Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Kasper Schmeichel

If Kasper's happy to stay, I'd keep him for a couple of seasons yet. 

From what I've seen though, Iversen is having a good season for Preston down in the Championship - rave reviews from their fans, great shot stopper, keeping a decent amount of clean sheets. I guess it's harder to bring through a keeper to the first team, but perhaps if Ward wants to move on next season, we could start using Iversen for cup games/rotation etc? Bit of an understudy to Kasper while he winds down his career?

13 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

The only thing that's embarrassingly bad here is your post pal. 

Yes it's time for him to leave but you can't ever down play what a great player and leader he was for us. 

You literally can't its right there in the history books. 

kasper2.jpg

4_JS234977920.jpg

2GC98MXjpg.jpg

I’ll give you that @Claridge’s post was emotionally charged & intemperate. But if you ignore the language & consider the criticisms made, it’s hard to disagree with anything he said.

Goalkeeping has moved on in the last 5 years or so. Kasper hasn’t kept up.

26 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We don't need to change a whole defence though do we? Our full backs are largely very good, there's a possibility of cashing in on Castagne if he'd want to go back to Italy and bring in a cheaper replacement in Ramsay or Spence and utilise the remaining funds elsewhere but even at centre half we'll likely bring in only 1 or 2 if we can sell Soyuncu and/or Vestergaard.

The under performance is collective, especially at set pieces. I honestly don't see this current regime sorting it very quickly with new signings alone. There needs to be a huge change in approach and I only see that with a change in keeper

Fixed that for you @Ric Flair

36 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

I’ll give you that @Claridge’s post was emotionally charged & intemperate. But if you ignore the language & consider the criticisms made, it’s hard to disagree with anything he said.

Goalkeeping has moved on in the last 5 years or so. Kasper hasn’t kept up.

Hence in my post I said "it's time for him to leave".

I would disagree that length of time in which he's been left behind and targeted by the opposition is as long as 5 years, 5 years ago he was performing heroics in the champions league including some of the best performances and saves of his time here v Copenhagen and Seville etc. 3 years ago in Rodgers first full season we conceded the least amount of goals from set peices. 

But over the last 2 years its become painfully obvious that he won't come of his line even for corners in his 6 yard box and opostion know how to exploit and he clearly can't/won't change it up so its time sadly to change him up. Doesn't take away from what he achieved in his 12 years here or how brilliant he was for 10 of them. 

3 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Hence in my post I said "it's time for him to leave".

I would disagree that length of time in which he's been left behind and targeted by the opposition is as long as 5 years, 5 years ago he was performing heroics in the champions league including some of the best performances and saves of his time here v Copenhagen and Seville etc. 3 years ago in Rodgers first full season we conceded the least amount of goals from set peices. 

But over the last 2 years its become painfully obvious that he won't come of his line even for corners in his 6 yard box and opostion know how to exploit and he clearly can't/won't change it up so its time sadly to change him up. Doesn't take away from what he achieved in his 12 years here or how brilliant he was for 10 of them. 

For me 2016/17 was Kasper’s best season - by a distance. In both legs against Sevilla he was as good as it gets.

I don’t argue that he’s been poor for 5 years or so, but that keeping moved on around then or whenever Pep & Klopp signed their Brazilian sweeper-keepers. 

I agree it’s the last two seasons that have highlighted Kasper’s many weaknesses.

14 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

thats not quite true, his command of the box has Cleary dropped considerably since 15/16 and 16/17 17/18 

You reckon? I don't. What I think is that we no longer sit in and let teams put endless crosses into our box.

I'd like to see a "high claims under pressure" stat. That's probably be the same. The extra high numbers are most likely a result of overhit free kicks or crosses that he's collected under no pressure. There's more of these because our game plan was basically sit in our box then smash the ball into the massive space left in the other teams half.

Goalkeeper stats are generally pretty rubbish as they have no context. The only contextual goalkeeping stat is probably expected goals conceded from shots on target vs actual goals conceded.

Off the stats...I watched Iversen last night, was good to see him constantly talking to his defence, what was especially impressive was that he was letting his fullback know that he has a player or two behind him. I mean it's goalkeeping basics, you can see the whole pitch, use that to inform your players of where the opposition are. With that organisation you'll prevent more chances being created.

37 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

On a different note, it's my birthday today and so my mum kindly bought me Schmeichel's autobiography:

Compress_20220224_200814_4827.thumb.jpg.69f1a678dee571f25214d8df43b09b7f.jpg

I don't have the heart to tell her lol

I only discovered this week that Peter's middle name is 1 typo away from being Coleslaw! Boleslaw 😂

• Haha 3

Guest Col city fan

The nonsense at the end didn’t really matter

Kasper made the exceptional saves when it actually made a difference.

At least one of his saves tonight was world class 

42 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I mean, he’s surrounded by Meslier, Martinez and Ederson there, who are all very good goalkeepers. I think we’ve seen enough of Schmeichel to not have to question his ability. 

I’m not questioning it at all just thought it was interesting. In terms of shot stopping he hasn’t been at his usual standard this season. I still think he’s a top keeper but always good to at least look at these stats whether they confirm or deny our own biases. 

Edited by RumbleFox