Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

1 minute ago, RonnieTodger said:

I’ve been learning Spanish and German casually. I found the “coffee break” podcasts were a great accompaniment to whatever apps you’re using for the lessons. 

They do start off at an extremely easy level but quickly build up to more advanced things. 

I was tempted by German as I do feel like if I was ever to live in a different country its probably be there. Just doesn't sound as sexy lol

Ah thanks I'll check those out 

14 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

I've decided for no reason whatsoever to learn a new language lol

Haven't decided which yet but it'll more than likely be Spanish or French. Strange question but any recommendations? Also does anybody have any advice or handy tips?

I've got an audible membership so I'm going to start there with one of their guides

I would suggest Gujarati.

You will inevitably deal with Indian call centres and have a situation where you both won't understand what the bloody hell either of you are saying.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I would suggest Gujarati.

You will inevitably deal with Indian call centres and have a situation where you both won't understand what the bloody hell either of you are saying.

Ha, you joke but a mate of mine has family from Gujarat and he mentioned the words are all written phonetically so once you know the alphabet its quite easy to read. Or he's just bullshitting me. lol

11 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Ha, you joke but a mate of mine has family from Gujarat and he mentioned the words are all written phonetically so once you know the alphabet its quite easy to read. Or he's just bullshitting me. lol

It works!

Just said to an Asian colleague, 'A M8. U OK?'

Must admit I put on a bit of an accent to labour the point. :ph34r:

15 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Haven't decided which yet but it'll more than likely be Spanish or French. Strange question but any recommendations? Also does anybody have any advice or handy tips?

I've got an audible membership so I'm going to start there with one of their guides

One tip I’d say is get an A1/A2 level textbook.

As much as people say “people don’t speak language from a textbook”, learning from a textbook is still the best way to learn up to around B2 level.

You do need the basics of grammar and form, as much as someone trying to sell you some quick learning programme will say “grammar doesn’t matter”.

Edited by Sampson
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

I'm enjoying Duolingo. 

I think if you're serious and committed to learning a language then you might want to supplement it with other forms of learning but I definitely think it's something you should add to your learning experience. 

It's absolutely chock full of dopamine hooks to trick you in to learning like it's a game and I was surprised by how quickly I was reading and writing full sentences. I'm on like a 72 day streak at the moment and it's never been a chore. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

One tip I’d say is get an A1/A2 textbook.

As much as people say “people don’t speak language from a textbook”, learning from a textbook is still the best way to learn up to around B2 level.

You do need the basics of grammar and form, as much as someone trying to sell you some quick learning programme will say “grammar doesn’t matter”.

Had a family holiday in Paris a few years ago and said to a mate that I was tempted to take him along too to translate for me.

He asked me why because he couldn't speak French.

I said you have an A level in French don't you. He said yes, but I can't speak French.

:dunno:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

One tip I’d say is get an A1/A2 level textbook.

I went and lived in Quito for two months instead, but then I already had French and Latin. 

3 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I really fancy going to Jordan in October. Has anyone been before?

I have but only for work which was based in Amman.  It's my favourite country in the region with mainly Muslim and Christian communities which seem to get along pretty well.  If you go you must visit Petra.  

3 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

I have but only for work which was based in Amman.  It's my favourite country in the region with mainly Muslim and Christian communities which seem to get along pretty well.  If you go you must visit Petra.  

Petra Morgan

Petra Morgan @Jattdogg will recognise her I'm sure

Currently sat in my car in London waiting for my wife and daughter to finish at the Lady Gaga concert at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium.

The stadium looks amazing but my god the surrounding area is a shithole. I despise London. I hate driving through it and I hate the ignorant people you meet here. Get me home NOW

29 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Currently sat in my car in London waiting for my wife and daughter to finish at the Lady Gaga concert at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium.

The stadium looks amazing but my god the surrounding area is a shithole. I despise London. I hate driving through it and I hate the ignorant people you meet here. Get me home NOW

Tottenham is an awful, depressing area

• Like 1