Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Ozan Kabak

15 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Bit of a side note but what happened to the lad from Preston? Didn’t see a minute did he? 

Was that Ben Davies? Liverpool fan at work reckons Glasgow Rangers have signed him.

Defo NOT ITK though! :schmike:

35 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

We're looking at reinforcements with an eye on developing here.

This will be my last point as it’s a fair one.

If that’s the case, why are we signing Ryan Bertrand?

Reinforcements with an eye on developing here is our usual strategy, that doesn’t mean it should be our strategy all of the time.

We’re signing Bertrand for a reason, to replace the experience we’ve lost in Fuchs, because it’s a sensible signing to make.

People think I’m slagging off Kabak and he’d be a terrible signing, that isn’t the case. I’d have Kabak at Leicester, but at this moment in time he isn’t the right fit for what we need, especially after losing Wes.

I’ll leave it there :thumbup:

1 minute ago, kingfox said:

Reinforcements with an eye on developing here is our usual strategy, that doesn’t mean it should be our strategy all of the time.

We’re signing Bertrand for a reason, to replace the experience we’ve lost in Fuchs, because it’s a sensible signing to make.

People think I’m slagging off Kabak and he’d be a terrible signing, that isn’t the case. I’d have Kabak at Leicester, but at this moment in time he isn’t the right fit for what we need, especially after losing Wes.

I think it's because Bertrand is an experienced player who still has something to offer and is also available for free. It could be the case that there's not a similar player on the market at CB. It could be that the ones we want are too expensive, and the ones that are within our budget aren't good enough.

You can't get exactly what you want with every transfer.

I think it's likely that the Kabak deal is just too good for us to pass up on.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hack said:

Kabak is still young and is a class player.  Also for us, I don't think this has been mentioned on here but his teammate on the Turkish national team is our own Soyoncu.  They have a clear working relationship and think this would be a major reason to bring him in.

Yes, that's all good. Also, I saw an interview with him, when at Liverpool and his English was pretty decent. One extra plus - which of course we didn't have with Sunch, it took him ages to master the language. 

26 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I think it's because Bertrand is an experienced player who still has something to offer and is also available for free. It could be the case that there's not a similar player on the market at CB. It could be that the ones we want are too expensive, and the ones that are within our budget aren't good enough.

Agree and one point we haven't really acknowledged is that with our current CBs, Soyuncu has been here 3 years, so his experience is improving. I will take the note that he seems somewhat impulsive at times, but his more experienced than once he was.

Wesley is tantamount to generational talent, he has all the skills and composure of a more seasoned pro, with only occassional lapses.

These players are not the same as when we got Evans in, they too have grown, become more experienced.

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

That’s the same case for various CB’s mate, hence why I mentioned the likes of Gary Cahill & Jose Fonte last night.

That’s all we need at this moment in time, a nice experienced back up potentially on a free, to cover for Evans when he’s out.

Bertrand has something to offer, so do the likes of Cahill & Fonte. Cahill might be 35, but he played 20 games last season. Fonte might be 37, but he just won Ligue 1 with Lille. Plus they are two players that fit exactly what Rodgers is looking for, yes they are experienced, but they are also winners. 

The Kabak deal on paper is a good one, I’ve said that; however at this moment in time it doesn’t mean it’s the right one. 

21 minutes ago, kingfox said:

I understand you point, I think the club see Kabak to good an offer to turn down, we have track him for sometime.

I think ideally we want Tarks, but that just no happening due to cost pressures.

Maybe we can't find that experience with the right quality at the right cost?

Edited by coolhandfox
typo
  • Like 3

We do need experience yes but soyuncu has to be forced to take a step up and after playing in the euros and getting older he should have more responsability. 

Bertrand signing will help as well. 

We could even sell amartey and sign someone like Cahill tbh

16 minutes ago, kingfox said:

That’s the same case for various CB’s mate, hence why I mentioned the likes of Gary Cahill & Jose Fonte last night.

That’s all we need at this moment in time, a nice experienced back up potentially on a free, to cover for Evans when he’s out.

