Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

On 31/05/2022 at 12:50, Daggers said:

One of the purest joys in life is spending a long time looking at a 1:25 000 Scale OS map.

I love a good OS map. I'd look at any area of the country even I wasn't actually there. I used to love geography at school (50 years ago) and was always fascinated by the contour lines and topography and the different symbols for landmarks. We do a fair bit of walking and reading the OS map as I plot our route is very satisfying.

Mrs Para thinks I'm sad. The sad thing for me is, there are numerous apps for walkers that many don't bother with an OS map.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2022 at 08:40, leicsmac said:

The standard counter argument from crypto-dudebros on that tends to be "but does national FIAT currency, either?"

To which my reply is..."yes. Weaponry."

The main argument for me is always “yes, because you can only pay your taxes in national currency”. That’s ultimately why it holds more real world value than crypto, NFTs, stamps or IOUs your mate down the pub gave you.

7 hours ago, Sampson said:

The main argument for me is always “yes, because you can only pay your taxes in national currency”. That’s ultimately why it holds more real world value than crypto, NFTs, stamps or IOUs your mate down the pub gave you.

That's also true.

And you know what? That payment of taxes is enforced by....you've guessed it, government violence.

On 31/05/2022 at 19:50, Daggers said:

One of the purest joys in life is spending a long time looking at a 1:25 000 Scale OS map.

I have recently discovered a map & chart shop in Fremantle.  It is quite possibly the only shop I have ever enjoyed being in which didn't sell either alcohol or camping equipment.

6 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I have recently discovered a map & chart shop in Fremantle.  It is quite possibly the only shop I have ever enjoyed being in which didn't sell either alcohol or camping equipment.

Wandering into nailed to the floor tents you’ll never buy because they won’t fit on the motorbike. That’s almost as good as looking at maps. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Livid said:

Dublin hotel prices WTAF !!:jawdrop:

Yeah, Ireland as a whole is much richer and  more expensive than the UK these days. A hotel in central Dublin will set you back about 50% more than a hotel in central London even now. Ireland is widely predicted to become the richest country in the world by GDP within the next 10 years so it’s only going to get worse. It’s basically like Switzerland or Monaco prices now as it is.

Edited by Sampson
  • Sad 2

22 hours ago, The Bear said:

They're not bad, but they just go all soft at the end after a little while. 

KFC and Burger King have them too. 

Not bad? Completely not fit for purpose as they go soft almost immediately. It's a nice idea but they might as well just do away with the straws altogether and have a sipping lid like you get from coffee places

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I went to the tip yesterday and I really want to go again today, the feeling as you drive away from it is one of the best

The wife usually does the tip run but for some reason she calls it the 'dump'

"I'm off to the dump" she'll go and I'll say "No, I'm off for a dump, not to the dump"

For years I've been telling her it's the tip not the dump but she won't have it.

Weirdo.

27 minutes ago, Izzy said:

"I'm off to the dump" she'll go and I'll say "No, I'm off for a dump, not to the dump"

For years I've been telling her it's the tip not the dump but she won't have it.

Weirdo.

Ours is sometimes not to reason why. I'm sure you've done all you can

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

Weirdo.

Yeah, but I bet that when you get some skin wedged in your zipper you ask her to help you extract your tip.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Yeah, but I bet that when you get some skin wedged in your zipper you ask her to help you extract your tip.

Years ago I went to a guy who'd done that and we had to get his GF to hold the tip while we used lube and forceps to free him. 

Served him right for going commando. lol

Edited by Parafox
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I went to the tip yesterday and I really want to go again today, the feeling as you drive away from it is one of the best

Sometimes it's a joy. Or maybe the joy is simply relief that the tip guardians haven't had to yell at me for putting stuff in the wrong bin. Other times, specifically when they sting you 3 quid to drop off a sink, it's significantly less gratifying. The wound is still fresh. 

Mountsorrel tip is superb too for those unfamiliar with it.