Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

9 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I think the same with Jonathan Agnew. 

He's EXACTLY the sort of aloof, privileged toff that holds cricket back. Getting him - a white, late middle aged Uppingham school educated posho -  to discuss racism is excruciating, at best. 

Having previously moaned about ageism on FT, I now feel it's time to have a moan about classism, something else which appears depressingly often on this forum. Tbh, the message quoted could be deemed to exhibit three -isms, if you look closely enough.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Tim Paine resigned as captain overnight because of an incident a few years back involving texts to a female colleague. 

Who doesn’t sound like she is totally free of scandal but yes certainly isn’t a good look for him as captain.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-19/cricket-australia-tim-paine-sexting-scandal/100634922

Dose this mean they will make Steve Smith captain ?

9 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Who doesn’t sound like she is totally free of scandal but yes certainly isn’t a good look for him as captain.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-19/cricket-australia-tim-paine-sexting-scandal/100634922

Unsure on the captaincy, interesting to see if he still plays as I'm sure there's a number of better keepers/batsman who have struggled to get in the side with Paine being captain (therefore undroppable)

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

It's like they've planned it that way

2 minutes ago, Walkers said:

I don't understand what is so bad about what he's done that he has to resign? Am I being dense 

Yeah if those are the actual texts then I'm with you. Seems 2 adults having a bit of fun, albeit in a cringy way. Probably more to do with the fact he is/was married than the actual content. 

Meh. 

Bit weird from Paine. Looks like he just wants the excuse to quit the captain role. I guess it does bring unwanted attention and he can avoid press conferences. Press have probably been sitting on this for a while and as usual wait until just before a big event to release it. 

For me, unless it's to someone underage it's got nothing to do with anyone other than his family. 

13 hours ago, Lionator said:

What Rafiq said barely registers on the scale of the abuse that he received. Sustained racial discrimination and bullying over a number of years as part of destructive culture is not the same as a single offensive comment on a social media site.

think what rafiq said sort of chimed exactly with the culture of cricket; changing room culture where everything is acceptable and nothing is too offensive. doesn't excuse what he said, but definitely does nothing to discredit it

(think he was always quite open he was not proud of way he behaved when he was younger)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, st albans fox said:

nothing particularly terrible

I mean, it was pretty disgusting to be honest. 

But it's also quite obviously been dug up as a classic ad hominem move to discredit Rafiq. As soon as he came out with his accusations it was near inevitable that someone responded this way. 

It's the racism equivalent of digging through a rape victim's social media to find pictures of them partying drunk in skimpy outfits. 

It's ludicrously transparent and takes nothing away at all from Rafiq's accusations but that's very much the intention and it sadly will work with a lot of people. 

• Haha 1