Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

I seem to remember when he came into the first team, due to injuries, 19/20 I think it was with several games to go, he was excellent, it was the beginning of our defensive frailties 20/21 that he was probably instructed to hang back. There is no doubt his inexperience showed lack of consistent performances but many wrote chilwell when he had similar performances 

Edited by splinterdream
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I seem to remember when he came into the first team, due to injuries, 19/20 I think it was with several games to go, he was excellent, it was the beginning of our defensive frailties 20/21 that he was probably instructed to hang back. There is no doubt his inexperience showed lack of consistent performances but many wrote chilwell when he had similar performances 

He looked promising then, unfortunately he has now regressed, although he is not alone in declining

• Haha 1

I like Luke Thomas, think he’s a solid squad player and I want him to ultimately succeed here. However yesterday jumped LB to priority number 1 in the January window for me.

Yes, Almiron and Trippier are an in-form and good quality opposing pair. Yes, Newcastle are a big, physical and energetic side. And yes, Barnes wasn’t great in front of him whilst nobody around him exactly shone. 

But he looked frighteningly out of his depth. He got bullied first whistle to last. He’s not ready to play week in week out at this level. I’d be happy to keep him as a number 2 left back and I’m not writing him off just yet but he needs more to time develop. 

I sympathise with him too. With Justin out he’s been left exposed and under a lot of pressure to perform to consistently high standards he’s never done before in his first team career with us. He’s shown he can do it (Liverpool (H) last season, the FA cup final etc etc) but never in regular spurts.

Ryan Bertrand is an absolute disgrace. The bloke has been MIA for over a year now, was shocking before his injury, and it’s at a time we desperately a steady, senior pro to come in and support. In an ideal world we hook Thomas at HT yesterday for that type of option and take him out the firing line. But we can’t. The sooner Bertrand is gone from our club the better. £75k per week my arse. He is one of the signings that’s crippled our ability to invest in the squad.

What I’d give to be able to call on Christian Fuchs to support in situations like this!

• Like 1

Thomas is a steady player for his age. I think he is one of those players who every now and then comes up against players or teams he just simply can’t handle, and his limitations are exposed. Which is why I’m always cautious about getting overly excited by him. 

He’s decent enough, but his limitations in my opinion make him a squad member opposed to a first team player. This could change as he develops though as he is still a young lad. 

But he has got to play against Salah next…….

On 26/12/2022 at 20:17, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Forward play? I'm not sure he got over the half way line much at all. Absolutely scared stiff of going forwards. But 0-3  and Barnes in front can do that to you. 

neither left back gets forward if you pay attention, they both go into CM to cover space there when we attack, a clear instruction from Rodgers because that's what Pep does.

Back to being mediocre tonight. Played an absolute worldie pass through for Barnes’ one-on-one but other than that thought he was average at best.

We genuinely lack quality all over the pitch, and with Ricardo and JJ being damaged goods we need to strengthen in the FB areas for sure. Remains to be seen if that’s in Jan or the summer!