Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

10 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Are the club messing around with the stadium lights to work on the pitch again? The sky in the city is insane atm. Intense light pollution. Looks like dawn. 

I'm sure around this time of year they get the on-pitch UV lights out don't they? Less natural sunlight for the grass in the day so they give it a blast in the evenings?

18 hours ago, FerrisBueller said:

Got properly pissed on Saturday for the first time in a few years, had given up drinking about two years ago. Horrible. Still in absolute bits two days later, I have not missed the all consuming dread that comes the day after, not helped by videos from my girlfriend of me believing I was now fluent in Danish when pissed (I’m not). How do people do this regularly? Genuinely don’t think I will drink again.

I used to get this in my pro drinking days. Properly shite. Basically go and do something normal/fun to break the spiral.

I’ve found a sweet spot these days where I never get properly Billy Buntered. Last time I was off my face, I fully shat myself.

Aside from the anxiety/comedown, I can’t handle the hangovers. I always wondered why my hangovers seemed worse than everybody else’s; turns out heavy drinking basically triggers unbearable sinus pain - I actually think it’s a sort of allergy to alcohol.

These days, I’ll only have like 4-5 drinks in a session, unless it’s an all-day type thing, in which case it’s fine if you space out drinks with food and non-alcoholic drinks (the French method). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Saxondale said:

I used to get this in my pro drinking days. Properly shite. Basically go and do something normal/fun to break the spiral.

I’ve found a sweet spot these days where I never get properly Billy Buntered. Last time I was off my face, I fully shat myself.

Aside from the anxiety/comedown, I can’t handle the hangovers. I always wondered why my hangovers seemed worse than everybody else’s; turns out heavy drinking basically triggers unbearable sinus pain - I actually think it’s a sort of allergy to alcohol.

These days, I’ll only have like 4-5 drinks in a session, unless it’s an all-day type thing, in which case it’s fine if you space out drinks with food and non-alcoholic drinks (the French method). 

Me and luckily one of my mates get the sinus hangovers,I say luckily as we sometimes both get them whilst still drinking, and have each other’s back when we stop.

Don’t always get them.

Newsnight just had the most weirdly obsessed man on to talk about 3D printed, vegan 'meat' being a disgrace to the culinary arts.  His argument could ultimately be boiled down to "but it's not real meat and this new technology scares me".  Very weird to listen to. 

• Like 2

On 17/11/2021 at 04:54, cambridgefox said:

Me and luckily one of my mates get the sinus hangovers,I say luckily as we sometimes both get them whilst still drinking, and have each other’s back when we stop.

Don’t always get them.

Get yourself a Beconase sinus spray, a couple of pumps either before you start drinking or when it kicks in and you are good to go.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I'm not sure why what she said is so bad.  Why are some women born into 'male' bodies and vice versa?

She wasn't actually responding to a transgender question and she actually said i don't know why some people are women and some people are men, not born into the opposite sex bodies.

19 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I'm not sure why what she said is so bad.  Why are some women born into 'male' bodies and vice versa?

For me it was the use of the word "liar" that caught my attention. It's biological fact that one's sex (not sexuality) is determined by the genetic process of an egg being fertilised by male sperm. The resulting sex of the foetus is a result of the combination of the chromosomes from both parents. XX, or XY.

What happens after that is unpredictable and I guess that is her point. Having re-watched the clip maybe "idiot" was too strong given that she actually has a valid point with regard to how an individual develops. Unfortunately it's a 10 second clip that gives no real insight into her intelligence or wider knowledge.

4 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

She wasn't actually responding to a transgender question and she actually said i don't know why some people are women and some people are men, not born into the opposite sex bodies.

This is what triggered me to contribute. Basic biology that she must have learnt in school.

I attended a transgender seminar this week (being as it’s transgender awareness week)! 

One of the panelists often referred to her ‘birth defect’. This being her biological meat and two veg. 

I initially thought it was an odd way to frame it, but after listening to her for a while it became obvious why she thought and spoke like that. 

All the panelists were great - really interesting and informative. They were also funny and brave. 

(There was a section about chromosomes that I didn’t get - I would have paid more attention if I’d have known it could’ve enlightened the FT community) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Do you have the the full context?  My assumption is they're talking about gender, but I could be wrong.

On 16/11/2021 at 09:28, Saxondale said:

Enjoyed that. I don't imagine you can say the same lol

I agree about drinking though, I probably have a beer or a glass of wine 4/5 nights a week these days but it's rare I get properly drunk. Most of the time it's not worth it. I only realised the last time I was badly hungover how much of an effect it had on my emotional state, particularly in terms of anxiety, when I wrote some stuff down in my notepad that evening, and came back it to the day after. 

13 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Do you have the the full context?  My assumption is they're talking about gender, but I could be wrong.

It was also my assumption. I have no context beyond that five second clip. 

If she's talking about biological sex she's obviously an idiot but I'm pretty skeptical? 

If she's talking about gender then the idiots are elsewhere in the scenario... 

• Like 1

“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.”

Terry Pratchett nailing socioeconomic commentary.

• Like 4