Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

Feeling annoyed today for two reasons.

Firstly, I had a twice-as-large-as-usual energy bill, caused by an error by my supplier. In November, I had smart meters fitted, but the fitter failed to read the old meters' readings correctly prior to replacing them. So the supplier estimated the figures and grossly over-estimated them. Unfortunately, the correct readings may now be lost, so I could end up paying for gas and electricity that was simply never consumed.

Secondly, on Saturday, I spotted a very good copy of 'Of Fossils and Foxes' at Kibworth Antiques Centre, but didn't have the cash on me to buy it (as a Chistmas present for my sister). So I went back early on Sunday to get it, but it had been sold. Really frustrated, I decided to buy the latest edition from Amazon. It came today, but the internal wrapping messed up the front upper and lower edges of the cover, so it's not really suitable to give as a present. The previous book I got from Amazon, totally unrelated to football, also had similar damage. Maybe they need to improve the packaging of such items. 

37 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Firstly, I had a twice-as-large-as-usual energy bill, caused by an error by my supplier. In November, I had smart meters fitted, but the fitter failed to read the old meters' readings correctly prior to replacing them. So the supplier estimated the figures and grossly over-estimated them. Unfortunately, the correct readings may now be lost, so I could end up paying for gas and electricity that was simply never consumed.

Secondly, on Saturday, I spotted a very good copy of 'Of Fossils and Foxes' at Kibworth Antiques Centre, but didn't have the cash on me to buy it (as a Chistmas present for my sister). So I went back early on Sunday to get it, but it had been sold. Really frustrated, I decided to buy the latest edition from Amazon. It came today, but the internal wrapping messed up the front upper and lower edges of the cover, so it's not really suitable to give as a present. The previous book I got from Amazon, totally unrelated to football, also had similar damage. Maybe they need to improve the packaging of such items. 

If it's fairly obvious that the readings when the meters were exchanged have been over estimated your supplier should change them for you, at least to a better estimate if the actual readings are lost. You may need to go through the complaints process to get it done, and it probably won't be quick, but they should be changed if the error is clear. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, String fellow said:

They were selling OFAF in HMV for £14 a couple of days ago.

• Like 1

Tbh, today's two annoyances just feel symptomatic of a more general feeling that almost everything I do, no matter how well-intentioned, seems to go tits-up. Btw, let me add that Kibworth Antiques Centre is a great place to go for anyone needing a bit of retail therapy and who, of course, likes antiques.

50 minutes ago, String fellow said:

As FoxesDeb said, go back to your supplier. They'll know when your meter was changed and should see a far higher than usual consumption for the previous period when compared to your average over the years.

If no joy, complain and if still no joy, go to Ofgem.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/making-complaint-about-your-energy-supplier-or-network-operator

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TiffToff88 said:

I've never understood the phrase "I told him to bollocks"

It implies that "to bollocks" is a verb. How does a person "bollocks"?

It's not really using it as a verb. Similar to  telling someone to "get to fvck". In this case to bollock off, get lost, fvck that, or no way in simpler terms. 

It doesn't make much literal sense I know, but I get the gist. 

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

It's not really using it as a verb. Similar to  telling someone to "get to fvck". In this case to bollock off, get lost, fvck that, or no way in simpler terms. 

It doesn't make much literal sense I know, but I get the gist. 

Well that's not made it much clearer for me

Edited by TiffToff88

Getting Fofana and Justin back on the pitch will not solve our defensive issues.

It will take weeks/months before they're even up to speed and even longer, probably never before they're back to what they were.

Too much expectation for a couple of young players.

We have witnessed this with Ricardo.

• Like 1

The amount of glass on the path/ bike path is ridiculous at the minute. I take my lad to school in the morning and we bike it and every morning there is more and more. Think it may have been last week there was 3 bus stops that had been smashed up and glass everywhere , people just being arseholes 

18 minutes ago, Langston said:

I don't know if anybody listens to the Tifo podcast but it's borderline unlistenable now it feels as if Joe Devine is using it as a vehicle for himself.

