummer on someone's day.