Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

Just now, purpleronnie said:

Happiness like all emotions is temporary, we have been led to believe if we're not happy all the time we're failing.  We're not, we're just human.

There have been many high achievers that have not been happy. For me I don't expect too much. If you have a partner that you love and loves you back you've got more than enough. To be too chasing too many goals is not the way to be a happy person. Mind you thank you to those that have advanced our well being through their own drive and dedication 

6 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

There have been many high achievers that have not been happy. For me I don't expect too much. If you have a partner that you love and loves you back you've got more than enough. To be too chasing too many goals is not the way to be a happy person. Mind you thank you to those that have advanced our well being through their own drive and dedication 

Speaking personally, while the first would be really nice, the second drives my own personal happiness more.

15 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

They may have a point, but can't help to think that these protesters are quite mentally unwell.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62050348

Yeah, this is hardly the best way to convince people that change is required.

However (and sorry for coming for you directly in this one), with respect, I see you posting an awful lot about protestors of this type and how daft they are (which is true) and not really all that much about the very pertinent problems they're highlighting. I'm curious as to why.

3 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

There are lots of topics that many people are concerned with. This is not the way to garner support or to influence policy. To me this is vandalism.

Absolutely, and as someone who has an idea of the nature of the problem, folks getting in the way of the solution, as well meaning as they might be, are annoying.

• Like 1

Damn these women. Running out and ruining my fun at the races. This is no way to get whatever message they have across. Why can’t they do something that doesn’t impact on the enjoyment of others. They must be mentally unwell. Don’t they know they’re alienating men across the entire country?

E61167F7-439C-4881-B115-158888E6FA5B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Damn these women. Running out and ruining my fun at the races. This is no way to get whatever message they have across. Why can’t they do something that doesn’t impact on the enjoyment of others. They must be mentally unwell. Don’t they know they’re alienating men across the entire country?

E61167F7-439C-4881-B115-158888E6FA5B.jpeg

I was wondering when somebody referred to  votes for women. That is the difference they did not have the vote unlike todays protesters 

2 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

I was wondering when somebody referred to  votes for women. That is the difference they did not have the vote unlike todays protesters 

And today's protestors aren't seeking political emancipation. 

And the suffragists/gettes were blissfully unaware of the scientific ramifications of climate change in the 21stC.

I'm not sure of your point?

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

And today's protestors aren't seeking political emancipation. 

And the suffragists/gettes were blissfully unaware of the scientific ramifications of climate change in the 21stC.

I'm not sure of your point?

The point being there are lots of ways to lobby the issues and to raise awareness and to raise support without causing damage and or driving away the support by their actions. 

8 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

The point being there are lots of ways to lobby the issues and to raise awareness and to raise support without causing damage and or driving away the support by their actions. 

Those damn women damaged that horse and certainly lost the support of a bunch of men a the race track.

3 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Those damn women damaged that horse and certainly lost the support of a bunch of men a the race track.

If they want to get their points across through terrorism I get it, it's very effective. But actually go after the people responsible, they **** with normal people who have no power to change anything 

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, this is hardly the best way to convince people that change is required.

However (and sorry for coming for you directly in this one), with respect, I see you posting an awful lot about protestors of this type and how daft they are (which is true) and not really all that much about the very pertinent problems they're highlighting. I'm curious as to why.

Absolutely, and as someone who has an idea of the nature of the problem, folks getting in the way of the solution, as well meaning as they might be, are annoying.

I acknowledge that I've made such posts in recent times.

If they want to be rational and get people on their side positively on matters that they believe in/concerned about, then they really ought to change tact and protest more ethically such as providing via leaflets etc. locally on the streets (i.e., explaining who they are, what they want changing for the benefit of the environment/society etc., and how they're planning to do it ethically via creating some form of petition for example (one that may garner many thousands of support from the public, enough for the issue to be eligible to be discussed via a parliament debate) or even spread the word/ their point via social media in a respectful manner.

Gluing hands on well-known art, chaining themselves to goalposts, blocking busy commuter roads etc. just adds negative fuel to the fire towards such protestors and not much else to be quite honest - such situations like this make me lose support in what they're trying to promote/say pretty quickly.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Manini said:

Anyone else feel guilty going on holiday and not being able to speak a word of the language? Trying to learn Greek phrases on the fly - tough language, must be dead hard to learn. 

They say people appreciate trting the language. Anytime I try to say a few words (badly butchered) in the local tongue in a shop or bar its usually treated with a sigh and a response of 'that will be 6 euros please' in english. 

Edited by Nalis
  • Haha 1

On 04/07/2022 at 23:58, Bordersfox said:

I am sure this has been posted before but the use by someone of three or four exclamation marks at the end of the first sentence of their every post is really, really getting on my moobs.  Please someone make it fvcking stop. 

Ahh that's better.  Carry on. 

I didn’t know that was irritating, thanks for the tips!!!!

6 hours ago, Wymsey said:

I acknowledge that I've made such posts in recent times.

If they want to be rational and get people on their side positively on matters that they believe in/concerned about, then they really ought to change tact and protest more ethically such as providing via leaflets etc. locally on the streets (i.e., explaining who they are, what they want changing for the benefit of the environment/society etc., and how they're planning to do it ethically via creating some form of petition for example (one that may garner many thousands of support from the public, enough for the issue to be eligible to be discussed via a parliament debate) or even spread the word/ their point via social media in a respectful manner.

Gluing hands on well-known art, chaining themselves to goalposts, blocking busy commuter roads etc. just adds negative fuel to the fire towards such protestors and not much else to be quite honest - such situations like this make me lose support in what they're trying to promote/say pretty quickly.

Yes, thank you.

However I'm still looking for an answer to the question of exactly why it's only the protestors and their behaviour being highlighted here while nothing is said about the problems they are highlighting. Why focus only on them?

Again, apologies for the upfront questioning but I'm wondering what utility it actually has.

43 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yes, thank you.

However I'm still looking for an answer to the question of exactly why it's only the protestors and their behaviour being highlighted here while nothing is said about the problems they are highlighting. Why focus only on them?

Again, apologies for the upfront questioning but I'm wondering what utility it actually has.

Its the immediacy of it I guess.  These protesters are in your face right now, whereas for most people the points they are talking about still feel a long way away and impacting someone else.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Its the immediacy of it I guess.  These protesters are in your face right now, whereas for most people the points they are talking about still feel a long way away and impacting someone else.

Fair enough.

I just think that appearing to care far more about these well-meaning but not-all-that-effective folks rather than the much bigger issue, is a mistake. A fatal one, in fact.