Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Luke Thomas

13 minutes ago, Dames said:

He really needs second puberty to hit just like it did with Chilwell. He still just looks too scrawny. 

True, does look scrawny for a 21yr old. Looks more like 17. He needs to do some strength training, this will definitely help his speed and power. 

12 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Why will that better his game out of interest vs the best facilities in Europe with a superior coach to anything in the Championship and getting 20-30 games a season at a higher level?

12 hours ago, Jimmy said:

sending him to play against players he is clearly better than will not better his game, some players need it some don't stop using it as a trope

Sometimes I agree with what you've said, but Luke Thomas seems like one of those confidence type players, a bit like Barnes.

When he's having a good game you see it in his body language, when he's up against a more tricky opponent he starts to get pulled apart.

Loaning him out would give him a solid run of games rather than being in and out of a side. He's a good player, potential future England left back, but being in and out of the 1st team seems to have stunted his growth a little. When he first came into the side he looked miles ahead of his predecessor, Chillwell, and looked like he'd go on to be much, much better. Right now thought, his development path has him turning out worse than Chillwell.

Loaning him out may improve his confidence which could lead to better decision making, physicality, positioning. These are the areas I feel he lacks in, and as a left back, they're pretty important 

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Sometimes I agree with what you've said, but Luke Thomas seems like one of those confidence type players, a bit like Barnes.

When he's having a good game you see it in his body language, when he's up against a more tricky opponent he starts to get pulled apart.

Loaning him out would give him a solid run of games rather than being in and out of a side. He's a good player, potential future England left back, but being in and out of the 1st team seems to have stunted his growth a little. When he first came into the side he looked miles ahead of his predecessor, Chillwell, and looked like he'd go on to be much, much better. Right now thought, his development path has him turning out worse than Chillwell.

Loaning him out may improve his confidence which could lead to better decision making, physicality, positioning. These are the areas I feel he lacks in, and as a left back, they're pretty important 

Thing is. , a couple of bad games and he is benched like so many if our loanees. There is no guarantee of game time , clubs will not carry loaned players , they need results.

All for young lads playing internationally but his involvement will mean he can’t spend his summer in the gym bulking up.

saw a tweet from groundsman saying just over 2 weeks to get training ground ready so guessing that’s when the lads are back in. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stadt said:

He needs to play every week, he’s probably going to start a maximum of 10 games next season.

A loan to bottom half PL club or to a top flight abroad is what he needs.

You really think our injury problems are just going to disappear next season? He'll play 20+ games.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You really think our injury problems are just going to disappear next season? He'll play 20+ games.

Without Europe and a 3 week break in the middle of the season I think we’ll be fine at fullback.

He started 31 games this amongst our most injury hit season ever. No doubt JJ, Castagne & Pereira will get a few knocks but I’m convinced he’s only starting on the cups 

1 hour ago, Lesta2014 said:

All for young lads playing internationally but his involvement will mean he can’t spend his summer in the gym bulking up.

saw a tweet from groundsman saying just over 2 weeks to get training ground ready so guessing that’s when the lads are back in. 

The boys who have been on intnal duty will have additional time off - they finish mid this week and will be probably be expected back around 10th July.  Just under four week until the season begins from there.  

does anyone know if we have an Austria camp this July? If so, their return could be tied into that. 

• Like 1

Keep him with the first team next season, he had some great games and some bad games last season for us but who didn’t? He’s young and still got plenty to learn but I can’t see much benefit of a loan move when he’ll get plenty of game time with us next season. 

Big season for Luke this is, really needs to show some improvement. Whether that be with us or on loan at another club. He needs to start looking like a player that can get up and down the pitch and is useful at both ends of the pitch. I see a very basic player in Luke, no particular area stands out, he's got all the makings of a solid no thrills full back at the minute.

He's crying out for a KDH style fitness plan to get him beefed up and a more powerful runner. I'd be surprised if we do anymore than basic fitness drills under Rodgers, don't want to eat into the "pointless passing" drills too much.

16 minutes ago, Webbo said:

He's played probably more than half the games last season. I think he's passed the point of going on loan to lower division to improve his game.

Mainly through necessity though, once Justin was back Thomas barely got a look in. I don't think there'd be any shame in going to a top half championship team, where we would hope he would be one of the teams top players and push on. At the minute he's very much a back up with no pressure or expectation on his shoulders. 

I think being put in a position where more is demanded of him and fans expect him to put in top performances week in week out would likely help drive improvement.

• Like 1

Thomas is a good kid and a good player. The club have to figure out how to make him bettter. Some thing has happened along the way where he has lost some defensive abilities maybe he’s been pushed too much on that side that it’s affected his confidence going forward something we all liked when he burst onto the scene.

2 hours ago, cal21212121 said:

I don't really understand the, in my opinion, disproportionate hate towards Thomas / questioning of his abilities.

To those saying he is crap going forward, when he broke into the side for us that was one of his strengths. He was exciting charging forward often, both overlapping and underlapping. That's disappeared from his game to an extent last season, but I feel that's more of a tactical/coaching decision to get him to improve his defensive game, which he has done making nipping Infront of the winger a key part of regaining possession. Remember he is young, if he could piece together both the offensive and defensive sides of his game he'll be immense for us.

I feel he's better than JJ and Timmy at defending the back post at left back. As for his perceived lack of passing ability it is somewhat unfair as alot of it comes down to not having anyone in front of him when Rodgers plays with 2 down the middle or Lookman drifting in more centrally leaving no passing option down the line. With Barnes offering the line option and KDH offering the inside option, there's no issue and they were linking up really well. He also puts quite a few good balls in behind for Vardy and Barnes to run onto.

And defensive solidity in general, I think alot of the issues stem from having Soyuncu, who has largely been dire for the last two years, alongside him (the lampost as well). With a solid CB partnership I don't see any issues with Thomas, when JJ returns to form he's obviously better, but Thomas is not a bad player. Certainly not championship level.

This in a nutshell.

The big question mark on Thomas is his physicality - if he was as quick as JJ or Duracell bunny like Timmy he would easily be our first choice LB if ask me.

For exactly the reasons you pointed out - still think Timmy is our best FB out of the four though right now.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

This in a nutshell.

The big question mark on Thomas is his physicality - if he was as quick as JJ or Duracell bunny like Timmy he would easily be our first choice LB if ask me.

For exactly the reasons you pointed out - still think Timmy is our best FB out of the four though right now.

Time for the young lad to turn on best mode and spend summer in the gym 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Webbo said:

He's played probably more than half the games last season. I think he's passed the point of going on loan to lower division to improve his game.

How can he improve if he doesn't play?

I think it's clear to everyone that his greatest weakness is his physicality...That will only improve by playing regularly. 

Keeping him as 3rd choice, is certainly not going to improve him like we need to.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

How can he improve if he doesn't play?

I think it's clear to everyone that his greatest weakness is his physicality...That will only improve by playing regularly. 

Keeping him as 3rd choice, is certainly not going to improve him like we need to.

Not necessarily. Chilwell spent a summer improving his physicality. Came back a lot fitter and stronger.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, foxinsox said:

Good enough for a Wembly Cup Final victory as I recall. Definitely one to keep.

That’s somewhat irrelevant now though let’s be honest. His rate of improvement has slowed down somewhat due to a host of reasons but I really like him and think he could be excellent. 

Still plenty of time on his side, hoping a more settled back four and less injuries in the side next season will benefit him because he’s looked men against boys sometimes this year.