Bertrand has something to offer, so do the likes of Cahill & Fonte. Cahill might be 35, but he played 20 games last season. Fonte might be 37, but he just won Ligue 1 with Lille. Plus they are two players that fit exactly what Rodgers is looking for, yes they are experienced, but they are also winners. 

The Kabak deal on paper is a good one, I’ve said that; however at this moment in time it doesn’t mean it’s the right one. 

Just regarding those 2 players

Jose Fonte is signing a new 2 year deal with Lille, and Cahill is supposedly in talks for a new deal at Palace

Edited by moore_94

3 minutes ago, NasPb said:

We do need experience yes but soyuncu has to be forced to take a step up and after playing in the euros and getting older he should have more responsability. 

Bertrand signing will help as well. 

We could even sell amartey and sign someone like Cahill tbh

Not sure Palace would want to sale Cahill as they have a thin squad already. 

I'd imagine his wages would be double or triple Amartey's as well.

4 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Cahill and Fonte might just be a bit too old to be considered. It's always risky signing a player of that age, as they can decline rapidly at any point.

I do agree that an experienced player would be preferable, but there are other things to consider. I think the club might well have wanted an experienced player, as well, but a deal like this could be enough to tip the balance.

If we do end up signing Kabak, or another young CB, I will be a bit worried the next time Evans is unavailable, but let's not forget that Soyuncu and Fofana have barely even played in the same team yet. They could well still form a good partnership over time. Everyone in the squad who played regularly last season has a year's more experience than this time last year, as well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Just regarding those 2 players

Jose Fonte is signing a new 2 year deal with Lille, and Cahill is supposedly in talks for a new deal at Palace

Should have got in there quick, Rudkin out. 

9 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Cahill and Fonte might just be a bit too old to be considered. It's always risky signing a player of that age, as they can decline rapidly at any point.

I do agree that an experienced player would be preferable, but there are other things to consider. I think the club might well have wanted an experienced player, as well, but a deal like this could be enough to tip the balance.

If we do end up signing Kabak, or another young CB, I will be a bit worried the next time Evans is unavailable, but let's not forget that Soyuncu and Fofana have barely even played in the same team yet. They could well still form a good partnership over time. Everyone in the squad who played regularly last season has a year's more experience than this time last year, as well.

CB’s at that age can also still do the business when called upon, just look at Fonte last season, just look at Chiellini & Bonucci at the Euros.

You have to weigh up the bigger picture, especially as we’ve just lost a key experienced figure in Wes. We could sign Kabak this summer, we could sign Tarkowski next summer, we’d be left with five CB’s, bit unnecessary.

If we sign Kabak and Evans ends up getting injured, I seriously hope we revert to a back two, of Soyuncu/Fofana or Soyuncu Kabak. A back three of Soyuncu, Kabak & Fofana is just too inexperienced to play at this level, I doubt many fans would have confidence in it. 

Those scenarios are a risk that could easily backfire, and if it does backfire, then not only could we miss out on top four again, they’ll be many fans saying “We should have got experience”.

Sometimes I think some fans don’t understand how vital a player like Evans is, he is like gorilla glue in that defence.

Should we sign Kabak, will he be considered as 4th choice or one of 4 centre backs used on a rotational basis.

Centre back pairings need time to gel and continual rotation means a lack of cohesion in a critical area of the pitch. However, My concern, though, would be if used as an occasional player, how would he improve and learn. He would probably make mistakes due to lack of game time and then lose confidence after abuse from a small minority.

38 minutes ago, escape2victory said:

Not going to get too much better defensive squad depth than this in the Prem to be honest:

Castagne        Fofana     Evans       Justin

Ricardo      Soyuncu     Kabak      Bertrand

Thomas

Also got amartey, Benkovic, Daley-Campbell still under contract too. Can see all 3 going out on loan though. 

• Like 1

Ain't that keen but for 12m, even if he comes, plays a couple of seasons and isn't that great, we can get rid of him for what we paid at worst, whilst signing another CB to replace Evans in the meantime. Alternatively he comes, plays class, develops into a good EPL CB and stays here for a few years, all for 12m.