Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

40 minutes ago, Whys it always me said:

That’s me. 

Was getting hammered a few months ago by some as not good enough. Shows what a run of games does. 

yes I’m his uncle but he was ****ing class tonight and underrated 

He's always impressed me, and any bad games you can put it down to inexperience. He's going to be some talent in the future!

Give him a huge pat on the back, he was absolutely fantastic tonight.

• Like 2

Slightly random point. All the talk of Chelsea producing hundreds of rights backs. 

We’ve now had 3 very good left backs come through the academy in last 5 years - Chilwell, Thomas and Bassey up at Rangers

weird position to get loads of kids through

(forgot Callum elder)

Edited by eblair

Guest Chocolate Teapot
5 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Might not be as talented as chilwell but he puts the ****ing graft in

Hes more talented than chilwell. Chilwell at his age just ran, this kid is making countless interceptions and has brilliant technique.

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Hes more talented than chilwell. Chilwell at his age just ran, this kid is making countless interceptions and has brilliant technique.

Chilwell made a big physical step up in puel’s first summer. Spent weeks running and running back home in Milton Keynes. If Luke manages similar then we really have a player. His positional sense is way better than chilly at same age. 

was very aggressive against salah last night - reminded me how chilwell played against mahrez in last seasons CL final. Very much on the front foot defensively. 

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Chilwell made a big physical step up in puel’s first summer. Spent weeks running and running back home in Milton Keynes. If Luke manages similar then we really have a player. His positional sense is way better than chilly at same age. 

was very aggressive against salah last night - reminded me how chilwell played against mahrez in last seasons CL final. Very much on the front foot defensively. 

Fully agree. If he can build his engine he's going to be an absolute monster.

You're right about defending on the front foot - I saw chilwell try to do that against mahrez when we lost 1 nil in early 2029 and he ran out of gas.

Defensively he defends the back post like Danny Simpson did and whilst Danny isn't our best ever full back there is no greater compliment I can give him really.

2 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

They are very different, Chilwell is an average defender but an excellent attacker and Luke is the opposite. That is good for us in our present situation.

• Like 2

Guest Chocolate Teapot
5 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

They are very different, Chilwell is an average defender but an excellent attacker and Luke is the opposite. That is good for us in our present situation.

Chilwell wasn't even a very good attacker for us until he left aged 23. 

11 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Actually Luke has a much better end product in attacking areas at this age than Chilwell did. As other have said Chilwell has become more athletic and that helps him get to areas for Chelsea to score goals, but I would say his crossing ability, passing ability and football intelligence are behind Luke even though he's older. Once Luke builds up his athleticism like Chilwell has, which tbf is probably something that happens in the early 20's he'll be better getting forward too.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 2

I think Thomas is a better player than Chilwell, defensively more solid and definitely more tactically aware, it’s always going to be very steep learning curve for a player who has no time out on loan and been thrust straight into the most competitive league in the world from the age of 18. 

Overall I think he has been superb since he has played for the first team, I hope he continues to be first choice, as long term we will have a real player on our hands 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Chilwell became better going forward after he had that summer I referred to and his fitness levels improved hugely.  he has worked on his delivery which was also his weakness here.  Thomas has attacking weaknesses which he has to work on as a modern day full back. 

15 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

He is great at turning up unexpected , Alonso is also good at this but Chilwell is better. Chelsea will miss that.

Chillwell is thriving in new role at Chelsea as a v attacking wing back but was still suspect at Chelsea when playing in a back 4. I think Luke will be a better all round full back and can become a good top 6 level full back as he develops the attacking side of his game and hopefully can increase his acceleration as well

• Like 1

Luke Thomas is a proper old school traditional full back and I love it. They are a dying breed, a full back that just loves defending and doing it so well! When in possession, he always makes the right decision, and often executes the correct pass too. It might not always be fancy, he might not fly past on the overlap or burst into the box regularly, but he does all the basics perfectly. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

He’s also got something Chilwell doesn’t have. Bollocks and heart. Plays the game, not the player 

There was a comment from Big Wes last season saying Thomas has nerves of steel and nothing phases him, which we can see as he's often stepped up and performed well on the big occasions for us. 

• Like 2

Just now, Father Ted said:

Luke Thomas is a proper old school traditional full back and I love it. They are a dying breed, a full back that just loves defending and doing it so well! When in possession, he always makes the right decision, and often executes the correct pass too. It might not always be fancy, he might not fly past on the overlap or burst into the box regularly, but he does all the basics perfectly. 

When he burst onto the scene, he was amazing offensively with some of the crosses being pinpoint, so he's got that in his locker too. He's looking more and more like the real deal and he's going to be hard to move out of the team when Justin, Ricardo et al. come back from injury. 

• Like 1