Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Kasper Schmeichel

People really do underestimate how important it is to be well rounded. All premier league keepers should be top quality shot stoppers as it's the bread and butter. Other facets like communication, control of the area and even distribution are incredibly important and make a huge impact to a teams control and defensive performance.

Kasper falls well short of this compared to a lot of keepers and it's one of them that people will only appreciate once they see a keeper that is better in these areas. Nothing against Kasper though, he's maximised the absolute most he can out of his career due his incredible work ethic and strong personality. I absolutely love his interviews and he'll go down as a club legend when he finally leaves.

Got really high hopes of Iversen, only managed to watch him live a couple of times but he impressed me on both occasions. The rest is based from Preston fans opinions and highlights of him in action.

People will defend Kasper because of how successful he has been in his time at the club however it must be said that it doesn’t look good for Kasper, that in his first full season as club captain, the team has been so poor defensively. As a goalkeeper at this level you have to dominate your area and command your defence and he has fallen well short of that in recent times. Yes he is an excellent shot stopper but that is only one facet of being an elite level keeper. 

The next Number 1 has to be aggressive in coming for crosses, bigger physically to make up for the lack of physicality and height in the rest of the team and needs to be better with his distribution which is another area of Kasper’s game that has been lacking in recent times. 

I don't think this is anything new when it comes to Schmeichel, so has the things he was good at got worse or the things he's never been great at (commanding his area and dealing with crosses in to the 6 yard box) got worse than before?

Schmeichel's weaknesses aren't going to help a very erratic defence which is what we're seeing this season but he's never come for crosses or come out and dealt with set pieces with any regularity so what's happened to our team at set pieces? Do we need 2 new CB's and/or a complete overhaul of our coaching and mentality at defending? The desire to get to the ball isn't there from our keeper, defenders, midfielders or attackers and that's what's most ominous.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

People will defend Kasper because of how successful he has been in his time at the club however it must be said that it doesn’t look good for Kasper, that in his first full season as club captain, the team has been so poor defensively. As a goalkeeper at this level you have to dominate your area and command your defence and he has fallen well short of that in recent times. Yes he is an excellent shot stopper but that is only one facet of being an elite level keeper. 

The next Number 1 has to be aggressive in coming for crosses, bigger physically to make up for the lack of physicality and height in the rest of the team and needs to be better with his distribution which is another area of Kasper’s game that has been lacking in recent times. 

Kasper being captain or not being captain has nothing to do with this seasons capitulation at set pieces and defending in general, baring in mind he has been captain on the field now more often than not for the majority of the time Rodgers has been here. Morgan was a peripheral player.

It's easy to blame Kasper for his shocking inability to command his area but he never has and yet it wasn't as bigger a problem as it is now. The collective effort at defending is just honking this season and mirrors what happened with Rodgers at Liverpool.

I guess an easy way to put perspective on how good Kasper is could be by going through the first choice keepers of the other 19 teams and sticking them behind our defence. How many of those would actually be better? And of those, how many would be realistic targets for a mid table PL team? Probably not many.

time to go, he can go play in Denmark for FC Copehagen and plays some CL football, the corners situation is  fiasco. Every team knows he doesnt come out at the best of times and stick a man on him, if you keeper cant help on corners, set pieces or crosses you will alway concede. Its become a 'mental' thing with city now.

Great servant , but now we need a new keeper

When we won the PL, we had Morgan and Huth absolutely dominating our penalty area, leaving Kasper to make the worldie saves. We don't have that now, so need a keeper to do the job - step forward Daniel Iversen. If he screws up I'll be the first one on his back giving him pelters but for me he's more than capable. Kasper will always be a legend, but I've never thought he was anything more than adequate. Ok, he may have won us the FA cup, for which I am eternally grateful, but he has always had shortcomings which we have glossed over.

11 minutes ago, steveherbe said:

When we won the PL, we had Morgan and Huth absolutely dominating our penalty area, leaving Kasper to make the worldie saves. We don't have that now, so need a keeper to do the job - step forward Daniel Iversen. If he screws up I'll be the first one on his back giving him pelters but for me he's more than capable. Kasper will always be a legend, but I've never thought he was anything more than adequate. Ok, he may have won us the FA cup, for which I am eternally grateful, but he has always had shortcomings which we have glossed over.

We had Evans and Soyuncu or Fofana and defensively we were pretty good. Schmeichel hasn't caused this capitulation but nor can he drag us out of it with individual ability to patch over a collective inability to fight for the ball in and around the area.

I'm torn, he's still an incredible shot stopper, look at how he performed in our last league win 2 months ago vs Liverpool. Made 3 or 4 astonishing saves. But as someone else has said, now that set pieces are such a public and mental issue for us, his shortcomings are even more exposed as teams focus on him to ensure he doesn't even consider coming for anything. I still think the outfield players have absolutely no desire to get there first though for whatever reason and that's not Kasper's doing.

14 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Still see him staying until the end of next season at the earliest and even then he might sign another deal. I am concerned he's dropping off and as long as the club aren't stupid with acknowledging that then hopefully Iversen comes back and challenges him next year and we go from there. Ward can move on IMO, he's not going to ever be our number 1.

He’s not the player he was. His agility is going. He doesn’t command his area. I’d like him as back up keeper next season. He can still pull off some excellent saves, but I’d like a new first team

keeper Pope start of next season. I’d be surprised if Schmeichel isn’t the first choice at the start of next season though. 

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't think this is anything new when it comes to Schmeichel, so has the things he was good at got worse or the things he's never been great at (commanding his area and dealing with crosses in to the 6 yard box) got worse than before?

Schmeichel's weaknesses aren't going to help a very erratic defence which is what we're seeing this season but he's never come for crosses or come out and dealt with set pieces with any regularity so what's happened to our team at set pieces? Do we need 2 new CB's and/or a complete overhaul of our coaching and mentality at defending? The desire to get to the ball isn't there from our keeper, defenders, midfielders or attackers and that's what's most ominous.

It might not be new to us fans that watch him every week, but the focus and attention it has received for the last 10 odd weeks, to the point of the TV commentary predicting us conceding as soon as we give a way a corner.

Means that every-team we play is now fully aware and exploits this weakness to their benefit as part of their tactics.

Edited by HankMarvin

1 minute ago, rachhere said:

Feels like the beginning of the end to me and that he's definitely looking for a new challenge. I for one will be absolutely gutted to see the guy go. 

Yes,  but there are few players who you would wish them quite so well when they leave

10 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

If people slate Kasper for his distribution imagine how much stick Pope will get lol 

To some extend he creates the ongoing problem at corners by staying on his line. As we have seen it gives the attacker the advantage as he basically gets a free header. I think of a more aggressive tactics by Kasper by coming out to attack the ball, punching it away could be more effective. if the attacking header felt he just might get Kasper's fist smashed on his nose, you plant a seed of doubt. At the moment he does not have that fear as he knows Kasper will stay on the line.  

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The correct answer is, " I can, and as long as he is still good enough then hopefully here "

If he deteriorates though we have thst dilemma of whether the club have the bravery to drop him.

I don't think its a case of "if " he deteriorates that seems quite apparent . Just watching his distribution and failure to command his area over the last two seasons getting worse by the game is evident to most fans. I hope he takes a personal choice to hang his boots up at the end of the season and quit while he's still in front. I have the deep respect for him and he will always be a big part of this clubs history and achievements but imo he's no longer up to premier league standard that we need.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Supergray22 said:

Not his time yet. Still too good. Every one has dips in form. 

Suspect the decision will be when he is ready, unsure of the reliability but it has been reported he wants another go at the CL before he retires.