Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

8 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

I did not realise there was an outlier piece of Russia between Poland and Lithuania, today really is a school day

Poland political map

I was vaguely aware of Kaliningrad, but not of its history and you provoked my curiosity....

It seems to have spent centuries, under different names, as part of both Prussia and Poland. It then only became part of the USSR as part of the post-WW2 settlement. It is an "exclave" (there, I've learned a new word today - though I'll probably forget it!). But it wasn't an exclave until the 1990s because neighbouring Lithuania was also part of the USSR until then. It's also Russia's only Baltic port that is ice-free all-year round, hence it's attraction - it's home to the Russian Baltic fleet.

Funny enough, I was just reading about another exclave in the last couple of days: Cabinda, an exclave of Angola that is divided from the rest of Angola by some land belonging to DR Congo. I was just reading about it in Paul Theroux's travel book "Last train to Zona Verde". Historically, like the rest of Angola, Cabinda was colonised by Portugal. Apparently Cabinda is now massively oil-rich with enormous off-shore oilfields, providing the vast majority of Angola's wealth....while most of the population of both Cabinda and Angola live in extreme poverty (all the petrodollars grabbed by corrupt local autocrats and by the oil companies).

Funny - and interesting - old world, innit?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

I was vaguely aware of Kaliningrad, but not of its history and you provoked my curiosity....

It seems to have spent centuries, under different names, as part of both Prussia and Poland. It then only became part of the USSR as part of the post-WW2 settlement. It is an "exclave" (there, I've learned a new word today - though I'll probably forget it!). But it wasn't an exclave until the 1990s because neighbouring Lithuania was also part of the USSR until then. It's also Russia's only Baltic port that is ice-free all-year round, hence it's attraction - it's home to the Russian Baltic fleet.

Funny enough, I was just reading about another exclave in the last couple of days: Cabinda, an exclave of Angola that is divided from the rest of Angola by some land belonging to DR Congo. I was just reading about it in Paul Theroux's travel book "Last train to Zona Verde". Historically, like the rest of Angola, Cabinda was colonised by Portugal. Apparently Cabinda is now massively oil-rich with enormous off-shore oilfields, providing the vast majority of Angola's wealth....while most of the population of both Cabinda and Angola live in extreme poverty (all the petrodollars grabbed by corrupt local autocrats and by the oil companies).

I think this is one reason why the British Army quickly liberated Denmark at end of WW2 to ensure Soviets did not dominate Baltic. They did occupy Bornholm (Danish Island for a while)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Strictly speaking, it's a 'semi-exclave' because it has a coastline. Alaska is also a semi-exclave. An 'exclave' is a territory geographically separate from its motherland, without any coastline and entirely surrounded by one or more other countries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 08/02/2022 at 07:39, Dahnsouff said:

I did not realise there was an outlier piece of Russia between Poland and Lithuania, today really is a school day

Poland political map

I work with someone who lived on that border between Poland and Russia, in fact the border cut right across his property.

When they were putting up the border fence, they actually gave him a choice which country he wished to be in.

He said Poland because he didn't fancy the Russian winter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I work with someone who lived on that border between Poland and Russia, in fact the border cut right across his property.

When they were putting up the border fence, they actually gave him a choice which country he wished to be in.

He said Poland because he didn't fancy the Russian winter.

Thanks, that is the sort of thing you don’t normally hear!  :D

57 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Why are your favourite songs so much better when they come up on the radio opposed to just getting them up on Spotify (especially if they’re quite obscure)? It’s almost like a reward through sitting through the dross. 

Agree.

On a similar theme; I've stayed up very late to watch a film on TV I've seen before, even many times before, despite the added fact I've also got the DVD and/or can stream it whenever I like.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Agree.

On a similar theme; I've stayed up very late to watch a film on TV I've seen before, even many times before, despite the added fact I've also got the DVD and/or can stream it whenever I like.

Almost a loyalty you feel to a well loved film because it is on TV. A bit odd but I've done this more than once

• Like 3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoring_in_association_football#Goal_awarded_for_handball_by_opposition

I had no idea that awarding a "penalty goal" was a thing for a season way back in the mists of time.

Still think that in this era of VAR and multiple camera angles, the ambiguity regarding whether or not the ball would have crossed the line without a deliberate handball is low enough that it's worth seriously reconsidering this rule. A penality and a red card might not be enough punishment for such an act of cheating given some circumstances,