Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

22 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Thought he was so poor on Sunday...got out muscled acouple of times and passing was poor.

He's only 20 and would have been better if he was out on loan like what we did with KDH

Chilwell was playing for Huddersfield at 20/21. Thomas has surely proved that he is far ahead in terms of development, he has really impressed me this season and I thought he had another solid game on Sunday.

• Like 2

He's been a very dependable player for us since he started playing first team football.  That said he didn't seem as dynamic as he did before his injury. Felt as though him and Barnes lost a bit of their magic. That might not be necessarily down to just him. Lots of variables involved. Loved watching him wind up Ayew. Ayew really should have been carded.

Edited by SO1

1 hour ago, Claridge said:

lacks that extra yard of pace

Makes up for it with mentality/work ethic and just about anything else a footballer needs in order to succeed.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

I thought he was good, only got dribbled past once and made the correct decision in pulling Ayew down so he didn’t get away (our players need to do this more often)

Played a great low cross in that Lookman stuck a toe on and probably should’ve left for Daka

As alway did a decent job defensively as well

Definitely not in need of a loan (I actually think it is a bit stupid this suggestion keeps coming up) good enough to be an option for us at left back and has had plenty of standout performances for us at just 20

It's absolutely vital we dig at least one player out after every game.

With you I thought he was good, he also played in lookman with a lovely through ball which he messed up. One of the best chances of the game.

Don't see any value in a loan we'd not get a backup better than him.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

1 minute ago, happy85 said:

Been saying it for a couple of years now - LT has not improved in a attacking sense since he made in PL debut 

He has improved defensibly but very concerned about his heading ability 

You have been criticising Thomas? I am shocked to hear that!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

I thought he was good, only got dribbled past once and made the correct decision in pulling Ayew down so he didn’t get away (our players need to do this more often)

Played a great low cross in that Lookman stuck a toe on and probably should’ve left for Daka

As alway did a decent job defensively as well

Definitely not in need of a loan (I actually think it is a bit stupid this suggestion keeps coming up) good enough to be an option for us at left back and has had plenty of standout performances for us at just 20

Also played Lookman through on goal at the start of the game with a ball from inside our half (been looking for a clip of that but could not find) - What a pass that was. I think technical ability wise he's about there and seems to read the game v well but does need to strengthen up a bit and improve his acceleration - a loan won't aid those and think another 15-20 starts next season at Leicester will be more beneficial than going out on loan.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, happy85 said:

Been saying it for a couple of years now - LT has not improved in a attacking sense since he made in PL debut 

It depends what you measure as not improving going forward, he links the play excellently in the opposition half, often in those triangles with KDH and Barnes or Lookman and he regularly causes problems. He hasn't however improved his crossing which I thought was his strongest attribute in those 3 games he played at the end of the 2019/20 season.

I think he's doing absolutely fine, a loan move wouldn't really benefit him as he's been borderline first choice here for nearly a full season and he's surrounded by better players, the best facilities in the country and a manager who works well with youngsters, what else would he get elsewhere? 

That through ball to Lookman on Sunday was class as well, would have been trumped up as a fine assist. In fact he's been very hard done by not to have 3 assists in his last 3 games vs Palace. He won a peno at Selhurst Park last season and then in the home game he put a peach of a cross in to Iheanacho I think it was with the goal gaping and he missed.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, happy85 said:

Two strong headers under pressure there @ 2.52  and 15.35 could easily of got outmuscle/knocked when jumping for the ball but was strong. Tracking and timing when jumping for crosses might be an issue at times but generally his positioning at the back post when defending crosses is quite good. 

His through ball for Lookman to run onto @ 3.25 ain't bad either.

https://www.lcfc.com/tv/highlights

He's a 20 year old left back getting regular Prem football who managed to handle coming up against wingers like Mo Salah, but needs a loan to the Championship because he'll learn more that way playing at a lower level against weaker opposition and in poorer teams. Right-o. He doesn't get forward as much as when he first broke into the team playing wing back, but he has more defensive responsibility in a 4 with Barnes in front of him not exactly busting a gut to help out defensively. Luke is doing absolutely fine, and developing well. His defensive play is excellent for his age.

Edited by orangecity23
typos galore
  • Like 3

I think he’s done exceptionally well. I think he’s excellent back up to Justin, Castagne and Ricardo - and more of a natural at LB (as opposed to converted RB). His lack of pace means that he may never have some of their attacking qualities, but he should concentrate on developing in other areas: defence, passing, delivery etc..

I was nervous about relying on him at the start of the season and thought that Betrand might be the more reliable option. I have no qualms at all now and wouldn’t want to see Bertrand back at his expense - even if the others do get injured again. Personally don’t see the point of a loan as he can develop as a squad player with us.

Real progress this season! 

Edited by Jobyfox
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, happy85 said:

You've been saying it for a couple of years? So since his very first game or even before then? :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Thought he was so poor on Sunday...got out muscled acouple of times and passing was poor.

He's only 20 and would have been better if he was out on loan like what we did with KDH

Why would you loan out a player who already played 58 games for the club, including 14 European apps and played in the clubs biggest game for years the FA Cup final.

People talk about his attacking contribution but he's not that far behind the likes of Castange and Justin only Ricardo is way ahead. 

Thomas.JPG

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

I don’t think his attacking ability is bad. He is a decent passer and crosser. But he tends to naturally stay back, it’s very rare that he overlaps and swings a cross in. Not sure if that’s his choice or a tactical one. I think he’s a really solid player, but has a way to go if he’s going to be our outright first choice left back going forward. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Why would you loan out a player who already played 58 games for the club, including 14 European apps and played in the clubs biggest game for years the FA Cup final.

People talk about his attacking contribution but he's not that far behind the likes of Castange and Justin only Ricardo is way ahead. 

Thomas.JPG

But would say Ricardo is the only real attacking player on that list. It why I'm happy with the DL were linked to as he is more attacking and would compliment Thomas well and we could switch between the 2 depending on with of the skill set works best against the opposition

3 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Certainly know how to start a fire don't you.:D

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, turlo said:

Two strong headers under pressure there @ 2.52  and 15.35 could easily of got outmuscle/knocked when jumping for the ball but was strong. Tracking and timing when jumping for crosses might be an issue at times but generally his positioning at the back post when defending crosses is quite good. 

His through ball for Lookman to run onto @ 3.25 ain't bad either.

https://www.lcfc.com/tv/highlights

As you say his back post defending is actually excellent and he wins plenty of headers for someone of his size which the stats back up.

1 hour ago, Attywolf said:

But would say Ricardo is the only real attacking player on that list. It why I'm happy with the DL were linked to as he is more attacking and would compliment Thomas well and we could switch between the 2 depending on with of the skill set works best against the opposition

As Justin was really hitting peak form he was probably our best attacking outlet at times last season.

• Like 1