Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

27 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

No. But he's not gonna get any better not playing. 

Young players make mistakes, just got to stick with it IF we think he's going to be a good player in time.

I'm just not a believer in the loan system makes players better.

I feel like this an emotional driven belief than logic, because logic dictates that if Luke plays more, he will improve. As you said.

It makes sense for him to play for a team that he will start in every week which will help him improve. When he improves enough, he will be good enough to start with us every week, or he won't and he becomes a squad player or we sell him.

It seems like logically you're for the loan system and you understand what the player needs to develop, but you've decided that you don't like loans lol

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Young players make mistakes, just got to stick with it IF we think he's going to be a good player in time.

...you have to ask yourself, why do clubs send players out on loan!!!

Looking at KDH, he found himself out on loan, is he the exception. Getting regular game time in a competitive team, helps a player to grow and mature. I would think that a player having tasted Premier League football and being part of a European club squad, would relish the opportunity to continue and test himself week after week.

20 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

His football skills are fine now and should improve further. He is too lightweight and that would be exposed even more in the Championship. If he can get a loan to a PL team , he may get some decent game time. If he can't then he will have to take his opportunities with us.

....the Championship are no longer a league of "Cloggers" the quality has improved, trickled down from the Premier League!!!

44 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

That's why a loan would get him regular minutes and give him an opportunity to evolve his game. Trent's a generational talent, so was always getting in their pretty quickly. Foden is very much an exception, man city have the advantage over everyone bar liverpool of being able to just give him minutes here minutes there. We aren't in that position, if we are looking to be competitive and get within Europe next season 

• Like 1

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

....the Championship are no longer a league of "Cloggers" the quality has improved, trickled down from the Premier League!!!

No the quality is pretty good but remember how Forest easily out muscled us. As a defender Luke would be immediately targeted and his football skills wouldn't help him.

we have four fullbacks -  Ricardo,  Thomas, Timmy and justiin.  WE should not send Thomas anywhere.

We have for CBs - we should bring in one to replace Cags if he goes.

We should release vesty and bertrand.

WE have there wingers - kevin, lookman and bvarnes - we shoudl bring in one more.

In MF: keep mendy if we can (or replace with holding mid) - let hamsa and soumare go.  I think Youri will be off.  We need two central mids - - someone like dacoure would be good (we should have had him when he left Watford) - big and physical.

So that's it - one winder and two strong physical mids.

1 minute ago, foxinsocks said:

we have four fullbacks -  Ricardo,  Thomas, Timmy and justiin.  WE should not send Thomas anywhere.

We have for CBs - we should bring in one to replace Cags if he goes.

We should release vesty and bertrand.

WE have there wingers - kevin, lookman and bvarnes - we shoudl bring in one more.

In MF: keep mendy if we can (or replace with holding mid) - let hamsa and soumare go.  I think Youri will be off.  We need two central mids - - someone like dacoure would be good (we should have had him when he left Watford) - big and physical.

So that's it - one winder and two strong physical mids.

Amartey can fill in at full back if we had another crisis, seems bonkers to me go half thomas' potential development just in the theory of the worst case scenario happening. And even then if we went to a back 3 Marc could fill in as a wing back 

1 minute ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Amartey can fill in at full back if we had another crisis, seems bonkers to me go half thomas' potential development just in the theory of the worst case scenario happening. And even then if we went to a back 3 Marc could fill in as a wing back 

I expect both timmy and justin may have more proness to injury next season.  

14 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

No the quality is pretty good but remember how Forest easily out muscled us. As a defender Luke would be immediately targeted and his football skills wouldn't help him.

....that was because we were all mentally weak on the night!!!

The way we are using him, I suspect, we are eroding his confidence, it is noticeable that he is not the same player who first came into the team. He has been described as someone with ice in his veins, not easily phased. Our match up and support for him has not helped, and he tends to end up marking two players, because we haven't the sense to adjust to alleviate that burden on him.

Edited by sacreblueits442

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

Chillwell who always had an incredible engine and it was very clear that his athleticism was top notch? That Chillwell?

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you mean by stature, in which case I apologise :D

Stature as in small, 10 stone wet through. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bert said:

Stature as in small, 10 stone wet through. 

There are a lot of skinny players these days, trained like marathon runners instead of sprinters. They get away with it probably because referees protect them , at least in the PL.. However having a powerful physique like Lewandowski or Ronaldo is still a major asset. It remains a physical contact sport.

