Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Yeah I guess so. It’s weird cos I love Justin at lb, not very often right footed players play there and he does it brilliantly. But l still want Thomas to play. 

Justin on the left for me too with Barnes, that side was such a threat until both ended up injured within a few games of each other.

18 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Tbf chillwell didn’t seem ready either and he took like a duck to water. 

some players are just made for it. Thomas very well may be, he didn’t look nervous at all in the crucial game against Man U or the fa cup final 

apart from being that poor that Luke Shaw took his place?

5 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

No wonder England never win anything if Thomas is going to be selected.

He is improving but still has a lot to learn, he is nowhere near ready for international football

Could be just the confidence boost to take his game to the next level.

Let's try getting behind our boys rather than knocking them down......

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Tbf, I am not sure that’s knocking Luke down, more a comment on Southgate, Luke is looking exceptional, but it is still very early days

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

You could be right, I think confidence is definitely something he lacks.

I'm not knocking him, I think he is improving nicely. But if he does get picked it's only because there are so few English left backs playing in the Prem. In fact so few English players in every position

5 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

No wonder England never win anything if Thomas is going to be selected.

He is improving but still has a lot to learn, he is nowhere near ready for international football

Without song and verse how we get there, we've still managed to start going deep in tournaments with perceived less talent than in the 90's and 00's so something has shifted.

We all take the piss out of players going through the age groups with England and Southgate is often so blinkered with it, but given there's been some genuine success and planning with it, it does seem to have helped improve us a bit.

Thomas fits the criteria, he's just a solid and very efficient player. He gets better and better as he plays and there's nothing drastic with him that can be blown out of proportion. I think he's the real deal.

• Like 2

Amazing news if true. Certainly the next level of progress for him.

Madders has to be a cert for the next squad, so good to have a team mate to help him settle in when meeting everyone.

Would certainly make me more interested in the national team.

Luke is going to be a fantastic player for years to come, hopefully with us.

• Like 1

In what has been a very frustrating and disappointing season for us so far, I'd say that Luke has been one of very few positives.

He's really built on last year and taken his opportunity. 

I'm certainly not worried when I see his name on the team sheet. 

He scored a goal at Old Trafford, got an assist in the cup final and is a consistently solid performer.

Exciting to see local lads develop and grow.

I've said on this thread before, forget Chilwell, we could have a guy that's potentially as good in that position as Ashley Cole was.

1 hour ago, Angus Scott said:

You could be right, I think confidence is definitely something he lacks.

I'm not knocking him, I think he is improving nicely. But if he does get picked it's only because there are so few English left backs playing in the Prem. In fact so few English players in every position

That makes no difference, really. Thomas is still one of the best English left backs there is. Not many playing abroad, are there?

Edited by Raw Dykes
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Exactly the point I was trying to make, thank you for understanding

The problem is, what constitutes being worthy of England international football these days? If Thomas' solid and progressive form for us in the last 18 months doesn't put him in the picture, with a few injury problems to the first choice LB's then you also can't criticise Southgate of picking players based on reputation alone because the depth of choice might not be there for established players not to just automatically be selected.

I've seen this argument recently before where players are now considered for international appearances sooner than back in the olden days, bit the talent pool of players in that position for a particular nation playing week in, week out is different to what we were brought up on and it's about measuring against those that are already being picked.

Is Luke Thomas as good as Ben Chilwell and Luke Shaw? Well A) Chilwell is fcuked with a serious injury and B) Shaw is bang out of form so if Southgate weren't to consider the best of the rest then he'd be slated for picking Shaw on past glories alone. Who else is there in that position? Cresswell at West Ham has done well, Henry at Brentford hasn't done as well or achieved what Thomas has achieved, genuinely struggling for other serious candidates.

• Like 1