Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

10 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

While on a bit of a ramble today, I met a couple that were taking their cat for a walk. 

It wasn't on a lead, but it was most definitely going for a walk with them over the fields.

I've never seen that before

Our cat follows us when we walk to our local green area. Only a couple of hundred yards but he wanders around and then follows us when we walk back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Our cat follows us when we walk to our local green area. Only a couple of hundred yards but he wanders around and then follows us when we walk back.

I've only ever had two cats and one would've disappeared under a bush for days and the other would've just ran in a straight line to Kettering or somewhere if I'd let then loose in any open space.

The cat today lived on a boat and moved around a lot, so it wasn't even on familiar territory

2 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've only ever had two cats and one would've disappeared under a bush for days and the other would've just ran in a straight line to Kettering or somewhere if I'd let then loose in any open space.

The cat today lived on a boat and moved around a lot, so it wasn't even on familiar territory

We've got two cats. Can't walk anywhere from the house unless they are in, otherwise they follow us - no matter how far.

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

While on a bit of a ramble today, I met a couple that were taking their cat for a walk. 

It wasn't on a lead, but it was most definitely going for a walk with them over the fields.

Across Europe Hiking different regions,I Dont break down & collapse on the floor anymore.

even come across walkers taking both the Dog(s) & cat(s) for reasonable high & long Adventure walks.

Met some with 2 Wolves & others ffs Playing with a befriended mountain Lion.

A group of 5 Lamas ,taking a Short pilgramage to an high remote monastry walking their 2 Tigers...

I mean, we'll know its getting fking dangerous, when we come across, Gorillas,Elephants, Tigers,Gnus taking their Human Friends for a communual-trek.

29 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Across Europe Hiking different regions,I Dont break down & collapse on the floor anymore.

even come across walkers taking both the Dog(s) & cat(s) for reasonable high & long Adventure walks.

Met some with 2 Wolves & others ffs Playing with a befriended mountain Lion.

A group of 5 Lamas ,taking a Short pilgramage to an high remote monastry walking their 2 Tigers...

I mean, we'll know its getting fking dangerous, when we come across, Gorillas,Elephants, Tigers,Gnus taking their Human Friends for a communual-trek.

That would be impressive.

We could see this couple with the cat from miles away and it was a bit like when there are 'big cat' sightings in the UK that turn out to be either a dog or a not particularly large normal cat.

In this case it was a normal size cat, called Bill. Lovely lad he was too.

Tenuous excuse to post a bit of poetry about misidentified felines (warning contains a fair bit of swearing):

https://youtu.be/qedUFtPNx0A

13 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

That would be impressive.

We could see this couple with the cat from miles away and it was a bit like when there are 'big cat' sightings in the UK that turn out to be either a dog or a not particularly large normal cat.

In this case it was a normal size cat, called Bill. Lovely lad he was too.

Tenuous excuse to post a bit of poetry about misidentified felines (warning contains a fair bit of swearing):

https://youtu.be/qedUFtPNx0A

Funny Video,  but my wife, & kids, didnt have to apologise to any Control police...

Trekking or even driving far corners, allows one to experience, what appears normal to the locals and First amusingly obstroculous to the general Tourist

same Country or far flung...

Tigers & Lamas interfacing ,not so rare in Nepal, or Asia genenerally,though Not your everday experience...

Ditto with Wolves W.wide..

Mountain Lion ,Cougar,Puma, awkward cuss at any time,  but in the Americas Human Interfacing

( often from cubs to adulthood) again unusual but not unknown.

the Kids & m.Lion we came across ,was in the rockies, we had just had a couple of hours, with a ranger...and we were off further into the Wild nature,und he mentioned ,Don t be Surprised if you come across kids with a Mountain Lion ,& kids,further up the Trail 2-3 days hike its my Brothers Wild family..

we  laughed it off...then actually 3 Days later, Early morning first a guy & his Wife (Rangers) came Walking by,

told us 'we are playing Hide n Seek with our kids & cat'..we were sitting on a couple of Stumps, endclosed with fallen logs taking breakfast...

Coming across the small Meadow break in the forest, there indeed came 2 Kids & a cat...a Mountain lion...

They Too came across sat on the logs, the 'Cat' went nonchantly but curious, to the Kids parents side...

