Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

18 minutes ago, davieG said:

I know I shouldn't let it bother me but I get really pissed off with these type of headlines re the Women's Euro success.

Football's come home

No more hurt.

For me football's not come home and will still keep on hurting until the Men win something.

Good luck to the women but let them make their own unique headlines.

Same here ..  wish them all the best and hope the sport grows ..  but comparing them to the winners of 66 doesn’t seem right ..

17 minutes ago, davieG said:

I know I shouldn't let it bother me but I get really pissed off with these type of headlines re the Women's Euro success.

Football's come home

No more hurt.

For me football's not come home and will still keep on hurting until the Men win something.

Good luck to the women but let them make their own unique headlines.

Their win emphasised that I just don’t care a jot about elite men’s football in any of its guises.

There was a purity about the women’s victory, in both style of play and attitude. For me, football very much came home - a people’s game untainted by toxic lad culture, drugs, money and violence. No far right salutes, no racist/sexist/homophobic ‘banter’, no sulking overlooked stars or prima-donna behaviour.

If male internationals and the PL were cancelled and the clubs wound up tomorrow I’d shed not one tear.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Same here ..  wish them all the best and hope the sport grows ..  but comparing them to the winners of 66 doesn’t seem right ..

They are the Women's equivalent, more or less  of the Men's '66 but it's their win and that's fine but as I said let them make their own headlines, it's insulting to them in some ways. Theirs's is their own unique win and their own piece of history.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

Their win emphasised that I just don’t care a jot about elite men’s football in any of its guises.

There was a purity about the women’s victory, in both style of play and attitude. For me, football very much came home - a people’s game untainted by toxic lad culture, drugs, money and violence. No far right salutes, no racist/sexist/homophobic ‘banter’, no sulking overlooked stars or prima-donna behaviour.

If male internationals and the PL were cancelled and the clubs wound up tomorrow I’d shed not one tear.

Well as I said it was their unique win laud all those points you mention rather than relate it to the men's game recognise it is different, superior if you like in many aspects.. Like you I really enjoyed the game.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2022 at 12:58, Daggers said:

I dreamt about Big Nige last night. He wanted me to look out for his 5yr old son as I was “the most trustworthy person” at the venue. His words, not mine.

Did he come to any of you in your dreams? No. No he did not. I think that says a lot about both him and me.

This "venue".... was it 116 Welford Rd, Leicester LE2 by any chance? ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Leicester City centre appears on the face of it to be holding up far better than Sheffield's.

Walked down Sheffield high street last week and was surprised at how gaunt it looked. The Peace Gardens are nice, and I suppose a lot of businesses are looking to Kelham as a place to set up, it is lovely round there to be fair. 

Never seems to be much footfall post covid either, doesn’t seem “busy” at rush hour whenever I go. 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Manini said:

Walked down Sheffield high street last week and was surprised at how gaunt it looked. The Peace Gardens are nice, and I suppose a lot of businesses are looking to Kelham as a place to set up, it is lovely round there to be fair. 

Never seems to be much footfall post covid either, doesn’t seem “busy” at rush hour whenever I go. 

Yeah big time, similarly in areas like Crookes, Hillsborough and Neepsend.

High Street and Castlegate are rough now. Moving the market never helped it at all.

5ish or 11 in the morning you are right its pathetically slow going.

Television news: stop apologising for or warning about distressing images. 

It should be a given that the news contains stuff about the world some might find distressing. 

Just now, the BBC apologised for showing maggots when some could be “eating their tea.” Get in the sea. 

On 30/07/2022 at 22:08, kingcarr21 said:

Currently sat in my car in London waiting for my wife and daughter to finish at the Lady Gaga concert at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium.

The stadium looks amazing but my god the surrounding area is a shithole. I despise London. I hate driving through it and I hate the ignorant people you meet here. Get me home NOW

I assume you've been to Wembley at some point. I went before the new stadium was built and I was surprised at the location, like an industrial estate surrounded by pretty grim housing estates. The seating in upper stands was covered in pigeon shite. All in all a very underwhelming experience

• Like 2

I temporarily changed my house wifi password to “WhatsTheMagicWord”* as my kids were having quite a lot of friends round with a variety of devices at the beginning of the holidays. 

Conversations with kids friends went something like:

Them: Whats the wifi password?

Me: whats the magic word

Them: Please?

Me: No

Them: No what? 
Me: Whats the magic word

Them: Pretty please?

Them: Abracadabra?

You get the idea. Was fun. 

(Did the same for my man cave access point a while back - to F**kYou - mates would come round and ask what the password was…

Wife made me change it when her mum came round and wanted to connect her iPad)

*It’s since been reset for those of you who thought they could stand outside my house, use the wifi and download all sorts of unmentionable things…

• Haha 3

Bit of a niche one this but there seems to be a growing number videos on social media usually involving marketing companies employing 20 somethings where someone appears to playfully film their staff coming into the office in the morning with their name, time and some silly caption on the video itself 'Olly, 8.41am, early bird' 'Chloe, 9.14am, fashionably late'.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it but it seems like a really passive aggressive way of calling out your late

employees publicly.

25 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Bit of a niche one this but there seems to be a growing number videos on social media usually involving marketing companies employing 20 somethings where someone appears to playfully film their staff coming into the office in the morning with their name, time and some silly caption on the video itself 'Olly, 8.41am, early bird' 'Chloe, 9.14am, fashionably late'.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it but it seems like a really passive aggressive way of calling out your late

employees publicly.

Appalling people management.  Not sure it is even legal.

1 hour ago, Milo said:

I temporarily changed my house wifi password to “WhatsTheMagicWord”* as my kids were having quite a lot of friends round with a variety of devices at the beginning of the holidays. 

(Did the same for my man cave access point a while back - to F**kYou - mates would come round and ask what the password was…

*It’s since been reset for those of you who thought they could stand outside my house, use the wifi and download all sorts of unmentionable things…

I've always used MAC filtering on my routers. Stops anyone connecting even if I tell them the password. 

Anyone had any positive stories of packing up smoking for good? I have been on and off for about 10 years, usually when I have a drink or face some form of stress, can go weeks without it too. I've contacted NHS quit ready and they are sending some stuff out to help me, has anyone used their service. If I am in a period of smoking I will only have 5-7 a day. It's just an awful habit that I want rid of for good rather than continually relapsing. I hate the thought of vaping so that's out the question. Its about £12 a pack these days too.

Cheers

On 03/08/2022 at 08:10, Milo said:

lol

I always change the name of our WiFi router from the random generated letters and numbers to "Pretty_Fly_For_A_WiFi" 

Yes, I'm a 42 year-old man, but I like it.

And in my mind, the neighbours search for their WiFi, see the name of mine and think 'oh my god, their WiFi has got such a cool name. Whoever thought of that must be awesome' 

Edited by tom27111
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

lol

I always change the name of our WiFi router from the random generated letters and numbers to "Pretty_Fly_For_A_WiFi" 

Yes, I'm a 42 year-old man, but I like it.

And in my mind, the neighbours search for their WiFi, see the name of mine and think 'oh my god, their WiFi has got such a cool name. Whoever thought of that must be awesome' 

I do that too. My WiFi is simply called NICKNET. For obvious reasons. 

• Like 1