Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Can really see him being in an England squad soon. With Shaw and Chilwell both injured or unplayed, he has a brilliant chance. Especially since Trippier is also injured 

I can’t see it. Still needs to develop physically and on occasion he seems to loose all sense of his position on the pitch 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Koke said:

He's a good player to have in the squad but once James Justin is back to his best, Thomas is back as a sub. 

Unless Ricardo is still injured, then Justin starts at right back.

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

He's becoming as good defensively as Christian Fuchs was IMO. Some of his last ditch nicks and interceptions have improved astronomically in the last year, he's going to give us plenty of reliability but it's whether he he can quicken up slightly with his running on and off the ball and get back to delivering good quality crosses and passes which he is capable of.

He's developing very nicely though, he's played a lot of football for us already which is one of the few plus points of our relentless injuries in the last 2 years.

One thing about Thomas defensively is that he’s very proactive. IE he sees the danger early, runs to the ball quickly to force a turnover higher up the pitch and start an attacking transition quickly. He’s started many attacks, many of which lead to good chances or goals by doing that, and that’s why the KDH / Thomas / Barnes combo is so effective. 

Rodgers has said time and again that’s his preferred style and hence why Fofana, Soyuncu and Ricardo have excelled for us in the past. 

For his age Thomas is really good. Far from the finished article yes, but that Bertrand hasn’t had a sniff all season says it all. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

One thing about Thomas defensively is that he’s very proactive. IE he sees the danger early, runs to the ball quickly to force a turnover higher up the pitch and start an attacking transition quickly. He’s started many attacks, many of which lead to good chances or goals by doing that, and that’s why the KDH / Thomas / Barnes combo is so effective. 

Rodgers has said time and again that’s his preferred style and hence why Fofana, Soyuncu and Ricardo have excelled for us in the past. 

For his age Thomas is really good. Far from the finished article yes, but that Bertrand hasn’t had a sniff all season says it all. 

The downside of this type of proactive defending  is that we get caught with the opposition having space on their right.   Have our midfield become less aware of fulling in for a player pushing up?

1 hour ago, majaco said:

The downside of this type of proactive defending  is that we get caught with the opposition having space on their right.   Have our midfield become less aware of fulling in for a player pushing up?

That’s the risk / reward of a high press and pushing up. Man City and Liverpool often concede on the break as that space is always there. 

This season we’ve definitely stopped pressing as high up the pitch. I think it’s to save player fitness but is one of many reasons for the huge drop off. In the games we’ve done it, it’s looked great! Man U at home comes to mind. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Dunno why he stopped putting balls into the box? When he first broke into the first team he was whipping some great crosses in.

article in merc suggesting it is intentional, which i do not mind

would rather left back grounded in defending and learns how to do the rest later

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, eblair said:

article in merc suggesting it is intentional, which i do not mind

would rather left back grounded in defending and learns how to do the rest later

Exactly 👍 He's a good technical footballer but too many fullbacks are great going forward but neglect the defensive side of things. Thomas has time, and ability, on his side to fine-tune the defensive side of things before moving onto the offensive elements of the role.

Also, he has the luxury of a potentially brilliant forward player in front of him, in Barnes, who is more than enough of a threat on his own (or in tandem with the likes of Maddison, KDH etc)

It's not quite the same but think of the Simpson/Mahrez dynamic we used to have...

I think Thomas is doing great. Very little better than watching an academy product 'come good' (particularly when he comes across as humble and grounded as Luke Thomas does)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Thought Thomas, KDH and Barnes linked up really well on the left touchline all game. Caused Leeds a lot of problems. Thought it was a good tactic. 

People criticising Albrighton must remember he was left on his own a lot of the game unless the midfielders offered themselves as an outlet.  

That’s the game plan, those 3 linking up with combinations, triangles etc on the left and it’s meant to happen on the right but we don’t have the fit personnel to do this just yet, which is why yesterday was a little disjointed with everything of note coming down the left and Hamza turning the 2 into 3 at the back all the time when we attacked.

I think it was either the WHam or Wolves game we saw it on the right with Ricardo, Youri and I want to say Lookman but might have been Marc, the end game is to mirror the combinations on the right.

We need the right sided forward in the summer and probably the replacement for Youri but if fit I wouldn’t mind seeing Justin, Youri and Ricky (as forward right) doing the combinations until then.

Obvious drawback would be no room for Maddison / #10 

For a lad of his experience, it’s a remarkable season for him.

You compare him to say a Neco Williams whom some have a thing for. Williams is idly around grabbing appearances when he can and then sent out on loan. Thomas is surpassing himself past these comparable players. 

Bloke behind me moaned at him for ‘****ing about with it’. By the time he’s finished the sentence, he had turned the player and played it into midfield. 

He’s made some very good wingers look toothless this season 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Yes they are, your point?

I've been in Cardiff all day pre gaming for the rugby I'm smashed so it probably wasn't a good joke but I was making a play on the "he's or of our owl!" chants. 

We're so good we've got multiples of "our own", it's a good thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I've been in Cardiff all day pre gaming for the rugby I'm smashed so it probably wasn't a good joke but I was making a play on the "he's or of our owl!" chants. 

We're so good we've got multiples of "our own", it's a good thing. 

No worries, :beer: 

Shame Wales didn't pull it off, must have been a epic atmosphere in the ground