Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

33 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Some people only ever seem to post on FT when we lose. I guess some people just enjoy being miserable lol

for a football forum im rarely on the actual football bits for this reason

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Some people only ever seem to post on FT when we lose. I guess some people just enjoy being miserable lol

Or they immediately disappear from the match thread if we go ahead or are playing well. 

Edited by Line-X

14 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Toasters should have a dial that you set then break off so nobody can ever change it.

I'm in total agreement with that. They ought to be fitted with an alarm system too, which measures the scale of bread that you are trying to put in them (on days where you're running out of bread, can't be bothered to go to the shop, and decide to use crusts) and which would say 'no, we're not going to have that. You can try it if you want, but you are running the risk of me becoming an ex-toaster. It's up to you'.

16 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Saharan dust making its way to UK. 

Looks mildly orange outside. 

Hopefully it doesn't drop this rain on you over there. My garage and walls were white when I went to bed last night, and the path was a pale stone colour lol I've never seen anything like it. 

Screenshot_20220316-141722.thumb.png.bdd36e0ec435248568f69963bdd06c73.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Hopefully it doesn't drop this rain on you over there. My garage and walls were white when I went to bed last night, and the path was a pale stone colour lol I've never seen anything like it. 

That's incredible. We're getting the rain now but can't see it having that effect! Wow. 

29 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Wow. 

That’s mad 

I've been pondering this for a while now & with Oxfordshire council now saying that only vegan foods will be catered at all Oxfordshire council run events its pushed the query down to my finger tips.
With livestock products 'red meat n dairy' currently the scurge of climate change if more councils started doing the same as Oxford & activists etc get their way & supermarkets were forced to stop the supply what will actually happen to Cows, Pigs etc?  Who will feed, tend to them, where will they graze, they are different beasts to say Deer, do we/can we let them roam free & would they multiple to untenable numbers or would it drive them to extinction or would we just have more 'sanctuaries' like the donkey 1s that rely on charitable funding because nobody else will care for a redundant commodity.

Also if we did all go vegan & didn't want genetically modified / lab grown plantfoods would we actually need more land to grow the vast amount of crops required than livestock graze on & therfore be counter intuitive to a call for grabbing more wildland back for nature?

Not an attack either way just my curious musings.

24 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

I've been pondering this for a while now & with Oxfordshire council now saying that only vegan foods will be catered at all Oxfordshire council run events its pushed the query down to my finger tips.
With livestock products 'red meat n dairy' currently the scurge of climate change if more councils started doing the same as Oxford & activists etc get their way & supermarkets were forced to stop the supply what will actually happen to Cows, Pigs etc?  Who will feed, tend to them, where will they graze, they are different beasts to say Deer, do we/can we let them roam free & would they multiple to untenable numbers or would it drive them to extinction or would we just have more 'sanctuaries' like the donkey 1s that rely on charitable funding because nobody else will care for a redundant commodity.

Also if we did all go vegan & didn't want genetically modified / lab grown plantfoods would we actually need more land to grow the vast amount of crops required than livestock graze on & therfore be counter intuitive to a call for grabbing more wildland back for nature?

Interesting. I have a couple observations here.

- I hope that animal agriculture isn't the "scourge of climate change" in the eyes of many people as energy generation and transportation are both rather bigger issues.

- Depending on the whims of the market, I would guess if there really was a much lower demand for meat and dairy products of that type then it would be a gradual rather than all-or-nothing phase out.

- Hydroponics and the associated vertical growing would be a reasonably easy answer to the question of land area to grow crops, if it were needed. Might be a good idea to get more of such things (hydroponics labs) going anyway, to be honest.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Interesting. I have a couple observations here.

- I hope that animal agriculture isn't the "scourge of climate change" in the eyes of many people as energy generation and transportation are both rather bigger issues.

- Depending on the whims of the market, I would guess if there really was a much lower demand for meat and dairy products of that type then it would be a gradual rather than all-or-nothing phase out.

- Hydroponics and the associated vertical growing would be a reasonably easy answer to the question of land area to grow crops, if it were needed. Might be a good idea to get more of such things (hydroponics labs) going anyway, to be honest.

1. yeah should have read/put 1 of

2. I know your SK based Mac & you'll know the uptake there, here its been brewing for sometime now & heavily used in the fight v CC. You can see signs for change in most markets via ads be it billboards or tv or new start up companies pushing Vegan foods etc although i must say its pushed hard at the turn of a new year just like gym memberships when everyones body conscious but yes agree it would have to be gradual although at somepoint the point of bend will drop dramatically just like no public discussion (that i'm aware) with Oxfordshire council signing off Vegan only catering at any council run event which is quite radical really given the food choices at most of these types of events.
3. Would these gobble up real estate for the growing warehouses (won't call them labs) for the amount we would need, despite i assume these are grown in stacks up rather than out.

It's certainly a noodle scratcher as is everything around CC with it easy to say 'stop' all meat products without the longer thought ala we must go electric faster despite the inability to store the quantities, the lack of infrastructure, etc that will be required, that's not to say we shouldn't be driving hard on the infrastructure.

Most of my thoughts were geared around the livestock themselves just thinking when a group says we should respect the cow is it possible they are actually contributing to the species eventually dying out?

14 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Most of my thoughts were geared around the livestock themselves just thinking when a group says we should respect the cow is it possible they are actually contributing to the species eventually dying out?

