Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

22 hours ago, BrummieFOX said:

Same. Paid for next day, arrived 2 days later and was just left on my doorstep. I was away that night so came back to it the following morning, luckily no one had nicked it.

But I told them it didn't arrive and so got a full refund. F**k 'em.

Same here, turned up yesterday. I was at work so left at the back door.  Adidas trainers, trainers are fine but the box was absolutely battered and he trainer’s weren’t exactly wrapped to adidas’s normal standards in the box. 

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

There's a woman on This Morning, now, that can read your pet's mind over the phone. 

Given that it's a 50/50 toss up between feeling hungry or sleepy, I'm guessing she was a hit?

23 minutes ago, Manini said:

Wheatabix are the best breakfast “cereal”/item. 

I'd be interested to know whether other people eat them without doing anything to them, or mash them into a pulp. They always take a lot more milk than you would reckon. One Weetabix consumes over a gallon of milk, or it seems that way. They're like the Tardis in terms of milk absorption. I like to have one and a half Weetabixes, because one is too small and two is too big. There's a clear product size problem and I would get in touch with them but I think they'd take no notice.

I back up the milk with Greek yoghurt, honey and raisins, but it all turns to sludge anyway, plus you've to add more milk half way through. I can't find a breakfast bowl big enough to take all this without it slopping all over the sides when I go from the kitchen to the living room. All in all, I think about these problems and more often than not I decide to have some toast and marmalade.  

Turned the tv on while I had a bit of lunch and it was on BBC 1 …. and had women’s football on.   Now I know we are being brainwashed into watching it but BBC 1 ffs ! …. anyway I decided to just keep it on for a few minutes (that’s how they do it) and it was still the same load of cr@p since I last saw it ..  small groups chasing the ball (like we did as children) and then a defender plays the ball back across the box, falling over as she did it, straight to the opposition, which resulted in a goal ..  jeez …. and this is an FA cup semi final apparently !!

Also, whilst I’m on the subject, my mate told me in the pub last night that The Lionesses (I told him off about that one cus we aren’t allowed to say things ending in esses any more (like actresses) so he must use she/they Lions) …. were doing very well in the Pony Tail Trophy World Cup and had no goals scored against them so far and something like 400+ goals for ….  which I must admit is very impressive indeed  !!   :thumbup:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Turned the tv on while I had a bit of lunch and it was on BBC 1 …. and had women’s football on.   Now I know we are being brainwashed into watching it but BBC 1 ffs ! …. anyway I decided to just keep it on for a few minutes (that’s how they do it) and it was still the same load of cr@p since I last saw it ..  small groups chasing the ball (like we did as children) and then a defender plays the ball back across the box, falling over as she did it, straight to the opposition, which resulted in a goal ..  jeez …. and this is an FA cup semi final apparently !!

Also, whilst I’m on the subject, my mate told me in the pub last night that The Lionesses (I told him off about that one cus we aren’t allowed to say things ending in esses any more (like actresses) so he must use she/they Lions) …. were doing very well in the Pony Tail Trophy World Cup and had no goals scored against them so far and something like 400+ goals for ….  which I must admit is very impressive indeed  !!   :thumbup:

....and I'm sure women encountered are equally complimentary towards your skill in various areas. :thumbup:

17 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

The Lionesses (I told him off about that one cus we aren’t allowed to say things ending in esses any more (like actresses) so he must use she/they Lions)

I've noticed this in recent years. I don't understand it? Can someone explain the reason? 

It it the same for waiters and waitresses?

14 minutes ago, Otis said:

I've noticed this in recent years. I don't understand it? Can someone explain the reason? 

...it's a strawman that tends not to exist outside of the most demanding left-wing circles. I wouldn't let it be too much of a problem.

Of course, using terminology that a person prefers as a matter of basic decency possibly shouldn't be a problem in the first place?

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

Tbf, @Countryfox isn't asking for equal pay and equal media attention for his piss poor ability :D

And I would also hope that the pay is indeed proportional to the level of interest and revenue generated.

WRT media attention, I'm not a big fan of soaps but I'm not going to get overly perturbed that they are primetime TV. Nascent sport like this (which it really shouldn't be: women's football was more popular than the men's a hundred years ago until misogynists essentially killed it) needs the time and attention to grow.

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

And I would also hope that the pay is indeed proportional to the level of interest and revenue generated.

WRT media attention, I'm not a big fan of soaps but I'm not going to get overly perturbed that they are primetime TV. Nascent sport like this (which it really shouldn't be: women's football was more popular than the men's a hundred years ago until misogynists essentially killed it) needs the time and attention to grow.

