Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

I worked in Retail for nearly 20 years and a store manager for most of them. I hated having to play Christmas music every year from the start of November, so did the staff, and most customers were fed up with it too.

I ended up binning it off and just playing normal music instead which the staff appreciated. It was only if I knew I was getting a visit from the senior managers that I played again.

The shop I volunteer in has awful Christmas songs piped via an ISDN line as they can't play copyrighted stuff. None of the songs are anything anyone will have heard, ever and they repeat over and over on a 30 minute loop. It's driving me MAAAAD!

I love football and rugby but I acknowledge that football banter massively trumps rugby banter.

However, any rugby stories from retired players in clips or podcasts (eg, Haskell, etc) absolutely shits all over the equivalent football one.

Not sure if thats coincidence of if its because you have people like Haskell, Horgan and Tindall on the rugby ones but crap like Sidwell and Jonathan Walters on the football ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

I love football and rugby but I acknowledge that football banter massively trumps rugby banter.

However, any rugby stories from retired players in clips or podcasts (eg, Haskell, etc) absolutely shits all over the equivalent football one.

Not sure if thats coincidence of if its because you have people like Haskell, Horgan and Tindall on the rugby ones but crap like Sidwell and Jonathan Walters on the football ones.

I suspect a lot of the football anecdotes are not suitable for public airing. Plus, the rugby players are all about the baaaaaaanter.

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

I'm not a huge Rugby fan but recently stumbled on a series called 'Jersey tales' on the RFU website. I particularly liked the episodes with Nigel Owen, Haskell and Will Carling. I've seen some footballers do the equivalent and they've been crap in comparisson.

It's a broad brush generalization here, but I reckon the reason the Rugby ones are better is that the players are just smarter, more intelligent, and better communicators tbh.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

I'm not a huge Rugby fan but recently stumbled on a series called 'Jersey tales' on the RFU website. I particularly liked the episodes with Nigel Owen, Haskell and Will Carling. I've seen some footballers do the equivalent and they've been crap in comparisson.

It's a broad brush generalization here, but I reckon the reason the Rugby ones are better is that the players are just smarter, more intelligent, and better communicators tbh.

That could be part of it.

The most boring group of sportspeople are Team GB. I crossed paths with a few in an old job and calling them dry (not dry humoured) doesnt even cut it.

They have absolutely shit banter too, when Bradley Wiggins stuck his tongue out at the national anthem and his 20-something team mates and the ex team GB BBC team went into rip roaring laughter at something most of us would barely raise a polite smile to it didnt surprise me one bit the dull cvnts.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Nalis said:

In the stands, probably true but, as a pitch-side para I've sat next to the players on the bench at various matches and the banter between the home and opposition is often hilarious. Unlike football, many rugby grounds tend to have both benches in quite close proximity and they exchange bants, all well-meaning and respectful but funny to hear.

44 minutes ago, Manini said:

Anyone else find that the most dangerous form of home drinking is the waiting for your mrs to get ready session. Just sat here nailing bottles of Amstel like they’re going out of fashion.

I got a text from a mate who said he’d been sat at home, staring at the walls and bored out of his brain for the last 10 days.

I said “Ah, I see. You must be self isolating because of Covid yeah?”

He said “No, I’m just waiting for the Mrs to get ready”

Just now, Izzy said:

I got a text from a mate who said he’d been sat at home, staring at the walls and bored out of his brain for the last 10 days.

Keep that shit to the joke thread, Izzy, we know to steer clear there lol

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Had to read this twice before I realised it was a joke, it’s just accurate lol 

• Haha 1

Random comment find. Perhaps belongs in the Sci thread but in any case:

"I think the thing that some of y'all don't like about it that you don't really want to address directly is that you find the idea inherently unbelievable of a galaxy-spanning culture that isn't as good at violence as we planet-bound humans are, because *you inescapably associate technological advancement of a species' power with advancement of their capacity to intentionally inflict violence on each other*. The capacity for violence and the nobility of restraint in its application is just so tightly bound up in your narrative of what it means to be powerful that it ruins your suspension of disbelief to be asked to question it."

10 minutes ago, Livid said:

I’m considering muting #lcfc on Twitter I can tolerate the different  opinions on football etc,  but over the last couple of years on Politics/Covid a lot seem to have totally lost it and gone absolutely batsh*t crazy :S

I agree, but the problem is it crops up absolutely everywhere.

I've come off Twitter altogether.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Livid said:

I’m considering muting #lcfc on Twitter I can tolerate the different  opinions on football etc,  but over the last couple of years on Politics/Covid a lot seem to have totally lost it and gone absolutely batsh*t crazy :S

that's all it is really a platform for people to voice their opinions, it is shit I agree