The Rangers told us they are out on a Field Trip for 3 months, their ( State) easy Living Cabin ,their Base Camp ,from where they went off in excursions, taking inventories,Records of foliage & and animal developement...for The Forestry.  " The cat"..they had found 2 years previous, injured ,what seemed a Natural event as a larger cub, who was abandoned or mother ,met Another fate....Its name... "Cat".  the  then younger children had named it & they were sort of brought up together...We told them we had Met his Brother at the station...who gave us a lesson on bears, & lost Rangers with Wild kids...

They laughed & Bunny said ' thats my brother humour..'

So you See under  natures big canopy many things are not so unusual...

like saying supernatural...Whats super about it. ???  It is really & Simply just natural...

Perspective found, perspectives anewed..

16 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Our cat used to meet my sister at school and walk home with her. Never bothered for the rest of us, little ****.

I got an indoor cat about six months ago, first experience of them (indoor as he has a disease, so not by selfish choice). After a few months I started taking him into the garden but he always seemed reluctant, but once he was out there he slowly explored. I gave up after a handful of tries as it became too much of a game to get a harness on him. I tried again a week ago and he seemed very willing to get into his harness, so now the weather is better i've started taking him outside just for 15/20mins daily. I've had it suggested I should take him on walks but i'd never even heard of the concept.. however for the first time a few weeks ago I did see somebody else out late walking their cat lol  I can't imagine doing it with mine though as he just likes to sit in a spot and watch the world go by, if I gently yank him to move in a direction he stands his ground so it's not like walking a dog whatsoever.

I've got a mate who goes fishing all the time, he was telling me by this one lake he fishes at, he always sees a bloke walking his dog and cat on a lead.

He was in disbelief when he saw it. Eventually, he asked the bloke why and it turns out the cat just got jealous if he wasn't invited to join them on their walk lol

• Haha 2

In his lecture 'Case Against Competition', Alfie Kohn mentions this and how it's tied to our view about "human nature": Whenever someone appeals to "human nature", it's always to reinforce the idea that humans are inherently cruel, self-serving, competetive and ruthless.  

The concept "human nature" is rarely invoked in positive terms. If you say that humans are inherently kind, selfless and cooperative beings, your claim is often contested, questioned or scoffed at because we've internalized the ideas of human nature that are compatible with the competition-driven value of hitting the ape next to you over the head with a large rock.

On 22/04/2022 at 18:09, StanSP said:

Just seen this clip on Twitter. Gotta love it. Something heartwarming about kids giving other kids pep talks. I'm sure there's plenty on here, myself included, who'd have loved this as a kid. 

Rugby in a nutshell that. 

Especially if he immediately ran up to the next ruck and raked his studs down the back of the opposition flanker's shoulder. lol

The cheesy soundtrack though come on haha. 

I usually remain completely oblivious to the preoccupation with celebrity gossip and the fixation with it in the popular press, but the Johnny Depp/Amber Heard trial has managed to penetrate my defences. Possibly because like Gary Oldman (although minus the talent), years ago and pre-Pirates, there was a time that he'd accept the most unusual projects, scripts and roles in what are now obscure and cult movies - so he's always remained on my radar. But this - it's like a ****ing month long extended Monty Python sketch. After the two decades of production hell surrounding 'The Man Who Killed Don Quixote', I'm absolutely convinced that Terry Gilliam has been returned to haunt Depp and is directing and scripting court proceedings and the legal counsel teams for pure comic value. 

On 26/04/2022 at 17:43, Free Falling Foxes said:

We've had a telephone directory delivered today. Cannot remember the last time that happened.

Much slimmer now and the width  reduced so it fits through a letterbox quite easily.

I spent some time living with a girl on the Isle of Man - tellingly, the telephone directory contains about half a dozen surnames and that's it. 

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

I usually remain completely oblivious to the preoccupation with celebrity gossip and the fixation with it in the popular press, but the Johnny Depp/Amber Heard trial has managed to penetrate my defences. Possibly because like Gary Oldman (although minus the talent), years ago and pre-Pirates, there was a time that he'd accept the most unusual projects, scripts and roles in what are now obscure and cult movies - so he's always remained on my radar. But this - it's like a ****ing month long extended Monty Python sketch. After the two decades of production hell surrounding 'The Man Who Killed Don Quixote', I'm absolutely convinced that Terry Gilliam has been returned to haunt Depp and is directing and scripting court proceedings and the legal counsel teams for pure comic value. 

Not sure what any of that is supposed to mean....

But Amber Heard really is a piece of work. And a POS. 

• Like 1