Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

14 hours ago, String fellow said:

Having previously moaned about ageism on FT, I now feel it's time to have a moan about classism, something else which appears depressingly often on this forum. Tbh, the message quoted could be deemed to exhibit three -isms, if you look closely enough.

Sounds like the sort of comment you'd get from the people that cry on Facebook that "boomer" is a slur. 

• Like 1

Now Alex Hales is apologising for dressing up as Tupac in 2009. A shit idea yes, even in 2009, but relevant in any way to continuous racial discrimination in cricket? No. 

I think it all highlights the 'lad' culture in changing rooms in lots of sports in the late teens and early twenties. Whether it be racial stereotyping, sexism, homophobia or taking the piss out the fat or ginger bloke. So many people would have had that period of their lives ruined because of abuse like this in the name of 'banter'. 

15 hours ago, Bert said:

He shouldn’t have gone through what he’s had to go through but to come out knowing he’s actually part of the problem… Well I just don’t know what to think anymore. 

Atleast he made s full apology unlike Yorkshire.

Something like this was bound to crop up, the old boys brigade will regroup and start a counter attack on him to belittle what he says

Edited by Raj

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Now Alex Hales is apologising for dressing up as Tupac in 2009. A shit idea yes, even in 2009, but relevant in any way to continuous racial discrimination in cricket? No. 

Reports now coming in that 50% of the black and white minstrels are shitting themselves 

1 hour ago, Raj said:

Atleast he made s full apology unlike Yorkshire.

Something like this was bound to crop up, the old boys brigade will regroup and start a counter attack on him to belittle what he says

It's funny how the same people who stated that the racism Rafiq endured was 'old news' but as soon as they found out about the tweet Rafiq posted a decade ago they think its so terrible.

2 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

It's funny how the same people who stated that the racism Rafiq endured was 'old news' but as soon as they found out about the tweet Rafiq posted a decade ago they think its so terrible.

I don't think I'm arguing with you here. I have huge sympathy for Rafiq and have been pretty stunned by the evidence that he has given, yet there is a flipside to what you are saying, because some of the people who were (rightly) screaming bloody murder about Rafiq's treatment are now offering lame excuses and giving a free pass to casual Jew hate, something that to his great credit not even Rafiq is doing himself.

I'm very comfortable with the idea that he has been treated abominably, but is also a bit of a bellend himself. I don't see why in this instance each action can't be based on it's own merits and Rafiq be condemned for a common anti Jewish trope which is every bit as offensive as some of the names he himself has been subjected too. 

I'm sick to death of racists and I'm also so, so, tired of this hierarchy of victimhood bollocks.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Any news on who will take the helm now Paine has binned it? Naturally I think it would be Smith and or Warner but history isn’t kind to them either. Maybe Kuwaja? Wade? Lyon? 

Probably Cummins I think. Warner has been banned from leadership roles by CA and doubt they'd want the PR furore involved with reappointing Smith right before the Ashes. Wade not in the squad but Khawaja might not be a bad bet for them, he captains Queensland I think?

2 minutes ago, Osavo said:

Probably Cummins I think. Warner has been banned from leadership roles by CA and doubt they'd want the PR furore involved with reappointing Smith right before the Ashes. Wade not in the squad but Khawaja might not be a bad bet for them, he captains Queensland I think?

Cummins doesn’t strike me as much of a leader is all. 

12 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Cummins doesn’t strike me as much of a leader is all. 

Agree, but he seems a steady eddy and is vice-captain already. I doubt they'll want too much change this close to a major series so I'd imagine they'll install him for now and reassess after the Ashes. Could be wrong of course.

On 19/11/2021 at 16:41, worth_the_wait said:

BBC article says:

"Former England batter Alex Hales has apologised for "all the offence" he has caused after a photo showing him wearing black make-up was published."

That is absolutely disgusting.  

It is "batsman", not "batter".

It isn’t. Read the laws of the game. It states batter 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

Don't know what they feed their youngsters in New Zealand, but it makes for solid sportsmen. I can't help but admire the black caps for again dealing with the huge disappointment of a World cup final defeat, packing up their kit bags and shipping off to India and putting up a real fight in the first test. It'll be tough batting last after losing the toss, but reducing the Indians to 103/6 gives them a shot. Great team across all formats.

Can't help feeling Paine has been really set up in this one. Whatever else you think of him, he came in at a time when Australian cricket was in the gutter. He's had the odd problem himself as captain, but he's led a much more likeable Australian team and they've improved their on field reputation under his captaincy. I sense that isn't quite enough though, and many Australians will have seen his nice guy persona as the biggest exploitable weakness in the Aussie armoury. They will do everything they can to eradicate a weakness with the Ashes so close. Couple that with an underwhelming test record and he was always likely to go.

Pretty ruthless by the Aussies, completely throwing Paine under the bus, but it's likely to make them a more aggressive team at home and harder to beat. If England can stand up to that aggression, they have a chance, but the Australians will be stronger for removing Paine. Gulp.

25 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Don't know what they feed their youngsters in New Zealand, but it makes for solid sportsmen. I can't help but admire the black caps for again dealing with the huge disappointment of a World cup final defeat, packing up their kit bags and shipping off to India and putting up a real fight in the first test. It'll be tough batting last after losing the toss, but reducing the Indians to 103/6 gives them a shot. Great team across all formats.

I'm surprised they didn't take a first innings lead considering the opening partnership they had. 

Gives me hope the bowlers can come good for us in the 2nd innings as there may not be a substantial lead to defend.