Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Kasper Schmeichel

16 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Outrageous save.

He's genuinely in the conversation for best shot stopper in the world. As others have said, if the bloke commanded his box then he wouldn't be at Leicester still. 

He’s conceded the second most goals in the league this season (50). I love the bloke but he’s not anywhere near being in that conversation. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Heskey2011 said:

Nevermind Shilts and Banks it's a different game now than what it was when his dad was playing.

I've played in goal, on and off for 30 years and it astounds me how little people know about goal keeping.

The most knowledgeable people on football in general know absolutely fa about it.  

Just the kicking element, I mean playing in a team with a target man or tall wide players makes it 100× easier to make a successful pass especially when you're under pressure, or just from goal kicks. When we had Paul Gallager out on the left to receive the long balls, Kaspers kicking stats would have been phenomenal.

I think this is what as got lost…The modern fan seems to be more interested in portioning the blame,forgets easily in the same game the positives.

Far too interested in finding the most cynical pundit critic moment, than discussing

the attributes & skills shown in the game.

My friends and I would discuss for hours, goalkeeping technic, or why a supposed easy clearance,or save was not so black n white…

I too played GK,through school & even after, when I changed & was successfull at Rugby..Until my career stopping injury,

GKeeping was probably more intensively & longer discussed & debated,because of its uniqueness to the rest of the game..

And our / Foxes GKeeping history lent weight to any debate.

We could debate direct differences,also because of the GK. Quality in the opposition…When both set of fans both applauded, the Banks,Shilton,Clemence,Jennings,Corrigans of those days,when going to their allotted goal. 

Even the commentators written,TV or radio knew their stuff..

Alan Smith and Lineker when becoming reporters,observationists to their credit,

would comment,‘I don’t have enough knowledge to say what the GK should/shouldn’t be doing´ outside the obvious..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Sorry I don’t follow tha way of thinking…

Yes environments change in all sports, over the years, but any top level sportsman/woman,born in a past era,were above the norm of their day.

IMO those same sportsmen, if born in todays world  or in 100yrs time, would then take on & automatically be born and developed into that said eras skill-sets,training methods, & the said modern Sport characteristics.

It follows they would then  have the same development, training methods,& knowledge gathered for this period or futures period of time…The basics havent changed that much,

Banks , Shilton, Yashin any  GK,would then by default be born,into that change of ball characteristics…eg: lighter swerving ball or improved pitches.

Their eye- hand coordination , or game awareness’s would be in their DNA. So like they were above the norm in their given sport, so they would be today..Banks/Shilton would not then be Banks/Shilton of the 60s-70s, but the great Banks/Shilton of 2000-2022

The only two pointss, that would make an interesting debate, I can think of,

# top & average  GKs of yesteryear especially the greats went in

Mostly head & hands first which was a skill-set of hits own,let alone a question of mental strength ,not like today feet first..

# Very few GK of yesteryear would never think of goalkeeping only from their 6 yard box.
What made Yashin, Banks,Shilton more than most , unique, was their command in the air, & their wider command of their penalty box…

So they are assets, where I do see Shilton/Banks/ Wallington/ Flowers having the upper hand over Schmeicel. the first four mentioned were also world class 1-1 shot-stoppers.

Another proud,unique point for Leicester, of the top 2 divisions, since my time ( late 50s) we have had by far used fewer G.keepers, & any including reserves who have played long periods..We have alway had top goalkeepers..

I believe until recently, from the top 2 divisions both W.Ham & ourselves,

since the 50s got through fewer GKs & Managers.

All that said it’s all hyperthetical anyway..

Kasper has been ´ our Goalkeeper´ these last 10 years,

I for one have been more than happy & proud he’s served us so well..

for all of Kasper 's deficiencies having attended the 69 Cup Final I will always be grateful for the two match winning saves that helped win the Cup. Do agree though that he would not have been chosen above either Banks or Shilton.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kingkisnorbo said:

He’s conceded the second most goals in the league this season (50). I love the bloke but he’s not anywhere near being in that conversation. 

Don't believe we would have conceded less with another keeper behind the defence we've had available this season.

Jan Oblak has conceded 39 he's the best in the world.

5 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Agreed.

We should just appreciate they all played for us at one point or another.

Dunno why people want to compare everything.

Because it's a football fans site and believe or not it's what they do. you don't have to take part if it bores you?

Guest Col city fan

Easily player of the season for me

And I think he’ll be players player at the end of the season

I’m surprised he’s stayed at City as long as he has, but I’m sure that has lots to do with the owners, who he clearly adores.

Will easily go down as one of City’s best ever keepers 

4 hours ago, kingkisnorbo said:

I remember Leicester being on Match of the Day twice in a month, twice was a lot, losing 5 nil both times and Wallington still won player of the month. 

As for the Banks, Shilton, Kasper debate......... A keeper for one game I imagine would be Banks, era or style of play be damned.

However, a keeper for an epoca?

Even I have to admit Kasper puts Wallington on the bench.

5 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

Outrageous save.

He's genuinely in the conversation for best shot stopper in the world. As others have said, if the bloke commanded his box then he wouldn't be at Leicester still. 

This is the first time I've seen that since he made it and I thought I'd dreamt how good it was after barely seeing it mentioned on here or by anyone on social media lol

Absolutely ridiculous save

Pope is the classic Dean Henderson/Jack Butland type goalkeeper though who looks good shot stopping behind a well drilled and very deep defence, you always gets these type of keepers. Doesn't mean it necessarily translates well to playing behind a side who doesn't camp outside their own box. Doesn't mean it doesn't either, but I'm just always wary of that kind of keeper making the step to a less defensive side.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Easily player of the season for me

And I think he’ll be players player at the end of the season

Wtf? Is this a wind up?

Guest Col city fan
44 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Wtf? Is this a wind up?

We’ll see

😉

Edited by Col city fan

I really hope he turns this around and comes back next year a better goalkeeper, commanding his box and dominating in-swinging corners.

IMO he definitely could do with losing 10-12 KG, too often he is beaten from outside the box or shots down low to either side. 

Love the guy, absolute legend but at this rate I’d wanna see Iverson given a real chance next year. 

Sidenote, I hate keepers being captains but who else is there?! 

• 2 weeks later...

He only plays well if He is being challenged for his place.

Ward has become complacent and settled for the number 2 role.

Sell Danny Ward and bring in a GK that will actually challenge Schmeichel, either Kasper will raise his game again or the New GK can take the number 1 spot and Kasper will retire.