I don't xxxxing care if the cow does die out, to be honest, if we can't get steaks or milk from them what use are they? You could launch an appeal for people to keep them as pets, but after a news-driven 'Save A Cow Now' heartstring-puller boost which would lead to over 1,000 people willing to take a cow in, but I don't see that lasting very long. Sheep are appealing to look at, not so cows. I had to live when I was 8/9 opposite a cowfield, and I'll tell you what, I don't care if I don't see a cow again for the rest of my life. Do you realise that a cow can shit over three times it's own bodyweight a day and that's some nasty-ass shit compared to normal shit. That's what they are, a perpetual defecation machine. And while they're evacuating their bowels they happen to be destroying the planet. Can you imagine a father thirty years in the future saying to his son 'Hey, let's go to the zoo and look at the cows?'. No, I didn't think so. I'm broadly in favour of biodiversity, but there are limits.  :whistle:

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Line-X said:

Or they immediately disappear from the match thread if we go ahead or are playing well. 

I've said it before and I stick with it, I actually don't really mind the match thread nor do I mind it being predominantly negative. 

We're all here because we're pretty passionate as fans. To even sign up here in the first place you've probably got an interest in lcfc that goes beyond a casual interest. Most people here really care. 

The sport is meant to illicit a reaction, it's why we like it. I don't really mind people being a bit hysterical in the match thread or the post match threads. I know when things aren't going well I occasionally need a rant. 

I try not to see it as reflective of what people really think and feel it's more just their knee jerk reactions because I know it's where I post mine. 

When people have the same stupid opinions mid week in a normal discussion then that's an entirely different matter. 

I find something a bit uncomfortably smug about the people that get overly sneering about the negativity in the match thread, if I'm honest. I find myself thinking "why don't you care more?" And I know that's equally stupid. The point I guess is that everybody processes in a different way. 

I know it sounds melodramatic but I've said this before too, given the volume that domestic violence increases when football is on the TV, I'd much rather people come and let off steam bt ranting at strangers on the Internet than using their loved ones as an output for their emotions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I've said it before and I stick with it, I actually don't really mind the match thread nor do I mind it being predominantly negative. 

We're all here because we're pretty passionate as fans. To even sign up here in the first place you've probably got an interest in lcfc that goes beyond a casual interest. Most people here really care. 

The sport is meant to illicit a reaction, it's why we like it. I don't really mind people being a bit hysterical in the match thread or the post match threads. I know when things aren't going well I occasionally need a rant. 

I try not to see it as reflective of what people really think and feel it's more just their knee jerk reactions because I know it's where I post mine. 

When people have the same stupid opinions mid week in a normal discussion then that's an entirely different matter. 

I find something a bit uncomfortably smug about the people that get overly sneering about the negativity in the match thread, if I'm honest. I find myself thinking "why don't you care more?" And I know that's equally stupid. The point I guess is that everybody processes in a different way. 

I know it sounds melodramatic but I've said this before too, given the volume that domestic violence increases when football is on the TV, I'd much rather people come and let off steam bt ranting at strangers on the Internet than using their loved ones as an output for their emotions.

Not often I disagree with you

...but I disagree with you.

With regards to the ridiculous over the top melodramatic reactions, quite frankly I find it embarrassing for those concerned. But that is not the point being made. Rather, that there are those solely dedicated to such negativity and mysteriously vanish when we play well or score. It's as though they don't want us to win or preform well because it doesn't conform with their current narrative. I wouldn't say that's remotely productive or contributing anything of value whatsoever to the thread or the experience. 

Those that offer the most valuable criticism do so constructively - it may be consistently negative, but it is reasoned and balanced in the sense that they will also afford praise or credit when it is due. 

"This is shit then" or "worst ever performance from a Leicester side" (yeah since you said exactly the same last week), really brings nothing to the debate/forum - neither does the inevitable string of hackneyed crap clichés like "these players need to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror",  "get our of my club" or "I never want to see him in a Leicester shirt again". The Rennes thread was a classic example. They started brightly, came at us and played some really attractive football. We turned it around and put two past them by which time the usual offenders had pulled their customary disappearing act. I think I counted four "men versus boys" lolThey'd probably be the sort to post "get in" when we score if they only stuck around that long. 

Don't mean to come across as smug at all and I don't think that those of us that call this out do. Yes I find it excruciatingly embarrassing, but it's also highly amusing...and actually I do care when we perform badly or the manager's tactics are to cock once again. I find the post-match thread is the better time and place to express that. 

Ultimately, it's just a football forum but I would suggest if there are members "letting off steam" on it as opposed to committing acts of domestic violence, then there are serious deep seated long-term issues and greater concerns than 90 minutes relief on a football forum being an alternative conduit/release for that. 

Edited by Line-X

3 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Just cut down more rainforests to grow them 🥑? Go green!

On 15/03/2022 at 16:49, Nalis said:

Cooking is so boring.

I love cooking.

Mainly because I shut the family out of the kitchen, put some music on and drink copious amounts of beer or wine!

It's my downtime and love it when I make something really nice and everyone enjoys it.

Just now, tom27111 said:

I shut the family out of the kitchen, put some music on and drink copious amounts of beer or wine!

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

love it when I make something really nice and everyone enjoys it.

You sure about that? 

• Haha 2