No it doesn’t ..  it just needs to be entertaining ..  like watching mens football or tv soaps ..  and the reason it is now so heavily promoted in the media has got nothing to do with entertainment. 

Imho. 

2 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

No it doesn’t ..  it just needs to be entertaining ..  like watching mens football or tv soaps ..  and the reason it is now so heavily promoted in the media has got nothing to do with entertainment. 

Imho. 

And entertainment is clearly subjective, but I think we agree there, if the qualifying remark at the end is anything to go by.

Pardon if I appeared overly confrontational in the OP, but it's hardly the only "niche" (again, subjective) activity to be given airtime on national TV and quite frankly considering this is the glorious year 2022 I was hoping humanity as a whole was working on getting past the whole treating-one-half-of-the-population-as-a-joke-at-best-and-sometimes-much-worse thing, but then given recent decisions made at high levels in many places, perhaps I am rather mistaken there.

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Oh I totally agree, the sport will improve with the more media attention it gets because more people will watch it and go to it and therefore it will generate more money and then pay players more and then players will see it more as legitimate career etc.

I'm not knocking the game or the standard tbh, I know what it is, and I'll happily watch it if it's on. I think my biggest annoyance is whilst I understand the media pushing it a bit, I don't like how they try and pretend it's in anyway comparable to its male equivalent in terms of ability. You would expect them to say a league 2 match was the same standard as a Premier league game would you?

Also the media need to quit with this tactic of vague headlines like "Man City stars quits club" to tempt you to click it and it turns out to be about the womens team. It will naturally grow and create its own traffic without this stealth way of doing it.

So in summary, show it on the TV, show it on prime time TV, report the results in the news, produce articles on the players and transfers, but don't pretend it's as good as the men's game and don't sleathly try and get people to read or watch it. Simple as that.

Saying all that another thing that annoys me is when people bring up an incident like CF did earlier of piss poor defending and judge the whole game on that, like we don't see someone doing that most weeks in the Premier League lol

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Otis said:

It's because it's pointless gendering. Maybe it's my generation but I can't ever remember it being forced on me, people just don't use gendered terms as much. Calling the England women Lionesses is fine. 

10 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Oh I totally agree, the sport will improve with the more media attention it gets because more people will watch it and go to it and therefore it will generate more money and then pay players more and then players will see it more as legitimate career etc.

I'm not knocking the game or the standard tbh, I know what it is, and I'll happily watch it if it's on. I think my biggest annoyance is whilst I understand the media pushing it a bit, I don't like how they try and pretend it's in anyway comparable to its male equivalent in terms of ability. You would expect them to say a league 2 match was the same standard as a Premier league game would you?

Also the media need to quit with this tactic of vague headlines like "Man City stars quits club" to tempt you to click it and it turns out to be about the womens team. It will naturally grow and create its own traffic without this stealth way of doing it.

So in summary, show it on the TV, show it on prime time TV, report the results in the news, produce articles on the players and transfers, but don't pretend it's as good as the men's game and don't sleathly try and get people to read or watch it. Simple as that.

Saying all that another thing that annoys me is when people bring up an incident like CF did earlier of piss poor defending and judge the whole game on that, like we don't see someone doing that most weeks in the Premier League lol

Fair to say on the branding - it should be clearer whether the mens or womens teams are being referred to, if only for the sake of an easier life. Natural progression, as you say, is best.

10 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Re the last bit flannel I can only judge on the 3 or 4 minutes I watched ..  it was nothing like things we see in the PL every week ..  it was like I see when watching Sunday pub teams .. instead of hoofing it away she tried to do what men do and play it across the box (stick to the basics ladies) and ended up slicing it to their centre forward then tangling her feet up and falling flat on her face ..  tbf it was comedy gold.  But top level sport on the nations main tv channel ..  no way. 

When they get BIG crowds that turn up (not just for the novelty value) then maybe it should be shown on non mainstream tv channels.  

6 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Re the last bit flannel I can only judge on the 3 or 4 minutes I watched ..  it was nothing like things we see in the PL every week ..  it was like I see when watching Sunday pub teams .. instead of hoofing it away she tried to do what men do and play it across the box (stick to the basics ladies) and ended up slicing it to their centre forward then tangling her feet up and falling flat on her face ..  tbf it was comedy gold.  But top level sport on the nations main tv channel ..  no way. 

When they get BIG crowds that turn up (not just for the novelty value) then maybe it should be shown on non mainstream tv channels.  

But until it's made widely available to people and an interest is gained it won't get those big crowds.

The BBC is for everyone, we all pay our licence fees (for now) so it's should shoe a variety of programmes.