Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

Chicken thighs are wonderful. 

The skinless, boneless fillets are incredible value for money, but they are also the tastiest meat in my opinion.

I've got about 10 in the slow cooker right now for some pulled chicken chipotle tacos tonight.

They're also great in a curry. Breast dries out too quickly.

It's like steak, rump is cheaper and tastier, but you pay more for a cut of fillet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

See, it's funny because I'm the opposite - I think dark meats worse than white, it's also fattier and not as good for you, too. 

I understand what you're saying about breast drying out, but you just need to cook it right :thumbup:

Dark meat is better for you. It does have more unsaturated fat but it's tiny amounts for both. But there are much more vitamins and minerals that are beneficial.

5 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Chicken thighs are wonderful. 

The skinless, boneless fillets are incredible value for money, but they are also the tastiest meat in my opinion

Definitely used to be, the thigh fillets were outrageously cheap but I swear they're catching up with breast prices now

• Like 1

Just now, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Definitely used to be, the thigh fillets were outrageously cheap but I swear they're catching up with breast prices now

It's like everything though mate.

I fancied a fish curry last week. Honestly would've had to spend nearly 20 quid on the cheapest white fish in sainsburys for a family of 5.

Easily under a tenner for chicken thighs.

It's not that I'm tight, but how the hell can I justify spending £20 on fish for a home cooked meal.

It's outrageous right now.

Pork belly is fashionable right now too, price of that has shot up!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RonnieTodger said:

Never tried mushy peas until about 3 years ago. What a waste of 25 years.

I don't understand how they're so much nicer than just peas. Ingredients are usually peas, food colouring, preservative and a bit of salt and sugar

• Like 1

Actually, pork belly has been fashionable for over 5 years, since fancy chefs have been cooking it, driving the price up.

Traditionally, it was the shit cut of a pig that poor people bought to give their family a bit of meat.

It's about the same price as a nice pork chop nowadays. 

Ridiculous. 

And don't get me started on the price of lamb...

4 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I don't understand how they're so much nicer than just peas. Ingredients are usually peas, food colouring, preservative and a bit of salt and sugar

Put a drop of mint sauce in them. It'll change your life.

Chicken thighs are great but they charge an absolute massive premium to buy them skinless and boneless. Always buy them as they are and debone and take the skin off them yourself. It’s a bit of work but you get more meat and save a lot of money. 

Edited by Unabomber
  • Like 2

I thought maybe 'unpopular opinions' for this but suspect it's not that unpopular.

I don't like radio 4's Today programme. I used to think it was because of the aggressive nature of it, particularly evident in the political interviews. Then I realised it was broader than that. There's an almost smug superiority about its tone.

And its sports coverage is for those work colleagues that want to start a conversation with you - "I see Lewis Hamilton won at Silverstone yesterday" 

By contrast, Women's Hour has a much more inclusive tone and invites you into subjects, piques your interest without immediately raising your hackles.

8 minutes ago, Milo said:

Accordian to a recent survey, replacing words with the names of musical instruments often goes undetected…

You lyre. It may strike a chord with you, but you're just another keyboard warrior, harping on about and strung along by fiddled facts and figures, and nothing to bass them on - usually motivated by lute. Your fanciful claims remind me of that bugling bassoon Donald Trumpet or that opinionated high hat, Piers Organ. This sort of comment is a cymbal of ignorance and zitherto I don't marimba a dafter post horn. You haven't got a tuba glue mate. Theramin lies the problem. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 07/07/2022 at 13:30, leicsmac said:

That's fair enough... however, would this same argument apply to "affirmative action" programs and suchlike?

The point being that sometimes, when an institution or attitudes in general are so ingrained towards the status quo where a demographic is overlooked...a little pushfrom the powers that be is sometimes needed to allow equality of opportunity (as opposed to equality of outcome), even if it appears deceptive or, as you say, tedious.

With this discussion in mind. 

I've just stuck Austria and N. Ireland on for something to watch. 

I've had to turn it off because the crowd noise is so loud as to be obtrusive and it isn't...in sync with the football. 

It's very surprising a crowd can down out the commentary especially considering its basically empty 🤣

They're piping in noises and it's rendering out unwatchable! 

47 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Can someone ask Rob Tanner who Nadidi is?

Lovechild of Wilfred Ndidi and Nadine Dorries? :dunno:

Nah! She's the one person he couldn't tackle....

Edited by Alf Bentley