Can you elaborate on this? I listen to a lot of poddys, so this ultimately gets relegated to my "fall asleep" podcast at night and never usually listen to the whole thing. Genuinely interested though in your thoughts. I first got into them with their great 6-7 minute videos, but they do loads more "IRL" stuff now and I just don't watch those ones.

However, I have seen the occasional "skits" on the end of short videos, which do feature Devine heavily. I just assumed it was that he was genuinely popular with the core Tifo audience!

Has it been since they shifted to the Athletic that this shift towards IRL/Devine has happened?

10 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Can you elaborate on this? I listen to a lot of poddys, so this ultimately gets relegated to my "fall asleep" podcast at night and never usually listen to the whole thing. Genuinely interested though in your thoughts. I first got into them with their great 6-7 minute videos, but they do loads more "IRL" stuff now and I just don't watch those ones.

However, I have seen the occasional "skits" on the end of short videos, which do feature Devine heavily. I just assumed it was that he was genuinely popular with the core Tifo audience!

Has it been since they shifted to the Athletic that this shift towards IRL/Devine has happened?

Not sure on the history of the pod, mate - he used to be broadly fine (and I think he is pretty popular, I daresay I'm in the minority) but it's been very noticeable recently that there's a sort of enforced "hapless" humour that creeps in quite often. Some people might bloody love it but it irritates me to an irrational extent.

I've got an interview for a new job (with the NHS) on 4th Jan.

I've been in my current job (civil service) for 15 years.

Such mixed emotions. I literally hate my current job now - the work, the fact that we have been pummled with cut-backs and our office has gone from 52 people to 14 people in the space of 4 years and yet the work has increased. It's chatoic, stressful, relentless - we get screwed by Government 'reform' daily, over the last 5 years in particular its started affecting my mental health. Jobs are at risk as part of the reform over the next two years and most are likely to be redistributed to a fecking call centre.

However, in 15 years I've made some great relationships. I WILL be VERY sad to say bye to the people (if I get the job of course), and I will feel very sorry for probably leaving them in even more sh*t if I do go. The thought of starting from scratch as the newbie is frankly horrific. There's also that 'out of the frying pan into the fire element' where it could turn out by taking a new job I've massively made things worse for myself.

Sh*itting it to be honest.

1 hour ago, SecretPro said:

I've got an interview for a new job (with the NHS) on 4th Jan.

I've been in my current job (civil service) for 15 years.

Such mixed emotions. I literally hate my current job now - the work, the fact that we have been pummled with cut-backs and our office has gone from 52 people to 14 people in the space of 4 years and yet the work has increased. It's chatoic, stressful, relentless - we get screwed by Government 'reform' daily, over the last 5 years in particular its started affecting my mental health. Jobs are at risk as part of the reform over the next two years and most are likely to be redistributed to a fecking call centre.

However, in 15 years I've made some great relationships. I WILL be VERY sad to say bye to the people (if I get the job of course), and I will feel very sorry for probably leaving them in even more sh*t if I do go. The thought of starting from scratch as the newbie is frankly horrific. There's also that 'out of the frying pan into the fire element' where it could turn out by taking a new job I've massively made things worse for myself.

Sh*itting it to be honest.

Good luck with your new job. Changing jobs can be incredibly stressful. However, that stress is usually only temporary and may be more acceptable than putting up with the longer-term stress as a result of staying put. When I finally left the rat race, I realised that the 'friends' I had a work were, in fact, nothing more than friendly colleagues.        

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

I always feel for those that work in retail this time of year. Hearing the same Christmas songs over and over again, especially the knock off covers. 

I worked in Retail for nearly 20 years and a store manager for most of them. I hated having to play Christmas music every year from the start of November, so did the staff, and most customers were fed up with it too.

I ended up binning it off and just playing normal music instead which the staff appreciated. It was only if I knew I was getting a visit from the senior managers that I played again.

• Like 2