Edited by An Sionnach

4 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

That's why a loan would get him regular minutes and give him an opportunity to evolve his game. Trent's a generational talent, so was always getting in their pretty quickly. Foden is very much an exception, man city have the advantage over everyone bar liverpool of being able to just give him minutes here minutes there. We aren't in that position, if we are looking to be competitive and get within Europe next season 

Surely if we have a strong(ish) squad,we should be able to give such young players ,not only minutes but occasional full game-time..

Plus we have no crystal-ball, Justin Castagna, Amartey, Ricardo, might again fall foul to injuries.Plus CB uncertainties,where a couple of the forementioned,might find themselves,playing in another position..

Thomas next season could even be pushing considered better players, & like Justin before him,become a serious 1st choicer...

Some posters don't learn from previous..

Let  the manager & relevant player(s),

find their new season balance..

What we all think now, as no relevance to the next season..

Guest Col city fan
4 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

There are a lot of skinny players these days, trained like marathon runners instead of sprinters. They get away with it probably because referees protect them , at least in the PL.. However having a powerful physique like Lewandowski or Ronaldo is still a major asset. It remains a physical contact sport.

It’s getting the balance right isn’t it. Slim enough to not gas but with enough strength to not get bullied.

It’s all about stats re body fat etc. Ie sports science.

Most current top players when seen close up have got hardly any body fat on them. Thomas just needs to grow I think. Give it a couple of seasons and the balance will be about right 

19 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It’s getting the balance right isn’t it. Slim enough to not gas but with enough strength to not get bullied.

It’s all about stats re body fat etc. Ie sports science.

Most current top players when seen close up have got hardly any body fat on them. Thomas just needs to grow I think. Give it a couple of seasons and the balance will be about right 

I think he will have to work at it , he is about 5'10' so should be looking at 160 lbs. JJ is just about ideal. 

Guest Col city fan
13 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I think he will have to work at it , he is about 5'10' so should be looking at 160 lbs. JJ is just about ideal. 

JJ always looks a naturally bigger build though I think?

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Nalis said:

21 today. Keep forgetting he's that young and a sign he's still learning but getting so much experience as it feels like he's been around for ages! 

I'm not convinced with Thomas. Would prefer he were loaned to a decent championship club to better his game.

2 hours ago, UHDrive said:

I'm not convinced with Thomas. Would prefer he were loaned to a decent championship club to better his game.

sending him to play against players he is clearly better than will not better his game, some players need it some don't stop using it as a trope

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Why will that better his game out of interest vs the best facilities in Europe with a superior coach to anything in the Championship and getting 20-30 games a season at a higher level?

Because I don't think personally, imo, he's going to be good enough for the demands of what our team needs. I've always said that Thomas lacks pace, lacks athletism and isn't good enough on the ball particularly his passing range. I'm not slating the guy, he's got great attributes to him and we've all seen them. But as I've said, imo we don't need a kind of player who is a downgrade on chilly and where we already struggle in athletism and passing. Hence what we have RB I.e Castagne/RP and LB I.e. JJ/?? Is what is missing. 

7 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Because I don't think personally, imo, he's going to be good enough for the demands of what our team needs. I've always said that Thomas lacks pace, lacks athletism and isn't good enough on the ball particularly his passing range. I'm not slating the guy, he's got great attributes to him and we've all seen them. But as I've said, imo we don't need a kind of player who is a downgrade on chilly and where we already struggle in athletism and passing. Hence what we have RB I.e Castagne/RP and LB I.e. JJ/?? Is what is missing. 

That's all fair enough but going on loan to the Championship changes nothing if that's all true.

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That's all fair enough but going on loan to the Championship changes nothing if that's all true.

I can see your point of view and agree. It wouldn't be the answer. Maybe looking from his angle a promoted team maybe, usually they seek his expertise in the first 3rd of the pitch. He's city through and though which makes me feel a bit crap saying it but it's just how I see things.

49 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

I've always said that Thomas lacks pace, lacks athletism and isn't good enough on the ball particularly his passing range.

I think it was his first game when he surprised everyone to peg it up field and lay a perfect pass that Vardy wasn’t expecting. And it’s difficult to say a few days after his 21st birthday that he’s the finished article.

• Like 1